Author Topic: powermonkey extreme  (Read 1727 times)

powermonkey extreme
« on: 22 February, 2012, 03:31:48 pm »
I came across this review on another site. It's about the powermonkey extreme, a much bigger solar charger than the normal beast.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86887
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
Re: powermonkey extreme
« Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2012, 11:35:17 am »
Thanks for sharing the link.

Andrew

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 29 February, 2012, 08:54:33 pm »
It's interesting, but a full-charged mobile phone is as useful as a chocolate teapot when you're right out in the boonies, as the reviewer seems to be considering.  Maybe he has a satellite phone.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 29 February, 2012, 09:03:08 pm »
We hired an Iridium Sat Phone when we were doing a self-drive safari in Namibia and Botswana, which involved being way off the beaten track, and they have the look-and-feel of an '80s 1st generation mobile phone, and a power consumption to match.

They charge OK from a vehicle 12v supply, but a teensy solar array is not really going to cut it.
You'd need a solar array the size of a football pitch, or carry a small generator and some jerry cans on your bakfiets!

« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2012, 10:34:20 am »
It's interesting, but a full-charged mobile phone is as useful as a chocolate teapot when you're right out in the boonies, as the reviewer seems to be considering.  Maybe he has a satellite phone.
The reviewer is an instructor, so I suspect they know if they can get signal or not.

They needed it to power other stuff - small HD cameras and suchlike.
<i>Marmite slave</i>