Author Topic: Garmin Edge 705 Playing Up  (Read 1586 times)

Garmin Edge 705 Playing Up
« on: 15 January, 2013, 06:24:24 pm »
Evening all

I have had my Garmin 705 for about 9 months or so. It is from an eBay seller and apparently comes with a 1 year guarantee, so I might have some luck if it really is on the way out. However I wonder if anybody else has had the same issue with a 705 or any other model.

Sometimes. It just doesn't turn on.

I can plug it into the wall, or the computer and nothing happens. I have tried soft restting it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

It has turned itself off once upon a time mid-ride, but I managed to turn it back on straight away and it didn't lose any ride data.

So, for a few days now it hadn't been working and I hadn't tried anything regarding fixing it. However I was about to go on a gentle 25 miler this evening and just to see if by magic it would work. It did!!! How odd.

It has uploaded everything nicely to training centre and the screen is still on now, so for the time being all good. But are these warning signs that my 705 is on the way out? My worst nightmare scenario is if I turn up to a 200km event in unknown surroundings and I actually have to rely on shock-horror: routesheet.  :o

Cheers,

Jon.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
Re: Garmin Edge 705 Playing Up
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2013, 11:35:24 pm »
Hard to tell. I'm on my second one- the first lost all data connectivity, so no uploading or downloading of courses and ride data. That was replaced under warranty with a refurb from Garmin. The second one suffered extreme flakiness after a sodden FNRttC last year, was sort-of-repaired by a third party firm (who fixed most of the issues but AFAIK didn't check it over properly- the backlight on the start/stop button wasn't working and still wasn't). This one, on occasion, like your own, switches off of its own accord (I think the first one did too). Everything else, touch wood, works right. The battery life went (I doubt Garmin fitted a new battery), but that's been replaced. All I can suggest is keep using it for the time being, keep a watching brief, and if you do have any more issues get onto Garmin UK, their warranty support is pretty good (officially they do not honour warranty on eBay purchases, but I didn't have any problems).

Audaxwebby

• Chippenham wheelers
« Reply #2 on: 20 January, 2013, 03:49:19 pm »
hi guys
do any on you use garmin on the turbo trainer and what settings do you have it on.
Well LEL done now ready for PBP

« Reply #3 on: 23 January, 2013, 11:11:20 am »
The problem on a turbo trainer is keeping it in good view of the sky so that it can get your position accurately, otherwise navigation goes to pot.

I've used mine (with the cadence/speed sensor) on rollers and turbo, but mainly because it has the HRM and the battery was dead in my old Polar watch. I'm not sure there are any specific settings?

« Reply #4 on: 05 February, 2013, 03:05:04 pm »
The problem on a turbo trainer is keeping it in good view of the sky so that it can get your position accurately, otherwise navigation goes to pot.

Navigation is not a problem on a turbo trainer surely, or am I missing something?
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #5 on: 05 February, 2013, 11:41:59 pm »
If it's on a turbo you have the sensor connected & the GPS off. Says so in the manual.