Author Topic: SD card directory not showing in Garmin  (Read 3324 times)

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
SD card directory not showing in Garmin
« on: 02 November, 2012, 08:51:25 am »
I'd be really grateful for any advice having been up half the night trying to finish off installation of OMS on my Dakota 20.

Firstly, talkytoaster seems to take hours to download and keeps freezing, but I think that is beacuse they have low bandwidth so there is not much I can do about that other than be patient.

I've formatted my 16GB micro SD (although only get the option for FAT32 not FAT16 as mentioned elsewhere here - does this matter?) and changed the file name and can save the gmapsupp.img file to the sd card. But here's the thing: the card shows as a completely different directory on my computer, not as a sub directory of the garmin, even though the card is in the garmin. Therefore when I go into setup>maps on the Garmin it's not there. I tried clicking and dragging to get it inside the garmin but that just created a shortcut. Any idea how to do this, or is it normal?

Thanks
Mojo is being awakened.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: SD card directory not showing in Garmin
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2012, 09:20:35 am »
It's normal.
FAT32 is OK.  On your computer, the Garmin and the card show as two separate drives.
The map file MUST be inside a directory called \Garmin\ - eg [card]\Garmin\gmapsupp.img
and it can either be on the Garmin or on the card - the on-GPS menus won't differentiate - there's no file management on the GPS.
On the card is preferable IMO.
The map can be named anything-you-like.img and you can have more than one map, in either location.
(More, and bigger, maps just slow down the GPS boot-up.)

It's possible (unlikely) your GPS needs a software update to see a 16Gb card.  Try a 2Gb card.
Or it's possible (more likely) the map file IMG is corrupt.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #2 on: 02 November, 2012, 01:18:43 pm »
Thank you so much ff, you've saved me so much stress! It works fine now having downloaded new maps as original must have been corrupt. I can now go to bed before 2 am unlike last night when strugglimg with this!
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2012, 10:06:15 am »
Question for frankly frankie.

Apologies if this should be on a different thread.

With regard to separate maps with separate names, isn't there some complication with naming? I had the impression that in the past I'd named a file somethingelse.img to distinguish it from gmapsupp.img but that the Garmin had still insisted on reading it as gmapsupp.img  because of something embedded in the file and consequently experiencing some sort of map clash issue.

« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2012, 12:55:17 pm »

Firstly, talkytoaster seems to take hours to download and keeps freezing, but I think that is beacuse they have low bandwidth so there is not much I can do about that other than be patient.

Talkytoaster offers BitTorrent which is faster (provided there are several peers logged on)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2012, 03:44:05 pm »
With regard to separate maps with separate names, isn't there some complication with naming?

Could be - but I haven't noticed anything personally.  I stick to 8.3 names but AFAIK it's not necessary even to do this.
There might also be an issue with the embedded map 'names' within the file (which are not the same as the file name) but again, I have seen duplicate maps of the same name, both loadable on the same GPS.
Then again, I don't currently own a Garmin new enough to support named map files so am not in the best position to check this out  :-\
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #6 on: 05 November, 2012, 03:58:27 pm »
The filename seems to be completely independent from the map name embedded in the file in my Oregon.  You can end up with multiple maps with identical names in the setup screen, which is utterly confusing but doesn't seem to break anything.

« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2012, 11:19:46 pm »
Couple of  pointers that may or may not be relevant:

First, one of the most spectacularly confusing issues can be dodgy USB leads. It looks ok, connects and is recognised as a drive, but - for example - you can completely fail to upload tracks with Garmin connect. If you are getting odd stuff happening - try another cable or three (pref good quality), try another USB socket, try making better contact in the Garmin or in the PC. When everything starts working ok you know you have found the problem.

As far as multiple names go, the Oregon will allow you to have two gmapsupp.img on both internal memory and the card, the limits with files are the os limits. But you will also probably already know that in gpx files there is a <name> tag that is the name the Garmin will display, so you can have file1.gpx & file2.gpx, with the name tag in both set to route0 and the Garmin will be perfectly happy.

« Reply #8 on: 21 November, 2012, 04:14:14 pm »
[quote author=Ham link=topic=64926.msg1354888#msg1354888 date=1352762386
As far as multiple names go, the Oregon will allow you to have two gmapsupp.img on both internal memory and the card, the limits with files are the os limits. But you will also probably already know that in gpx files there is a <name> tag that is the name the Garmin will display, so you can have file1.gpx & file2.gpx, with the name tag in both set to route0 and the Garmin will be perfectly happy.
[/quote]

Also Oregon doesn't need the name gmapsupp.img.  xxxxxx.img is fine, and the name comes from within the file.  I have several xxxx.img files on my Oregon SD, some with long names.