Author Topic: Outsanding Stupidity just for us.  (Read 4026 times)

Re: Outsanding Stupidity just for us.
« Reply #25 on: 27 August, 2014, 01:06:05 pm »
Apart from cyclists crossing from Prince Albert Drive, anyone with any sense diverts through Battersea park and exits or rejoins Queenstown Road via Ravenet Street.
The problem is that this route is not indicated anywhere, yet it's a perfectly usable, quiet backroads route that avoids almost all conflict and is actually quite pleasant.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #26 on: 27 August, 2014, 01:22:14 pm »
Would I still be entitled to ride in the bits occupied by cars in the picture? They're not proposing a mandatory bike lane, are they?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #27 on: 27 August, 2014, 01:32:16 pm »
Would I still be entitled to ride in the bits occupied by cars in the picture? They're not proposing a mandatory bike lane, are they?

The 'mandatory' bit in 'mandatory cycle lane (as the law currently stands) is that it is mandatory for motor vehicles to keep out  - not for cyclists to use it.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Paul

« Reply #28 on: 27 August, 2014, 01:36:53 pm »
Yes, I know. But I was wondering whether the segregation in the proposed roundabout might take this a bit further.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #29 on: 27 August, 2014, 01:39:12 pm »
If you look carefully at the picture, you will notice small speakers attached to the traffic lights. These will issue the helpful message "Get in the bloody cycle lane!" at regular intervals.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #30 on: 27 August, 2014, 09:37:38 pm »

The 'mandatory' bit in 'mandatory cycle lane (as the law currently stands) is that it is mandatory for motor vehicles to keep out  - not for cyclists to use it.
And it couldn't be in any case because over the vast majority of it's extent motor vehicles will need to be crossing in to get to and from the roundabout.

« Reply #31 on: 27 August, 2014, 09:42:44 pm »
I'd like to see a smaller and simpler roundabout used (not just here). The new ones I've seen over the past two weeks in Poland! I think they might be taken from a German design - or somewhere.
These are described in this traffic advisory leaflet:
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.dft.gov.uk/adobepdf/165240/244921/244924/TAL_9-97/

Paul

« Reply #32 on: 27 August, 2014, 10:58:30 pm »
If you look carefully at the picture, you will notice small speakers attached to the traffic lights. These will issue the helpful message "Get in the bloody cycle lane!" at regular intervals.

You won't need that - the drivers will do that job. I really worry that it's a (nother) thin end of the wedge.

Regulator

« Reply #33 on: 28 August, 2014, 06:54:18 am »
Yes, I know. But I was wondering whether the segregation in the proposed roundabout might take this a bit further.

It would require new legislation, so highly unlikely.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #34 on: 28 August, 2014, 06:55:47 am »

And it couldn't be in any case because over the vast majority of it's extent motor vehicles will need to be crossing in to get to and from the roundabout.

That's not an issue.  You can still have a mandatory cycle that motor vehicles are allowed to pass over to turn off.

As it is is, according to the picture they're not proposing a mandatory cycle lane... which means that you can guarantee that at least some drivers will end up driving in the cycle lane.

Green Party Councillor

Si_Co

« Reply #35 on: 28 August, 2014, 06:59:11 am »
Can you imagine the carnage WVM or taxi driver will cause going 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock at rush hour  :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #36 on: 28 August, 2014, 12:06:56 pm »
I'd like to see a smaller and simpler roundabout used (not just here). The new ones I've seen over the past two weeks in Poland! I think they might be taken from a German design - or somewhere.
These are described in this traffic advisory leaflet:
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.dft.gov.uk/adobepdf/165240/244921/244924/TAL_9-97/
Yes, that kind of thing. The ones I saw were probably even tighter than that in terms of the circulatory carriageway (but with the rubbly area for long vehicles) but very similar. One thing that leaflet doesn't mention is cost of building - I'd imagine it's cheaper to build these small roundabouts (less land and materials) which might be what appeals to the Polish roads budget!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.