Author Topic: [LEL] After effects and recovery  (Read 23306 times)

Re: After effects and recovery
« Reply #225 on: 28 August, 2013, 04:50:34 pm »
Just back from a couple of weeks in the Pyrenees.  Family holiday and didn't take a bike but sneaked some pedals and shoes into my luggage as I'd seen that there was a hybrid in the house we rented.  Didn't make it more than 100m up the hill from the house before my left knee was very painful.  It was bearable on the flat but the only flattish road was the main road down to the coastal plain so just drank wine/beer and ate for 2 weeks.

It had started on the hills after Edinburgh and I'd had to pedal practically one legged on all the steep bits after that.  I thought a couple of weeks rest might clear it up but looks like a trip to the physio beckons.

« Reply #226 on: 28 August, 2013, 06:35:00 pm »
Started flying around my 210k for Augusts RRTY on Monday, then ran out of energy and enthusiasm after 120k. The last 90k were hard even though its mainly flat. If I hadn't run out of potential days to do a 200 this month I think I would have packed. Felt very stiff legged yesterday and today.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #227 on: 28 August, 2013, 07:14:20 pm »
Started flying around my 210k for Augusts RRTY on Monday, then ran out of energy and enthusiasm after 120k. The last 90k were hard even though its mainly flat. If I hadn't run out of potential days to do a 200 this month I think I would have packed. Felt very stiff legged yesterday and today.

Exactly the same for me on Sundays DIY 200 for my RRTY.  I was crawling for the last 50k, and sore for a couple of days afterwards....

Hopefully that's just down to 3 weeks off the bike...

Phil W

« Reply #228 on: 28 August, 2013, 07:36:44 pm »
Ha, got my 200 for the RRTY this Sat. Will let you know how it goes.

« Reply #229 on: 28 August, 2013, 08:02:17 pm »

Good luck!
The other Robw, not the wobbly one

« Reply #230 on: 28 August, 2013, 08:38:51 pm »

If I was doing it again, I would not push hard for the first 100, whilst I felt fast + strong I seemed to suddenly slow without much warning... On reflection I should have taken it slow and steady!

Good luck :)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #231 on: 29 August, 2013, 08:57:09 am »
Very odd but I have found that I have gained flab and lost fitness with....

Oh, hold on....

I have just come back from holiday of excessive beer, wine, pasty and clotted cream consumption  :smug:

It will be Cold Comfort farm from now until the End2End  O:-)

H

paul851

« Reply #232 on: 29 August, 2013, 02:04:40 pm »
Doctors tomorrow as I've had a twinge of angina on one of the local climbs  :-[ Hopefully nothing more than overtired and trying to hard to soon after LEL .

Paul

« Reply #233 on: 31 August, 2013, 12:19:07 am »
Only minor tingle in the little fingers of both hands. Initially it was the 2 little fingers in both hands. I did use track mits with lots of padding whilst driving of the first week. Skin pealed from palms of both hands this week. It took about 10 days before I had a full 8 hours sleep. I was waking after about 5 or 6 hours especially at first light. Rode the 82 mile Wild Wales challenge with 3000m of climbing last weekend feel strong all day. I start racing on the velodrome in October I hope the road miles will help with the 1km events!!

Phil W

« Reply #234 on: 31 August, 2013, 09:13:50 pm »

If I was doing it again, I would not push hard for the first 100, whilst I felt fast + strong I seemed to suddenly slow without much warning... On reflection I should have taken it slow and steady!

Good luck :)

It went fine, steady effort although could have eaten more but cafes were busy so just had cold stuff. Moving average mid 20's so seems all is well after LEL.

Chris S

« Reply #235 on: 02 September, 2013, 08:51:31 am »
A surprisingly tough DIY 300 yesterday (including 100km of headwind across the rolling North Norfolk coast) has aggravated LEL-induced issues; sore hands, sore achilles, sore wrists. We'll be more than ready for a rest when it comes!

« Reply #236 on: 02 September, 2013, 09:02:31 am »
Another unbelievably brutal physio session on Friday AM, and the legs are feeling great. Somewhere between the mix of time, very aggressive massage, horrific stretching and heat/ice treatment, all the swelling and liquid around my ankles appears to have gone. Really went for it on fixed this morning, hitting 180bpm on one climb. Couldn't feel myself compensating on my right ankle like I have been. Just felt great, really. Three toes on each foot still feel like they belong to someone else. Being careful to wear loose fitting shoes, etc. Not sure what else I can do.

simonp

« Reply #237 on: 02 September, 2013, 03:25:39 pm »
8 nights in Roses, Spain. Known for its food.

Last night we got home, and I weighed in. 76.5kg…! Heaviest I’ve ever been, by about 0.5kg. This morning, 74.5kg => hopefully the damage isn’t quite as bad as it first seemed. Having said that, given the amount of swimming I did, it hopefully isn’t all fat.

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #238 on: 02 September, 2013, 05:43:58 pm »
8 nights in Roses, Spain. Known for its food.

Last night we got home, and I weighed in. 76.5kg…! Heaviest I’ve ever been, by about 0.5kg. This morning, 74.5kg => hopefully the damage isn’t quite as bad as it first seemed. Having said that, given the amount of swimming I did, it hopefully isn’t all fat.

0.5kg is a big poo. I wouldn't worry about it.  :thumbsup: