Author Topic: What's the silliest thing you've used to 'lock' your bike?  (Read 3714 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: What's the silliest thing you've used to 'lock' your bike?
« Reply #25 on: 31 July, 2008, 10:49:38 am »
I've done the zip-tie thing too.  In fact, even when I have got a lock, I sometimes use a reusable cable tie on one of the wheels.  Locking a bike up is about making it too much of a faff to steal it.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #26 on: 31 July, 2008, 10:55:48 am »
What about one of these: Evans Cycles | Kryptonite Evolution Lock with bracket | Online Bike Shop

Seems an odd thing to lock a bike up with. Looks like an Ice Toolz spanner to me.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 31 July, 2008, 04:27:14 pm »
By coincidence, I bought a Kryptonite Evolution lock from Evans this morning. I'm pleased to report it looked nothing like an IceToolz spanner.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #28 on: 01 August, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »
I unplugged a Barney the Dinosaur sit on ride outside a supermarket and wound the flex a few times round my bike once for a quick dash into the supermarket. There was no-one on it and it made me feel better about leaving my bike for a few minutes.

« Reply #29 on: 02 August, 2008, 10:29:04 am »
Not "locked", but effective.

When touring I tend to go off in advance to check out a pub or whatever, and my wife catches me up.

We use a pair of walkie talkies to communicate.

Placed bikes against wall and sat in Beer Garden.

Anyone gets too close... use the radio

"You are too close t this bicycle and have set off a proximity alarm, please step back from the bike!"

Most people are sufficiently dumbfounded to do so.

On a separate note we did have one young child who thought it was a talking bike and started up a conversation - delighted when it replied to his comments and questions. A wonderful few minutes of fun.

« Reply #30 on: 03 August, 2008, 12:22:16 am »
On a separate note we did have one young child who thought it was a talking bike and started up a conversation - delighted when it replied to his comments and questions. A wonderful few minutes of fun.

Precious!
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark