Author Topic: Next Years PBP Qualifiers from Kirkley near Newcastle  (Read 2940 times)

Next Years PBP Qualifiers from Kirkley near Newcastle
« on: 16 August, 2014, 04:13:26 pm »
Sorry  Andy - Good  title..  I have only two serious qualifiers out of my events.

21st Feburary:   Kirkley Gallop 200:. What  it  says  on the tin  - a  basic flat-as-possible 200K to get in the qualifying bag. Commercial Controls on a route via Newcastle to Ingleby Barwick (Tees-side). Back via Croft-on-Tees, Pierce bridge and Durham. At the finish expect a warm welcome at Kirkley cafe. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5654805

9th May: The Chevy Chase 200: Attractive event with superb scenery topped  off with the upper  Coquet valley and Otterburn military range roads . Three café controls are visited  plus one roadside car  stop where we plan to re-introduce the  famous  home-made  flap-jack. Although  a  BRM event  I don't  expect  many  people  to be entering as  their PBP qualifier  on the  last qualifying  weekend   –  just  rock up ride and enjoy. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5672896

10th May Burma Road 100K - scenic  'over the ranges 100 K' could make an ECE for someone

23rd May The Mosstrooper 300: Could be described hilly in parts. The start, Crawleyside Killhope Cross and Hartside and  finish,  Bellingham and Winters Gibbet.
We are again planning a Mugglewick breakfast stop, then onto the Penrith for lunch. into the  debatable  lands to Bewcastle and Newcastleton, Copshaw Kitchen then Kelder, Bellingham and Elsdon,  http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5672858

As with CC a  hilly  300K on the  last  qualifying  weekend  is unlikely  to  attract many  PBP hopefuls  but with an attractive route  and plenty  of  good  stops one to consider as  a training for:-

30th May The Border Raid 600: (to be published) Although  an X rated event, with  no support during the ride. I have planned  this  600 around  a  flattish* route with good overnight facilities. The  ride goes  South through Gateshead, to Durham and Piercebridge to Barton and the turn at  Topcliffe (Near  Ripon) You then Follow  the  2014 National 400 Route over Garsdale  Head to Selkirk and then double  back through  the  Howngills  to Ravenstonedale.  Re-join the National 400 route at  Orton and onto Shap Penrith and 300K Control at  Excelby services M6 J42. Via  Longtown to Gretna services at  332K.  Lockerbie lorry park and Johnstonebridge  services at 370K give doze or bed options. Control at Moffat then on  the  A708 climb over to  Selkirk. Berwick (500K) and  Bamburgh (540K)  then back to the finish. There is basic sleeping at the start. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5636445

*We are  in northern England  and  do have to cross  the Pennines and Southern Uplands of Scotland. I cannot make  it any flatter than  it  is.. ;)

Aidan.

Bairn Again

Re: Next Years PBP Qulifiers from Kirkley near Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2014, 06:13:59 pm »
Flat February 200 looks tempting, easy to reach from Edinburgh too. 

« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2014, 11:42:12 am »
Was thinking the same.  1hr drive from the Borders too  :thumbsup:
@CorbieLinnRider

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2014, 12:49:20 pm »
600 looks good for me , possible with a camp around Moffat !

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2014, 03:48:09 pm »
I like the look of the 300 and 600, but wonder if (as Aidan says) the 300 is cutting it a bit close to the end of the qualifying window.

« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2014, 06:19:12 pm »
I would recommend the Chevy Chase 200. I rode it this year and I really enjoyed it. Tempted to do it again in 2015, though maybe without as much rain!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 17 August, 2014, 07:29:31 pm »
I like the look of the 300 and 600, but wonder if (as Aidan says) the 300 is cutting it a bit close to the end of the qualifying window.
Without any events LATE in the window, there's no point in riding one EARLY in the window! :)

(and you get better weather later in the ... er ... window. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #7 on: 17 August, 2014, 07:30:18 pm »
I would recommend the Chevy Chase 200. I rode it this year and I really enjoyed it. Tempted to do it again in 2015, though maybe without as much rain!

Hugo... coming on the PBP adventure?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2014, 07:41:26 pm »
30th May The Border Raid 600: (to be published) Although  an X rated event, with  no support during the ride. I have planned  this  600 around  a  flattish* route with good overnight facilities. The  ride goes  South through Gateshead, to Durham and  on Via  Piercebridge to Northalleton and the turn at  Topcliffe (Near  Ripon) You then Follow  the  2014 National 400 Route over Garsdale  Head to Selkirk and then double  back through  the  Howngills  to Ravenstonedale.  Re-join the National 400 route at  Orton and onto Shap Penrith and 300K Control at  Excelby services M6 J42. Via  Longtown to Gretna services at  332K.  Lockerbie lorry park and Johnstonebridge  services at 370K give doze or bed options. Control at Moffat then on  the  A708 climb over to  Selkirk. Berwick (500K) and  Bamburgh (540K)  then back to the finish. There is basic sleeping at the start. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5636445

*We are  in northern England  and  do have to cross  the Pennines and Southern Uplands of Scotland. I cannot make  it any flatter than  it  is.. ;)

Is this the same as the event of the same name run a few years ago?

( IIRC there were tales of tempests on Buttertubs! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #9 on: 17 August, 2014, 07:47:23 pm »

30th May The Border Raid 600: (to be published) ...

Is this the same as the event of the same name run a few years ago?

( IIRC there were tales of tempests on Buttertubs! )

Tempests on Buttertubs?!? Count me in!

Re: Next Years PBP Qualifiers from Kirkley near Newcastle
« Reply #10 on: 17 August, 2014, 09:21:20 pm »
Border-Raid Is this the same as the event of the same name run a few years ago?
Similar, but with unnecessary hills removed. The  border raid never went over Buttertubs.
Just do please be  aware you are  on you own. Will be a tour of  shops pubs and service stations. No TLC planned

« Reply #11 on: 18 August, 2014, 06:04:31 pm »

Hugo... coming on the PBP adventure?

Why, are you looking for support crew?

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #12 on: 18 August, 2014, 07:08:05 pm »
YHPM

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 18 August, 2014, 07:34:15 pm »
Border-Raid Is this the same as the event of the same name run a few years ago?
Similar, but with unnecessary hills removed. The  border raid never went over Buttertubs.
Just do please be  aware you are  on you own. Will be a tour of  shops pubs and service stations. No TLC planned

Devil's Beeftub? Do they have tempests there? (I haven't ridden either, sorry about the dyslexia ... )

Anyway, looks like a lovely route. (Might need to arrange some TLC for this southern softie.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #14 on: 21 August, 2014, 11:37:50 pm »
Matt, I think you're thinking of Shap, where a few people packed cos of the hideous winds a few years ago. 2008, possibly.

The 600 looks lovely, Aidan. Any chance of a southern start on the 200?

« Reply #15 on: 25 August, 2014, 11:35:00 pm »
update, The 600 has had a test ride this weekend. Nothing like trying it for yourself, Found that the stops and services worked, got a few hours sleep in a bed at lockerbie services. £20 well spent.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #16 on: 27 August, 2014, 04:09:59 pm »
Excellent website Aidan.

recumbentim

« Reply #17 on: 08 September, 2014, 03:39:34 pm »
Dose anyone know when The Border Raid will go on the calendar?

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #18 on: 16 September, 2014, 10:53:22 am »
Dose anyone know when The Border Raid will go on the calendar?

It is just waiting for approval.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #19 on: 01 October, 2014, 08:30:30 pm »
This is in the calendar now.

Yay!  Thanks to Aidan and to everyone who worked to get this published.

30th May The Border Raid 600: (to be published) Although  an X rated event, with  no support during the ride. I have planned  this  600 around  a  flattish* route with good overnight facilities. The  ride goes  South through Gateshead, to Durham and Piercebridge to Barton and the turn at  Topcliffe (Near  Ripon) You then Follow  the  2014 National 400 Route over Garsdale  Head to Selkirk and then double  back through  the  Howngills  to Ravenstonedale.  Re-join the National 400 route at  Orton and onto Shap Penrith and 300K Control at  Excelby services M6 J42. Via  Longtown to Gretna services at  332K.  Lockerbie lorry park and Johnstonebridge  services at 370K give doze or bed options. Control at Moffat then on  the  A708 climb over to  Selkirk. Berwick (500K) and  Bamburgh (540K)  then back to the finish. There is basic sleeping at the start. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5636445

« Reply #20 on: 03 October, 2014, 10:09:27 pm »
Just noticed that it's up on Aukweb.  :thumbsup:

I'll be popping my name down for most of the rides I think, might even ride one or two of them this year too...  ;D

« Reply #21 on: 03 October, 2014, 10:24:36 pm »
Planning to provide a  little more support than  promised up thread.  Village hall  lunch in planning stage at  Topcliffe  hence the  £10  entry  fee  :)
Hoping  for  20+  riders to  cover  hall rental costs, otherwise  it's just  fish'n'chips from the van.

« Reply #22 on: 06 October, 2014, 02:07:52 pm »
Border Raid:  Five entries so far, two from Edinburgh
With the option of  overnight accommodation for £17.50 at  Lockerbie Lorry Park (have contacted them and you are expected) a very do-able 'X' rated 600K

« Reply #23 on: 08 October, 2014, 09:46:19 am »
Oh testicles.

After signing up on Sunday, I got my summer exam timetable yesterday - I have a maths exam at 9am on the Monday morning. Hmm.

recumbentim

« Reply #24 on: 09 October, 2014, 11:49:57 am »
Truck stops go a bar , there's a challenge to make it by 11pm?