Author Topic: Cat feeding habits  (Read 1026 times)

Cat feeding habits
« on: 29 January, 2012, 07:36:13 pm »
Kai and Zev rarely try and steel each others food, they normally fairly patiently wait until the other one finishes, which they tend to do at almost the same time anyway, they're good at the synchronised eating. ;D

After they've finished, they'll almost invariably then go and clean the others bowl out, presumably on the basis that the other cat may not have done as good a job as they have in polishing it clean!

Zev tends to eat with her tail wrapped around her body, whereas Kai pretty much always has his much fluffier tail just sticking straight out (and just asking to be stood on, by mistake!)

So, what do your cats do which appears unusual, or even downright weird?
Actually, it is rocket science.

border-rider

Re: Cat feeding habits
« Reply #1 on: 29 January, 2012, 08:06:51 pm »
Ours have biscuits, which should remove any human intervention into their feeding other than keeping them topped up. But when they were wee kits, they had soft kitten food and we used to twice a day ceremoniously all traipse through to the utility room for kitten feeding whilst singing a little song.   So now when Tam wants to eat he comes to find me, and leads me to his bowl to stand by him :)

He is quite capable of eating when no-one is home though.

« Reply #2 on: 29 January, 2012, 09:56:09 pm »
Cassius will always leave his bowl and stick his snout into Roxy's. She will then often abandon it and go to his bowl. This process can repeat quite a lot.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #3 on: 29 January, 2012, 10:47:14 pm »
Our cats require the ceremony of feeding more than the food itself - usually they don't finish the contents of their bowl (I suspect they get additional food from other houses), but at seven o'clock each morning and evening I have to rattle the remaining kibble, otherwise it doesn't count. ::-)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2012, 12:11:06 am »
I suspect Talisker was getting fed by one of my neighbours, he just didn't seem to need much food, although I guess he was getting older and less active, so possibly didn't need as much anyway.

Kai and Zev will eat whatever they can get from me, so I don't think that they are around the neighbours looking for handouts (or aren't successfully getting any!)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2012, 04:51:25 pm »
My bengal Krishna is very greedy and a bit of a bully.  If left unattended he will start to eat his, eat about 3/4, then try to shove either of the 2 girls (Maine Coons) out of the way to eat theirs.  The more confidnet Coon will stand her ground but the other (Polly) will get shoved out and will then eat the rest of his.  Feeding times are now usually supervised or separated.  Fortunately, he's less keen on the dry biscuits I buy for Polly, so he won't usually scoff those.  If left with biscuits he likes, he will eat until he is sick, then will continue eating more.  And repeat.  So again, supervised feeding.

Krishna is very vocal about when feeding time is.  He's also good at giving me (and anyone else) the 'I've never been fed in my whole entire life; I'm wasting away' look.   Unfortunately he also knows how to open doors and cupboard doors* so I have to keep the food in a locked cupboard.

*and the lift, but that's another story

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2012, 06:58:36 am »
Frankie is very vocal when it's dinner time, quite often going and getting the pouch of wet food himself. That said he doesn't seem to eat much. Lumen on the other hand tries to eat the bowl. She wraps her tail around her and Frankie's is up in the air. There is always a ball of dry food out, those things that they have to bat about to get food.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium