Author Topic: watershipdown 100km 2012  (Read 4955 times)

watershipdown 100km 2012
« on: 29 December, 2011, 04:47:09 pm »
who will be out to enjoy this fine ride? a chance to check the winter fitness :thumbsup:

Re: watershipdown 100km 2012
« Reply #1 on: 30 December, 2011, 08:17:43 am »
It's my most local ride.... but with no 200 on offer, the Poor Student the previous day will take precedence.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #2 on: 30 December, 2011, 08:21:24 am »
Entry being sent today.

H

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #3 on: 30 December, 2011, 05:40:32 pm »
Entry sent today...

P
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 01 January, 2012, 04:07:51 pm »
I may cycle round to Sue's tomorrow (if I can manage to pedlal my lethargic bulk around there).

Now then, where did I put my bike?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2012, 07:11:12 am »
I entered some time ago. It's a nice ride to the start for me via the Candovers.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Hummers

« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2012, 09:42:59 am »
Perfect weather for it today, in fact...

H

« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2012, 01:19:15 pm »
Perfect weather for it today, in fact...

It is now  8)

It's my most local ride.... but with no 200 on offer, the Poor Student the previous day will take precedence.

A circuitous route to the start will get you up to 200km  :thumbsup:

I'm hoping for better than last year (DNF) and 2010 (cancelled due to ice and snow)

Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2012, 02:49:25 pm »
Is the route unchanged (from 2008)?

I may need to enter on the line as I have a cold I'm trying to get over.

I have:

Wherwell
Weyhill
Chutes
Conholt Hill (down)
Combe Gibbet (up)
Kintbury
Burghclere
Then back via Watership Down

If so I can probably ride it from memory and local knowledge

« Reply #9 on: 04 January, 2012, 04:06:27 pm »

Hi Lee,

You're about right, but there are two different route versions and this one goes out via Barton Stacey, follows the Bourne valley almost to Vernham Dean and climbs up to emerge at the top of Conholt Hill to get to the Hatchett Inn.

Then via Linkenholt and up to your spiritual home of Faccombe rather than up to Combe Gibbet, but the route thereafter is the same I think.

See you Sunday,

Alan
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

LEE

« Reply #10 on: 04 January, 2012, 05:11:43 pm »

Hi Lee,

You're about right, but there are two different route versions and this one goes out via Barton Stacey, follows the Bourne valley almost to Vernham Dean and climbs up to emerge at the top of Conholt Hill to get to the Hatchett Inn.

Then via Linkenholt and up to your spiritual home of Faccombe rather than up to Combe Gibbet, but the route thereafter is the same I think.

See you Sunday,

Alan

Cheers Al, PM sent for route sheet.  Sounds great and about time I visited the Hatchett Inn again, lovely place.

LEE

« Reply #11 on: 06 January, 2012, 09:52:40 pm »
For all you Rock Historians....

The things you learn plotting a route.

Actually I know 90% of the route very well but, doing a Google Earth Flight Simulator over part of the route I came by this

It's Stargroves Manor at instruction - 1st L (EAST END) (About 2 miles after the hang-on-to-your-brakes descent into Woodhay).

From Wikipedia

Mick Jagger purchased the estate in 1970 for ₤55,000.

The Rolling Stones recorded there before their move to France in spring 1971. These recordings were laid down via a Mobile Recording Studio control room located in a custom-built truck known as the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio. The band recorded a number of albums and singles at Stargroves including various tracks which appeared on Exile On Main Street, Sticky Fingers and It's Only Rock 'n Roll.

Other bands also recorded at Stargroves using the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio. The Who recorded a number of songs there including "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Pure and Easy" in 1971. In 1972, Led Zeppelin recorded parts of the albums Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti there. Other artists who have recorded in the Rolling Stones' studio are Deep Purple, Status Quo, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Santana and Iron Maiden.

The exterior of the house and its grounds were also extensively used for filming the Doctor Who stories Pyramids of Mars (1975) and Image of the Fendahl (1977). Both stories featured the Fourth Doctor.

In 1998 Rod Stewart bought Stargroves for £2.5million. However, he never lived there and sold it a few months later, at the same time as his settlement for his divorce from Rachel Hunter.

£55k seems reasonable, even in 1970.

Hummers

« Reply #12 on: 07 January, 2012, 09:02:30 am »
Am all set for the ride to/from Pompey.

Looking forward to seeing you all at Kings Worthy church hall.

H

AndyH

« Reply #13 on: 07 January, 2012, 09:37:31 am »
I've emailed Sue asking for an EOL, will hopefully see you tomorrow. Is the entire Pompey crew attending?

Hummers

« Reply #14 on: 07 January, 2012, 10:05:45 am »
Not the full set.

From what I know, Postie, Plodder and Andy (not sure if you know him) and me are meeting on top of Portsdown Hill plus (I think) Priddy for 7:15.

Others (Marcia and Del) are starting from Winchester. 

H

LEE

« Reply #15 on: 07 January, 2012, 04:46:20 pm »
Went for a 6 mile walk today, weather was absolutely glorious for January (it wasn't all that bad for May to be honest).

Looks set for the same tomorrow so it should be a great ride with some great views.

It will be a pleasant novelty, after last Jan's Winter Wind-Up, descending to Woodhay without tip-toeing gingerly down the half-mile sheet of ice.

I'll be riding to/from start from Andover.

Hummers

« Reply #16 on: 07 January, 2012, 05:27:10 pm »
I think it was icy on the Watership Down last year (and/or the year before) in more than one spot, IIRC.

There was a downhill moment where both my wheels were locked and to avoid an impending road surface encounter, I decided to pitch into the raised bank on the side of the hill rather then being deposited on the tarmac.

Ah, happy days.

H

AndyH

« Reply #17 on: 07 January, 2012, 05:37:01 pm »
Sounds scary. Did you leave a deposit on the tarmac? Just wondering.

AndyH

« Reply #18 on: 08 January, 2012, 05:11:36 pm »
A grand day out, fine route with good company.

I managed to avoid the legendary sarcasm of the Pompey Posse by deploying the amazing exploding chain. The first time it snapped (10 k in) I shortened it by a couple of links but the shock had damaged the rear mech and it made some strange noises. The second time it snapped it managed to wrap itself round the front mech, so single speed was the order of the day.

All to no avail as Hummers, Postie, Plodder & Priddy waited to taunt me at the finish. Counselling appointment duly booked. Actually it was great to see you all

Lessons learned - an SRAM chain with hollow pins and holes in the links is not supposed to last 12 months of Audax. Single speed is quite liberating - no levers to mess about with.

And an amazing turnout - 140 ish, lots of club peletons, which got me thinking about the Brevet UK / AUKi stuff all over again.

LEE

« Reply #19 on: 08 January, 2012, 06:00:28 pm »
Lovely day, lovely route but I had an absolute nightmare of a ride, absolutely no "go" in the legs at any point.  It started to go bad on the first climb and got progressively worse with each subsequent one.  Eventually, with 24km to go, I bailed out as the route goes close to my home and I didn't fancy the ride home after finishing.  I knew things weren't right when, after slogging out of Cole Henly, a "blip" of a climb usually, I was feeling very cold rather than hot.  I was in a hot bath at home within the hour trying to raise the core temperature.  Too much too soon after a 2 month lay-off maybe, too soon after recovering from a cold perhaps. 
Did I really complete PBP?  Hard to believe because I finished this 100km in a worse physical state than PBP.

Don't let my suffer-fest give you the wrong impression, it's a superb route with lots of great views and lots, I mean LOTS, of good company.

Some Faces at the start

Sitting out at the Hatchett Inn at 200m.  You'd normally be skating up there at this time of year

Descending from Linkenholt on final approach to Faccombe

After granny-ringing my way up to Faccombe I've never been so glad to see Faccombe Church.  I stopped briefly, AndyH asked if I was praying (I was praying for no more climbing but nobody was listening)

In with the new

Out with the old

St Marybourne, a welcome sight on my ride home.

Hummers

« Reply #20 on: 08 January, 2012, 06:38:31 pm »
Great pics LEE  :thumbsup:

A very fine day awheel for me and the Pompey Wednesday Night Pub ride crew  ;D

Pretty much perfect weather for a well attended event and the ride to/from the start/finish.

:thumbsup:

H

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #21 on: 08 January, 2012, 10:09:52 pm »
Hatchett Inn - who ate all the biscuits? there were none left when we arrived.

Chute Causeway

View from the descent to Venham Dean

PBP frame number from 1999, banana skin a little more recent

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur