Author Topic: Editing Strava  (Read 2471 times)

Editing Strava
« on: 25 January, 2015, 05:04:13 pm »
I have a cycle ride accidentally recorded as a run.   I cannot figure out how to change this.   Can anybody help please? 

Re: Editing Strava
« Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2015, 05:06:35 pm »
Skip that.  I found it.   Phew!!!    :D

« Reply #2 on: 26 January, 2015, 11:36:11 am »
Another question:   Yesterday I rode out to a nice lunch stop, ate lunch, then rode back.   I recorded it as two separate rides because I don't know if Strava can be paused.   

Can I join these two rides together easily or is there a 'pause' function in Strava that I haven't found yet please?

« Reply #3 on: 26 January, 2015, 12:16:17 pm »
If you're using the app, just hit the big red button to pause (there's a different checkered-flag button for finishing the ride), then press it again when you start again.

I think it pauses automagically if you are stopped, but that's obviously no good if you're strolling around a cafe.

It still uses the battery when paused, mind.

simonp

« Reply #4 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:15:14 pm »
If you know how to edit gpx files you can download the files, edit in suitable editor to join them (maybe you can use some gps software to do this more easily - not sure which is best in this case) . I've done various joining things for multi-day audax rides recorded by my Garmin, using Mapsource. I'm not sure how well it copes with gpx downloaded from Strava, or if there are limitations.

« Reply #5 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:20:35 pm »
Did you get all the KOMs (or running equivalent)? :D

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:22:41 pm »
The question surely would be what would Strava make of a manually-edited file.  There is a certain amount of validation going on after all.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #7 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:27:19 pm »
Did you get all the KOMs (or running equivalent)? :D

Took me back 25 years to when I could run that fast.    8)   :D

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:28:30 pm »
I routinely edit out stationary blocks from my tracks before uploading to Strava.  That way the random jitter while I'm in a pub or cafe doesn't translate to a period of time where I'm hopping around randomly at 0.8 mph and so doesn't lower my moving average speed.

Strava doesn't seem to care about those edits.  I use BaseCamp to do the deletions FWIW.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

simonp

« Reply #9 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:29:38 pm »
The question surely would be what would Strava make of a manually-edited file.  There is a certain amount of validation going on after all.

I've never found this to be an issue when I've edited files. I'm not sure what validation is done. There's the mechanism of flagging rides for peer review, but Strava isn't bothered by 400 mile jumps between adjacent track-points (an issue with the way Garmins generate saved tracks). I edit those out myself, because Strava seems to trust the data even when it is clearly wrong to the human eye.

When I've gone into an Audax control with my gps, typically there are a load of random points around the control. If I can be bothered, I'll remove these trackpoints, so the track will show me arriving outside the control, being stationary a number of minutes to hours depending on the control, and then getting going again. They haven't detected anything wrong with this, and it's indistinguishable from pausing the GPS for duration of the stop. I never create additional trackpoints that aren't in the original recording.

« Reply #10 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:36:17 pm »
I capture the Strava on my smartphone and have no idea how to edit the tracks.   I don't mind having more than one track per day but just thought that it would be nice to bring one ride together if it was easy to achieve.

simonp

« Reply #11 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:46:58 pm »
I capture the Strava on my smartphone and have no idea how to edit the tracks.   I don't mind having more than one track per day but just thought that it would be nice to bring one ride together if it was easy to achieve.

First google hit for 'join gpx files online':

joewein.net/bike/gpxmerge/

Download each activity from Strava, save each to a folder on your computer, then go to the above url, locate the files to join. Once you've selected the input files, click to export the joined gpx, save back to your drive. Upload to Strava, and check that the resulting activity looks correct. Assuming it does, I'd be happy to delete the original activities off strava.

I haven't tested this method myself - there are extensions in the file I downloaded for my own ride this morning for heart rate - I have no idea if that will be handled correctly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 26 January, 2015, 09:36:35 pm »

I've never found this to be an issue when I've edited files. I'm not sure what validation is done. There's the mechanism of flagging rides for peer review, but Strava isn't bothered by 400 mile jumps between adjacent track-points (an issue with the way Garmins generate saved tracks). I edit those out myself, because Strava seems to trust the data even when it is clearly wrong to the human eye.

It's annoying that Strava's crop function doesn't let you keep multiple parts of such a track (eg. a bike-train-bike journey where the GPS was off during the train segment).  If you try to re-upload the track in order to crop the other part, it complains that it's a duplicate.