Author Topic: Corrupted Garmin Fit - looking for a little help please  (Read 1441 times)

Corrupted Garmin Fit - looking for a little help please
« on: 11 September, 2011, 01:31:06 pm »
Afternoon,
Had a good 400km DIY ride on Friday where everything went great. Unfortunately one trying to load up the gps traces on Saturday, one of the FIT files didn't want to play ball. The other 2 files are fine and were saved in exactly the same way.

I've played around with various SDKs and I've managed to get some data out of the file. Unfortunately it stops about 10k short of control 2 (Airmyn) , so that's the only control I don't have a trace for. Having a bit of missing track might be allowable if I beg enough, but not the control I'm guessing.

I'm not sure if there's anything else in the file or if my skills are lacking to drag any more out. If anyone who knows a bit more about this could have a look of offer pointers or convince me to give up on a bad job that would be much appreciated. A copy of the file is here - http://napalmgram.co.uk/tmp/2011-09-09-07-04-18.fit

Next time I'm getting receipts as well........

kettrinboy

Re: Corrupted Garmin Fit - looking for a little help please
« Reply #1 on: 12 September, 2011, 09:59:07 pm »
Theres several people on the Garmin forums who might be able to play around with the files to see if any more data can be recovered, one guy who goes under the username AWEATHERALL has helped quite a few Edge users with corrupted files.

« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2011, 07:59:35 am »
Thanks.

I did a bit more reading around the format of the files (Ant+'s FitSDK is quite informative) and it looks like I did get as much out of it as possible. With some scripting I've managed to convert all the data into a usable format (for $DEITYsake why are garmin using a timing epoch that appears to start 10 years before everyone elses?) and the Org has said they'll accept it and see if there's enough to pass muster.

« Reply #3 on: 17 January, 2012, 08:57:35 am »
Resurrecting this to post this link - http://www.fitfilerepairtool.info/

Just used it to recover another corrupt fit file (battery died suddenly in the cold  :facepalm:). It's done the job fine. The only slight drawback is that it's based on Microsoft Access VBA, so you'll need a copy of Access or install the free runtime from Microsoft. So you're a bit shafted if you're on MacOS or *nix unless they'll work under Wine.