Author Topic: Driving licences to be removed within hours from those posing a threat to others  (Read 1516 times)

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-21293328

I am not sure how this will help - just the removal a licence will not physically stop people driving although it would compound any further offences. The idea though that currently the police have to fax or write to  DVLA to suspend  a licence in this day and age seems surreal.
A shitter and a giggler.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Errrm, dunno just how it will help, apart from, as you say, compounding any further driving offences.

Also potential for abuse, say there is a married couple where one partner works in a police station.  Couple split, partner who works in PS is a vindictive type and gets the license of other partner revoked.

All hell breaks loose.

Potentially a step in the right direction, but needs to be backed up with a immediate section 54 59 also, otherwise what is to stop the perp walking out of the station and getting straight into their car?

Edit : got the wrong section number.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Most of those who are a threat to others don't have licences.   :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Looks like a non-story to me.

"DVLA discover email" would be a better headline.

"DVLA discover email" would be a better headline.
Yeah, last time I looked DVLA weren’t in this century.

Do you still need to do all that posting off a form to transfer ownership when you sell a car? If the DVLA would allow that to be done online (hence instantly), that would have prevented me getting a massive fine for an unpaid congestion charge fee from the car’s new owners and having to fight with TFL over the fact that it happened the day after I sold my car while the transfer form was in the snail mail. That was heaps of fun.

Indeed, after all we can insure cars on-line simply enough.  Perhaps a system akin to Belgium, where you keep the index plate when you sell the car (they are driver specific), to put on your new one, would be better.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
From reading the report it seems this only applies to licences revoked on medical grounds - and even then, as Kim says, it's just allowing police to contact DVLA using 21st C methods. Banning people from driving because they've been driving dangerously still has to be done through the courts, I presume.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Problem is it still doesn't stop them - I guess people who are banned for whatever reason, assess the risk of actually being caught.  Is it only when something bad happens, that the police even know?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
I know this case of old.

This will be nothing to stop people driving who shouldn't be.  It is well intentioned but misguided.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor