Author Topic: RIP Frank Carson  (Read 892 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
RIP Frank Carson
« on: 22 February, 2012, 09:09:02 pm »
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LEE

Re: RIP Frank Carson
« Reply #1 on: 22 February, 2012, 10:15:59 pm »
A man with genuinely funny bones.  I don't ever remember seeing him when he wasn't either smiling or laughing.

« Reply #2 on: 23 February, 2012, 10:00:34 am »
It's a croaker ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 23 February, 2012, 10:11:07 am »
It was the way he told 'em.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 23 February, 2012, 12:20:23 pm »
Bumped into him at Dublin Airport once and he was telling jokes to an impromptu crowd in his machine-gun style. He seemed genuinely disappointed when we had to go for our flight, though I'd have happily stayed for another hour.

I used to love his chaotic appearances on TISWAS as well. Thank you, Frank.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

red marley

« Reply #5 on: 23 February, 2012, 12:26:18 pm »
It certainly was the way he told them. Evan Davis on the Today Programme  this morning programme murdered one his crackers in the retelling.

"I don't think my wife likes me very much. When I had a heart attack, she wrote for an ambulance."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 23 February, 2012, 12:30:15 pm »
Not my bag, really, but a master of his craft and, according to people I knew who worked with him, a very kind and generous person.

I'd forgotten he'd been on Tiswas.  That brought a smile to my face when you reminded me.
Getting there...

John Henry

« Reply #7 on: 23 February, 2012, 09:35:41 pm »
I'd forgotten he'd been on Tiswas.  That brought a smile to my face when you reminded me.

The standing joke on Tiswas was that they didn't want him there and 'barred' him from the programme. He was supposed to have been desperate to get on it. He therefore turned up in drag one day, disguised as some sort of gypsy woman, calling himself 'Madame Nosrac'. One of the other presenters claimed to have recognised him because of his 'piggy eyes and blowlamp breath'.

This led to a boss of mine who shared those attributes being forever nicknamed 'Madame Nosrac'.

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 24 February, 2012, 02:18:18 pm »
I called 999 to report some nuisance calls, the Operator said "Oh no, not you again" - It's the way he told them.