Author Topic: Fair game or sticking the knife in?  (Read 2039 times)

Fair game or sticking the knife in?
« on: 22 August, 2008, 11:40:00 am »

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Fair game or sticking the knife in?
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2008, 11:42:27 am »
Fair game and funny.   But interesting tittle.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2008, 12:31:19 pm »

No not really.  I understand that a lot of people see Amy as fair game but I'm not comfortable with it and wouldn't perform it.  I don't think it's even that funny. 

I'm not going to comment on the self harming issue but it's a lazy weak gag, possibly designed to seem controversial but actually just piss poor.  It's not unlike the endless variety of equally lazy poor Spice Girl gags that proliferated on the circuit back when I first did stand up.

I haven't heard the entire act so wouldn't judge her on this one gag alone but it's too easy a target.  It's like saying "God aren't Halford's crap?" on a cycling forum, easy acceptance but nowt else.

The runner up gag seems out of the same mould too.

Anyway, it's not the funniest joke on the fringe, it's the 'funniest' joke as selected from a list of 30 put forward by comedy critics and then voted for by Dave viewers.

« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2008, 12:35:04 pm »
I wonder how much the cash prize was. 

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2008, 12:35:33 pm »
I wonder how much the cash prize was. 

£1,000

Tiger

« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2008, 12:38:10 pm »

No not really.  I understand that a lot of people see Amy as fair game but I'm not comfortable with it and wouldn't perform it.  I don't think it's even that funny. 

I'm not going to comment on the self harming issue but it's a lazy weak gag, possibly designed to seem controversial but actually just piss poor.  It's not unlike the endless variety of equally lazy poor Spice Girl gags that proliferated on the circuit back when I first did stand up.

I haven't heard the entire act so wouldn't judge her on this one gag alone but it's too easy a target.  It's like saying "God aren't Halford's crap?" on a cycling forum, easy acceptance but nowt else.

Anyway, it's not the funniest joke on the fringe, it's the 'funniest' joke as selected from a list of 30 put forward by comedy critics and then voted for by Dave viewers.

Sour grapes! Just because you never won it!

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2008, 12:39:15 pm »

Sour grapes! Just because you never won it!

Damn, busted  ;D

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2008, 05:10:03 pm »
Ms Lyons said: "I am absolutely delighted to have won the award. I know self-harming is not funny but it's just a joke, so I'm not going to beat myself up about it."

Groanworthy.  ;D
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2008, 05:23:20 pm »
...but a lot funnier than the original joke!  ;D ;D

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #9 on: 23 August, 2008, 08:51:07 am »
I really don't like the way the media (or half the population) are going after Amy Winehouse. When someone is that messed up (and She really does seem to be in a very bad place) the press coverage can only be making the situation worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 23 August, 2008, 09:16:19 am »
"Most of us have a skeleton in the cupboard. David Beckham takes his out in public."

Is that funny?
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 24 August, 2008, 08:36:10 pm »
Yes  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 24 August, 2008, 10:21:33 pm »
I'm sorry, but if you go after fame and fortune and then decide to get yourself shitfaced 24/7, then you kind of open the door to this sort of stuff.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.