Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 25th  (Read 6188 times)

Re: Jan 25th
« Reply #25 on: 25 January, 2015, 04:18:58 pm »
Interesting stuff. In addition to relatively flat terrain (yesterday excepted), Steve's choice of routes and riding style tend to involve less stopping and starting or rapid changes in speed, so the disadvantages of a heavier load are minimised.

For endurance riding, comfort is pretty much always preferable to lightweight.  I think he's made the right decision.
(should work for all:)
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1565874683654239&id=1549550211953353&refid=17
I hope it came with a warranty :P. Tarzan doesn't seem too bothered, probably because he's got a few other bikes to use instead.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #26 on: 25 January, 2015, 04:25:16 pm »
Will be interesting to get Steve's feedback on traditional steel forks and comfort.
My main Audax bike is steel; 531ST frame & forks custom built for me in 1990, so really nice & smooth to ride.  It's slightly slower up hill than my carbon bike, but on the flat it's just as fast & down hill it's faster and a lot less twitchy....I do like the uniqueness of it amongst the more modern bikes & on today's club run the down tube shifters got lots of admiration ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #27 on: 25 January, 2015, 04:58:36 pm »
lovely weather outside today, just came back from 90km local loop. plenty of cyclists and horse riders out enjoying mild weather as well. another freeze wave is coming at the end of next week though, be prepared and ride safe Steve!

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #28 on: 25 January, 2015, 05:33:24 pm »
Agree that weight doesn't seem to make much of a difference if the route is flat to
gently rolling. Did a flat DIY 200 on my heavy clunky Kona Paddywagon steel fixie
today in 9 hours. Don't think I would have been faster on my significantly lighter
Burls Ti Audax bike. But on the Willy Warmer last week I also did on fixed think I
would have been an hour faster on the Burls. But a chunk of that would have been
due to the more hours of darkness riding on the WW. Today set off at 6am, and only
had 90 mins or so of darkness.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #29 on: 25 January, 2015, 06:03:50 pm »
I don't think the weight will have much effect. When I use my all steel utility bike with 26" wheels and 40c tyres etc. which weighs 15 Kg naked compared to 8.5 Kgs for my Ally framed audax bike on 700 x 23c tyres, there is not much overall difference in my time or average speed on the routes I use.

Obviously the up hills are slower, but Steve is going slow up them anyway. The difference I can instantly tell is comfort, the steely feels like sitting in an armchair soaking up the bumps rather than banging my backside on the seat on the audax!

I think my next frame will probably be steel.

oh dear this just prompted me to put my bike on the scales.... 18 kilos 20 with the saddle bag....

« Reply #30 on: 25 January, 2015, 06:38:37 pm »
Being Burns Night is Steve having haggis tonight ?? ;D ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #31 on: 25 January, 2015, 06:42:24 pm »

oh dear this just prompted me to put my bike on the scales.... 18 kilos 20 with the saddle bag....

Crikey mine's a lightweight!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #32 on: 25 January, 2015, 07:58:11 pm »
The extra weight helps in descending.  My 82kg plus my steel Roberts demonstrates this quite regularly on Audax rides.

Meanwhile Steve continues to battle the dark and the cold.  He must have done most of the local Buckinghamshire roads in the dark so often that, when the spring comes, they will look strange to him in the daylight.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #33 on: 25 January, 2015, 09:34:19 pm »
183 miles today - another fantastic effort. I hope the knee problem the Telegraph mentions isn't too bad.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #34 on: 25 January, 2015, 09:54:56 pm »
183 miles today - another fantastic effort. I hope the knee problem the Telegraph mentions isn't too bad.

:thumbsup:

H

« Reply #35 on: 25 January, 2015, 10:41:29 pm »
It was very interesting chatting to Steve over breakfast this morning.
A number of people have commented on his choice of bike with regard to weight and quality.
He claims that the weight makes very little difference because he is riding on the flattest terrain he can.
Tha steel frame gives him durability and a good degree of comfort.
He wanted the fastest wheels that he could find without compromising strength and durability.
He really rates the tubeless tyres, claiming that they have saved him a lot of time already with the ability to self seal after thorn attack!
He has gone for top quality components in the high wear areas with Hope hubs, bottom bracket and head set.
Overall, he is pretty content with his set up.
He was very happy with yesterday's heart rate figures and can feel his legs getting stronger!

He is indeed, a force to be reckoned with!

:thumbsup: Thanks for the detailed update..  :thumbsup:
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021