Author Topic: Mapsource won't send routes or waypoints to my Etrex 30  (Read 2318 times)

Mapsource won't send routes or waypoints to my Etrex 30
« on: 10 March, 2013, 09:07:13 am »
Mapsource won't send routes or waypoints to my Etrex 30 - any idea why? I can put it on the memory card, but then the comments won't show. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? The check boxes for routes / waypoints are beiged out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/is8tjlnxnzc089e/DELIGHTFULDALES.gpx

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Mapsource won't send routes or waypoints to my Etrex 30
« Reply #1 on: 10 March, 2013, 12:46:12 pm »
Have you got the eTrex in mass storage mode?

Unintuitively, Mapsource understands this.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2013, 01:44:32 pm »
It would need to be in 'Garmin' mode to work with Mapsource, I think - and possibly you'd need the USB driver installed (not supplied with the GPS).

But no, it never worked for me either, when I had an E30.  I mentioned this when I reviewed it.

Just save the Mapsource file out as GPX, then plonk it on the memory card in [card]\Garmin\GPX\
I found the E30 had to be power-cycled twice before the tracks etc appeared in the menus, but then it's all OK.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 10 March, 2013, 02:20:54 pm »
What version of Mapsource are you using? The older versions don't support USB mass storage mode.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 10 March, 2013, 03:01:27 pm »
It would need to be in 'Garmin' mode to work with Mapsource, I think

Yeah, that's what I thought too.  But no, it needs USB storage mode.

« Reply #5 on: 10 March, 2013, 05:28:29 pm »
It would need to be in 'Garmin' mode to work with Mapsource, I think - and possibly you'd need the USB driver installed (not supplied with the GPS).

But no, it never worked for me either, when I had an E30.  I mentioned this when I reviewed it.

Just save the Mapsource file out as GPX, then plonk it on the memory card in [card]\Garmin\GPX\
I found the E30 had to be power-cycled twice before the tracks etc appeared in the menus, but then it's all OK.

USB mode un-beiged the checkboxes. However, I don't get the comments in the "next point" field on the trip computer. Should I? Doesn't matter, I'll just go back to HCx waypoint naming.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 10 March, 2013, 07:03:37 pm »
No, you shouldn't.  'Next point' should display the waypoint name.  My E30 showed comments instead but I read somewhere (in these threads) that that was a bug that had been fixed with an update.

Either way the text font is too small to be useful - one of the main reasons I prefer the older models.

« Reply #7 on: 10 March, 2013, 08:29:52 pm »
Ah, I've been using one of your pages about the 'feature'. If it's gone, I'll go back to the old style naming.

Fwiw, now I've set the page order, for me the lack of rubber edging, the availability of a stem mount, and the 10 data fields put it ahead in a straight fight. My view is that unless you want ant compatibility, it's not worth upgrading to if you have a working hcx.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2013, 08:59:12 am »
I agree the rubber and especially the mount are both significant improvements.  Other than that, its swings and roundabouts, though the old models have some advantages for auto-routing (more menu options) and the new ones are much much better with Tracks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 11 March, 2013, 01:03:48 pm »
the new ones are much much better with Tracks.

Agreed, for routing purposes.  For logging, I'm sorely missing the idiot-proof logging direct to SD card on the HCx.

« Reply #10 on: 11 March, 2013, 02:17:48 pm »
I don't have an eTrex 20/30 (so far I've been content to stick with my Map62, but I've been tempted to get a 20/30 one day as a backup) so this is just a guess but I wonder if the eTrex 20/30, being a "current generation" model, would work better with Basecamp** than Mapsource?

Having made the effort to learn how to use it (still learning!) I find I'm using Basecamp more often than Mapsource now.

(** free download from Garmin and I believe, Garmin's preferred software, since they are no longer supporting/developing Mapsource.)

« Reply #11 on: 11 March, 2013, 02:31:21 pm »
I agree the rubber and especially the mount are both significant improvements.  Other than that, its swings and roundabouts, though the old models have some advantages for auto-routing (more menu options) and the new ones are much much better with Tracks.

Can you tell me about tracks and routing? I've always followed the Waypoint naming, direct routing, tracks in the background approach. Never routed with a track.

@Kim - the lack of tracklogging to SD seems like an omission. I've got daily archiving on, but it seems daft not to use the sd card. Hopefully it'll be fixed in a firmware revision.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #12 on: 12 March, 2013, 09:57:33 am »
You can navigate' a track much as you would a Route - ie you use the 'Where To?' menu but simply choose a Track from the list, instead of a Route.
(These options aren't obvious if they aren't there - if you see what I mean - if you don't have any Tracks stored, then the option to navigate a Track won't be apparent, similarly with Routes.)
The interesting thing is that while doing this, any Waypoints that are on or near the Track will be incorporated into the navigation - even if they are completely unconnected eg in a different GPX file. 
Here is a screenshot of a Track with Waypoints in action, showing distance to the next (right) turn.

« Reply #13 on: 12 March, 2013, 12:37:47 pm »
Ooh, I might have to give that a whirl.

Thanks - my enjoyment of these devices has been hugely enhanced by your efforts. Very much appreciated.

I have to say, I'm loving the HR+strava aspect of Etrex 30 ownership. The suffer score is great fun.