Author Topic: Routing around Plymouth  (Read 1964 times)

Routing around Plymouth
« on: 24 July, 2008, 01:21:10 am »
It seems that I'll be in the Guz area for the next few months...

Whilst this has real ale and cider-related benefits, I have absolutely no idea of the local geography or topography. can anyone suggest a selection of local incremental loops, given that I'm starting off as a fat, unfit submariner whose heart rate peak in the last 4 months has largely been shitting himself related rather than exercise based?
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Re: Routing around Plymouth
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2008, 01:34:56 am »
I'm a fan of Dartmoor, did lots of my Etaoe training there last year.

Maybe Plymouth - Dousland at first (although that's grim roads) gradually extended to rides to and from Moretonhampstead.

There are probably better rides to get you onto the moors (possibly via Bickley if I remember the name right) but I only really know the main road out.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2008, 07:09:24 am »
I used to live there.  Road rides are tricky because it quickly gets hilly (I mostly did MTBing), but I'd recommend going out over the Tamar Bridge into Cornwall and coming back via the Torpoint or Mt Edgcumbe ferry.  If you want the downhill ride of your life, head to Princetown via Yelverton (it's a bit of a haul, although I did it on 42 x 21) and then come back via Tavistock.  The hill off the moor is reputedly good for 72mph.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2008, 08:01:30 am »
Wascally is right about the main arterial routes out of Plymouth and whatever you do, I hope you relish hills.

Plymouth is a sprawling city but once you get out of it, there are some beautiful bits of countryside.

Going west, you could take the Cremyl ferry across to Mt Edgecumbe and sample the delights of Rame, Cawsands, Kingsands or make a longer loop down to Fowey returning on the Torpoint ferry.

Going east is a bit trickier as you have to navigate your way through Plymstock/ Elburton but once you have got out of the urban sprawl, the South Hams will open up for you. A loop out to Kingsbridge is recommended as minor roads are often an option. You could even combine this with a visit to Dartmoor.

Going north there is the Plym Valley cycle route which if you are on a mountain bike can be followed all the way to/from Princetown (in the middle of the moors). On a tourer/hybrid you could easily follow it all the way north/south on the stretch between Yelverton and Plymouth - the main 'rough stuff' being limited to Saltram and between Yelverton and Clearbrook (which is avoidable by picking up the road from Clearbrook onwards).

Bomber of this parish is ensconced there and may have other ideas.

Have a good one and say hello to the Dolphin on the Barbican from me.

H

« Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2008, 10:46:37 am »
Cheers for the hints gents! A couple of the guys went out and found the Tamar/Saltash/Torpoint loop and apparently it's a bit of a leg-breaker!

It's just a shame I'm more Mark Cavendish than Robert Miller ...

I already have, dear chap, to the accompaniment of lots of Bass and live folk music!
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #5 on: 24 July, 2008, 10:47:48 am »
The South Hams can be a bit grim in Summer with all the grockles about.

Tiger

« Reply #6 on: 24 July, 2008, 06:28:41 pm »
I was there at Xmas - I fond a really good loop West - over the Torpoint ferry and then up the penisula a bit, turn left, a couple of ks to the coast/cliff road and back round to the ferry. A hilly 12m but lovely sea/river and rural views.  The fery provides the ideal recovery period too and makes it feel like an adventure. Hardly any cars on Kingsland Peninsula because it is a dead end.
The real adventure is getting through devonport to the ferry - bandit country.

Hummers

« Reply #7 on: 24 July, 2008, 09:50:29 pm »

I already have, dear chap, to the accompaniment of lots of Bass and live folk music!

:thumbsup:

H

Hummers

« Reply #8 on: 25 July, 2008, 06:27:11 am »
The real adventure is getting through devonport to the ferry - bandit country.

Best avoided by taking the Cremyl Ferry.

Through Union Street and Stonehouse - prossie country.  :P

Actually -  :sick:

H