Author Topic: GPS tracker  (Read 1198 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
GPS tracker
« on: 20 February, 2012, 10:53:44 pm »
Following the recent spate of bike thefts reported here and elsewhere, I tried to find details of a PMR based alarm that was described on urc some years back. While my google-fu proved strong, the page with details of the gadget is no more.

However, over on CC, someone posted a link to a GPS tracker with SMS alerts.  There's a model that fits in the top cap of the handlebars, inna disguised stylee. And the price didn't seem too outrageous.

Linky for more details.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: GPS tracker
« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2012, 11:02:22 pm »
That looks very interesting, but from the pictures I can't see how it could possibly fit into my steerer tube while the star spangled nut is in there  :-\

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2012, 11:13:49 pm »
I know little of these starfangled nuts of which you speak (all my bikes have threaded headsets), but it looking at the video on the website, it looks like the gadget pushes the star fangled nut further down the steerer.

Of course if that doesn't work, you can always buy the one that looks like a rear light.

« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2012, 11:17:39 pm »
Watching the install video (and you really can't see so I'm making an assumption) - you 'tighten' the top cap so maybe it is like a Hope Head Doctor and there is an expanding part that is gripping the steerer?

« Reply #4 on: 20 February, 2012, 11:20:18 pm »
Of course if that doesn't work, you can always buy the one that looks like a rear light.

TimO already has done.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 21 February, 2012, 08:02:00 am »

TimO already has done.

Coo, so he has.  I should have searched a bit better. Anyway, there's a pdf on their website that shows the headset version is supplied with a long bolt, which is used for tapping the star fangled nut down to the correct position.

« Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2012, 11:20:32 am »

TimO already has done.

Coo, so he has.  I should have searched a bit better. Anyway, there's a pdf on their website that shows the headset version is supplied with a long bolt, which is used for tapping the star fangled nut down to the correct position.

Ahhh interesting :)

Nick H.

« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2012, 07:28:20 pm »
I fancy the steerer tube version for Xmas. Have been perusing the installation instructions. www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/pdf/Spybike_Instructions_2.pdf  Your steerer needs to be at least 250mm long - mine is, just.  The tracker is 110mm long and comes with a long bolt which pushes your star nut down by about 90mm.  I suppose there's nothing wrong with that?