Author Topic: Dissertation: Cycling in London  (Read 1045 times)

Dissertation: Cycling in London
« on: 09 January, 2014, 04:23:20 pm »
Hello all ,
My name is George and I'm currently studying Geography at Staffordshire University, I'm writing my dissertation on cycling in London and have created a short survey to get some results and as a whole get a general understanding of peoples perceptions of cycling within London.
The full title of my dissertation is ' An investigation to explore the challenges that face cycling as a sustainable form of transport within London (UK)'

Cycling is a hot topic at the minute, its of course great for our health, saves money and is better off for the environment, but in recent months cycling within london has come under fire, unfortunately the safety has come into question, but what i would really like to know is how you all feel about it, so if you can i'd like to ask you to fill in my short survey, it would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately i am aware of some errors in my survey, and understand that some questions are very generalised, i wont edit them though because i need to keep it the same for each forum and contacts i send it to, to keep it fair. Hope you understand.

If you have any questions of tips for me when writing my dissertation that would be most welcome, send me a message.

The link is here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Q0YocHHlWD2IlQw9LyJRyLtQf6K4EFG0IUo6ZfkTtZM/viewform

Many thanks to any of you who take part, Cheers!

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
Re: Dissertation: Cycling in London
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2014, 04:31:55 pm »
That was fun. I ticked every box and a few more. There were not enough 'other' options for my liking.

I would recommend removing the 'want to do this survey again' link.

Good luck with your degree.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2 on: 09 January, 2014, 04:41:22 pm »
Hi Goerge,

Haven't filled the survey in, as I don't cycle in London, but wondered, given that your survey is a question based on cycling as a sustainable means, do you think one of the questions should include commuting times, and rough distances involved, since I imagine this being the reason for most cycle journeys in the Big Smoke.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2014, 05:02:41 pm »
@Riggers

Thanks, the paper is really about cycling as a sustainable from, in particular the drives and barriers of cycling in london, a key theme emerging being safety. Commuting would be a valid research area but i've got to limit it, as my word count is only 10,000 words unfortunately i cannot include everything.

@Shyumu

Thanks for your feedback, I have tried editing and hopefully that link has now disappeared, I think the purpose of it was to share through social media and email.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2014, 06:03:29 pm »
Commuting time was a major driver for me in cycling everyday to work.

(I don't live in London so can't really do your survey)

It used to take me about 40-45 minutes to drive to work from where I live.
Cycling takes me 18-24 minutes (yes I time it  ;D )

Pretty major driver for me...  I wouldn't dream of driving in now- far too slow and stressful to boot.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2014, 03:06:08 pm »
Thanks to everyone who took my survey, greatly appreciated,

And thanks for your comments, taken note.

Now to assess the data collected, happy new year all.