Author Topic: Bivvy bags and rain  (Read 21273 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Bivvy bags and rain
« Reply #50 on: 11 January, 2015, 10:10:59 am »
I got a tip from an Ultra endurance cyclists who says some use bubblewrap. Its cheep (sometimes free) and can be shaped to your size/weight requirements. Its also disposable/recycleable, and can be bought en-route (post offices for instance). I saw a chap on here using somethig like that in July.

I use a variant on this, I have some of that foil coated bubble wrap loft insulation. I use it as a ground mat underneath my exped synmat. I have some bungee cord that I have used to create two giant rubber bands to hold the two together.

HTH

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #51 on: 11 January, 2015, 10:29:24 pm »
I got a tip from an Ultra endurance cyclists who says some use bubblewrap. Its cheep (sometimes free) and can be shaped to your size/weight requirements. Its also disposable/recycleable, and can be bought en-route (post offices for instance). I saw a chap on here using somethig like that in July.

I use a variant on this, I have some of that foil coated bubble wrap loft insulation. I use it as a ground mat underneath my exped synmat. I have some bungee cord that I have used to create two giant rubber bands to hold the two together.

HTH

J

Brilliant stuff for pot cosies as well (although you need rather less!)
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #52 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:58:49 pm »
I've used bubblewrap in France year before last plus a £17 singleskin High Peak tent that weighs 880g. It worked out fine for an emergency camping kit. Slept like a baby. I'm 6'2" and had enough room, plus my kit was in there. Fair amount of condensation though but to be fair, the grass was covered in heavy dew in the morning. The tent is steep sided so the condensation does not drip on you.
Nothing left to prove. http://adenough1.blogspot.co.uk/

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #53 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:27:50 am »
I got my Alpkit Hunka for Christmas. I haven't tried it out properly yet but climbing inside on Christmas Day just for fun. I can see how you might be able to pull it over your face but will have a proper play when the weather gets warmer.

« Reply #54 on: 23 January, 2015, 01:00:20 pm »
I got my Alpkit Hunka for Christmas. I haven't tried it out properly yet but climbing inside on Christmas Day just for fun. I can see how you might be able to pull it over your face but will have a proper play when the weather gets warmer.

That sounds like a good reason to have a YACF ride and bivvy get together when it isn't quite so cold.  ;D
Inspired by the 'enthusiasts' over on the bearbones bikepacking forum I plan to do at least one bivvy a month this year...
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #55 on: 23 January, 2015, 02:36:41 pm »
The biggest problem with using a bivvy bag on its own is that you have no way of doing your admin if it's raining in any degree of comfort.  A tarp allows you to live comfortably leaving the bivvy bag to keep the moisture and wind off assuring you a good nights sleep.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #56 on: 23 January, 2015, 06:36:52 pm »

That sounds like a good reason to have a YACF ride and bivvy get together when it isn't quite so cold.  ;D
Inspired by the 'enthusiasts' over on the bearbones bikepacking forum I plan to do at least one bivvy a month this year...

Absolutely.  Cunning plans are beginning to formulate in my little brain.

« Reply #57 on: 24 January, 2015, 10:33:24 pm »
Me and mini mekon now both have Hunkas and snugpak travelpak 3s waiting to be used. Suspect a Rig 7 will arrive soon. We'll be well up for a YACF bivvy. Just deciding between a Neoair xlite and a xtherm

« Reply #58 on: 25 January, 2015, 02:51:24 pm »
No rain but there was a bivvy....

Last night: my January Bivvy  ;D

Left home at about 9.30pm after supper and tucking my youngest daughter in. Rode all of 1 mile to where a local bridleway meets a footpath. Bivvi 'pitched' and in my sleeping bag by about 10.30 pm.

My synthetic two-three season bag wasn't going to be enough warm enough, so I wore thermals, silk socks and thick walking socks (the latter doubled over my feet), a  wool beanie - and for extra warmth I used my massive down filled Arctic scientist parka - that was a charity shop find last summer - as a blanket.

Slept very snugly to be woken by at 6.50am by a dog barking madly at this strange  thing 'growing' on the route of his morning walk. After a "sorry" and a "Are you OK"   from the dog walker and a  "yes I'm fine thanks" reply  -  through the closed bivvy - I got up,  had some chocolate, packed up and was home by half seven having a very welcome cup of tea....

Water in my drinks bottle - inside the bivvy - was nicely frozen...

Much fun...  :cool:

About to leave:

Fist time bike packing on this bike - so I improvised carrying the less than compact (£11 Tesco) sleep mat.
Sleeping bag on the bars,
(Loosely rolled) bivvy behind the saddle

Pitched - ready for bed:

Leave no trace - except for the lack of frost:

« Reply #59 on: 25 January, 2015, 03:16:42 pm »
Thats above and beyond the call of wotsaname.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #60 on: 25 January, 2015, 03:42:02 pm »
No rain but there was a bivvy....

Last night: my January Bivvy  ;D

Welcome to the idiot club :thumbsup:

I'm off on one this week, I'm not fully recovered yet but I've missed my trips out under the stars.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Oscar's dad

« Reply #61 on: 26 January, 2015, 07:18:21 pm »
Superb!

« Reply #62 on: 26 January, 2015, 10:06:48 pm »
Brilliant. Am super excited about my recent deliveries from Alpkit. Itching to give my kit a try.Just waiting for my mat (Neoair Xlite) to arrive.

« Reply #63 on: 26 January, 2015, 10:22:28 pm »
Am 52 next week.
Birthday list includes:

1 x Bivvy Bag
1 x Tarp
Ropes n stuff.

If there's a bivvy for beginners weekend, count me in!

Only question:  Am 5'9 and mildly rotund but not broad.  Hunka or Hunka XL? 
I have a thin 3/4 self inflating mat and lightweight sleep bag.

Mrs FF thinks I've lost the plot   :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #64 on: 27 January, 2015, 06:38:56 am »
Regular Hunka I'd say.  I'm over 6ft and regular seems fine.

« Reply #65 on: 27 January, 2015, 11:25:30 am »
I think the YACF Idiot club (Oxfordshire branch) should sort out an overnight excursion to christen FF's new kit... FF, let me know if/when you're keen post birthday. It could be my February bivvi...  :)

I'll start another thread later to discuss a location for a more convenient location to all, tarp 'n' tent weekend..  :)

« Reply #66 on: 27 January, 2015, 06:27:29 pm »
Good !,I am up for a bivvi camp  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #67 on: 01 March, 2015, 12:11:10 pm »

Tarp camping in Equador, from Cass Gilbert
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #68 on: 01 March, 2015, 12:44:43 pm »
That looks amazing  :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #69 on: 01 March, 2015, 06:48:27 pm »
I think the YACF Idiot club (Oxfordshire branch) should sort out an overnight excursion to christen FF's new kit... FF, let me know if/when you're keen post birthday. It could be my February bivvi...  :)

I'll start another thread later to discuss a location for a more convenient location to all, tarp 'n' tent weekend..  :)

We have a few Freewheekers up for this ... When the weather improves?