Author Topic: Think I'm out...Oh, no maybe I'm not... Oh, yes I am!  (Read 6780 times)

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
Re: Think I'm out...Oh, no maybe I'm not... Let's see!
« Reply #50 on: 15 May, 2015, 10:13:12 am »

I have failed to significantly improve my fitness and get my weight down. Until I deal with these, I will always be fighting a bigger gorilla than I need to.

I love the Gorilla analogy. It's also the story of my life.
But where's the fun in fighting a smaller Gorilla?  ;D

I almost gave up with the idea of riding LEL in 2013 after a particularly tough 400 a few weeks beforehand. I couldn't imagine I'd manage LEL.
As it turned out I did just fine on LEL. I was at my strongest I've probably ever been on the final day.
At 30 years old you really are just a youngster in Audax terms so you've got at least 40 years to go. (I'm not sure if that's a good thing to dwell on for too long! :facepalm:)
Good luck with the Gorilla.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #51 on: 15 May, 2015, 03:41:33 pm »
You want to go up against the Gorilla?
(click to show/hide)

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #52 on: 15 May, 2015, 05:30:10 pm »
Sadly not, my Gorilla is the Smokin' Joe Frazier model.
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #53 on: 15 May, 2015, 09:44:17 pm »
When it comes to (protection from) gorillas, allegedly I'm yer man....

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=89514.msg1838347#msg1838347

;D
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #54 on: 15 May, 2015, 11:03:43 pm »
The forecast on Metcheck was rather good when I looked earlier - it's way to early to be anything like sure though.

Having said that people were posting about potential heavy snow about 2 weeks in advance of my first 300 a couple of years ago and I pooh poohed that - their evidence was Metcheck.  Metcheck turned out right and I had to do another ride.

So I'll believe Metcheck this time ;)
Are you talking about the Dean? If so, the snow didn't stop everyone, just the sane ones!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #55 on: 16 May, 2015, 09:55:16 am »
Yes it was the Dean - and yes I am aware that three people headed off and two (at least) completed - it must have been fun descending Cleeve Hill in that.  :facepalm:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #56 on: 29 May, 2015, 08:22:16 am »
Well, how did it go...

Are you in or out? 

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

« Reply #57 on: 29 May, 2015, 03:56:13 pm »
From the WCW thread , it looks like Ella is still in the game.
Good luck, pace yourself and it will all work out o.k.

« Reply #58 on: 29 May, 2015, 05:25:54 pm »
Yep - definitely finished the Spurn Head ride, someone from the club rode with her towards the very end of the ride.

« Reply #59 on: 29 May, 2015, 07:20:05 pm »
Ella I hope so. We were on the table next to you in McDonalds. You deserve a place after that.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

« Reply #60 on: 31 May, 2015, 03:29:14 pm »
Sadly I'm out. Just couldn't get back into the swing of things in on the return leg of WCW and wasn't going to make the controls in time. Still, I really did try. And we'll see what I feel like in two/four years.

Anyway, I'm still the queen of bicycles and will be having a summer of touring and silly quick races. Not done with audaxing either, but for the sake of having a life I think I'll stick to 100km grimpeurs and 200s till VR next summer.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. Apart from the bits where I cried or thought I was going to throw up this whole attempting to qualify and pushing the feral, exhausted, sleep deprived envelop has been mostly positive.

« Reply #61 on: 31 May, 2015, 03:34:30 pm »
Ella

You gave it a go and now you know the type of challenge you will be building up to in 2019, which by the way, I believe will be the best ever PBP.

The key thing is you will no longer be looking over your shoulder and saying "what if?" as you had the courage to try, and that takes some doing.

Enjoy your summer now that you have been released from the shackles of PBP and enjoy cycle touring without the need to be constantly looking at your watch and living in a world of sleep deprivation.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #62 on: 31 May, 2015, 03:39:00 pm »
..2019, which by the way, I believe will be the best ever PBP.

Yeah I heard that too  ;D

Ella, you showed you have the right stuff.  We can't always win...

« Reply #63 on: 31 May, 2015, 04:00:09 pm »
Sadly I'm out. Just couldn't get back into the swing of things in on the return leg of WCW and wasn't going to make the controls in time. Still, I really did try. And we'll see what I feel like in two/four years.

Anyway, I'm still the queen of bicycles and will be having a summer of touring and silly quick races. Not done with audaxing either, but for the sake of having a life I think I'll stick to 100km grimpeurs and 200s till VR next summer.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. Apart from the bits where I cried or thought I was going to throw up this whole attempting to qualify and pushing the feral, exhausted, sleep deprived envelop has been mostly positive.

Well, I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you, but you certainly have won my admiration and I think you have the right level of determination.  You gave it a good go, and to step up to a challenge that was (at this point) beyond you is something you can still be proud of.  From what I've seen, you've got what it takes to do this, and I am looking forward to seeing you on next year's National 400 (coming to you in 2016 from Peak Audax).  We'll give you plenty of support to get you round that as a step towards LEL 2017.

Enjoy your time as finish controller on next weekend's Pair of Kirtons (and do let me know if you want to ride instead!)

« Reply #64 on: 31 May, 2015, 04:12:02 pm »

(my bold)

That's the only thing that really matters. If you really tried to do your best, then you won't regret your decision.

Re: Think I'm out...Oh, no maybe I'm not... Oh, yes I am!
« Reply #65 on: 31 May, 2015, 05:12:19 pm »
Sorry to hear that Ella - East and West Coasts out of the question?
"Res firma mitescere nescit."

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #66 on: 31 May, 2015, 05:25:10 pm »

Well done Ella, you tried and in this game that's far more than many   :thumbsup:

FWIW, I rode a 100km yesterday in the sun, stopped to take loads of photos and was home for dinner — I thoroughly enjoyed it!  :)  My PBP qualifying SR did feel forced, definite "type 2 fun", and some of it not even that — I've often wondered "why?" this year.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #67 on: 31 May, 2015, 06:15:04 pm »
Sorry to hear that Ella - East and West Coasts out of the question?

You lot! Worse than crack dealers! "Just one little 370mile ride. You'll like it."

If I ever attempt a SR series again I won't be going into 400 and 600 unless I am 100% well and 100% rested. My legs were still feeling last weekend, and I see no reason to approach these distances nonchalantly.

Have fun riding in France in August. I will too. With more showers, sleep, wine and summer dresses.

And see some of you at the end of Kirtons. Pretty sure that'll reassure me I've made the correct decision.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #68 on: 31 May, 2015, 08:31:31 pm »

Shame.
FWIW I could get into WCW at all last year, it just ground me down. I had good company though and got round O.K in the end.
Keep fighting that Gorilla, whatever size it may be.
              Up to my neck in pain"

Bairn Again

« Reply #69 on: 31 May, 2015, 09:15:04 pm »
Hi Ella - Ive been following your story with interest.

I had a similar experience in 2003, I tried to qualify for PBP not fully prepared and ended up finally giving up after DNF-ing on the Daylight 600.  I decided to buildup to PBP 2007 there and then and bulit up slowly and gradually doing my first SR in 2005.  In the end, an otherwise tough PBP 2007 was completed without a shred of doubt that Id finish.  You can do the same for 2019.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #70 on: 01 June, 2015, 12:16:06 pm »
Well I'm still in by the skin of my teeth after yet another DNF on the BCM.  I've just booked my bike and myself on the Eurostar on Aug 15th so that's further incentive to finish this off...

... on a Pair of Kirtons this weekend.  See there Ella, I hope I'm not too dishevelled for you at the finish ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #71 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:17:08 am »
I'm leaving my qualification until the last minute, riding the East and West Coasts on the 20th June. I don't need to convert my pre-registration until the 23rd.
I know the route well, and I can train for it specifically, by doing local hilly rides, hopefully in good weather. There's a lot of flatland riding, punctuated by some long drags. The return to the control at Mytholmroyd at 375km allows a sleep stop at about the right time to allow the remaining 230 to be done in daylight. It's only 5 km over 600, and it can be entered at the last minute.

I might not ride PBP, I've been alternating styles between filming and participating, and filming from a motorbike. There are logistical problems to be solved, and not riding is the easier option, but it's not supposed to be easy, is it?

« Reply #72 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:09:11 am »
Ella,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't manage to finish WCW, especially as you had been riding well on the first half - and much better than me for the section into Christleton.  I don't know when you headed for a station, but if it's any consolation I think everyone I spoke to at the Church Aston control was commenting that the run from Christleton had been tough.  It might be worth trying another 600 in a few weeks, so you'll have some time to recover before the next one.  I went on a local club run the weekend after my 400 and found those 80km tough.  I am impressed you managed over 300 with so little recovery time.

Rob

« Reply #73 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:19:49 am »
^^^^  Regards Ella

All is not lost for an SR this year.

East and West coats is a good option if you arrange to ride with someone to keep you company and ensure a steady pace.  The sleep stop and food back at the Hall is a super arrangement that allows a reduced day on the Sunday.  Alternatively, get cycling between now and September and an early 600 Perm or DIY with suitable TLC arranged would complete you SR and that would be a noteworthy achievement.  Shame not to capitalise on those 200/300/400 rides, and the 400 is probably the hardest which you have done!

Food for thought and hopefully the combined 'love' on YACF will help you out, if you so wish.