Author Topic: The pet-specific bad news thread  (Read 100587 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The pet-specific bad news thread
« Reply #650 on: 30 May, 2024, 11:51:43 am »
Was the squits not a side effect of the diabetes treatment?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #651 on: 01 June, 2024, 10:53:09 am »
Turned out to be a treatable liver infection. He's coming home today  :thumbsup:

Insurance is completely cleared out for diabetes now.  He's going to be an expensive cat.  Also, he's going onto insulin so my daughter gets my place on holiday in July - a neigjbour has offered to inject him but Dumpy doesn't like her (he likes 7 people in the entire world!)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #652 on: 01 June, 2024, 12:03:33 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #653 on: 01 June, 2024, 01:36:25 pm »
Good news that it is treatable.
neigjbour has offered to inject him
Cats on meds are a real headache.  We have no plans for a holiday, but if we are out of action with illness etc, I think our monster would need to go into a cattery with experience of long term medical problems.
Off to the vets for 6-month check up on Monday. The vet always goes off and tries to get a blood sample then comes back with lacerated hands to tell me she will need to be sedated.
So far Petplan insurance is paying up OK.

« Reply #654 on: 01 June, 2024, 01:46:25 pm »
Good news that it is treatable.
neigjbour has offered to inject him
Cats on meds are a real headache.  We have no plans for a holiday, but if we are out of action with illness etc, I think our monster would need to go into a cattery with experience of long term medical problems.
Off to the vets for 6-month check up on Monday. The vet always goes off and tries to get a blood sample then comes back with lacerated hands to tell me she will need to be sedated.
So far Petplan insurance is paying up OK.
My bold.
Kevlar-lined motorcycle clothing used to work well as protection when it came to spraying my three with Flea Deth.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #655 on: 01 June, 2024, 03:39:30 pm »
Good news it's treatable. Shame the new diabetes thing didn't work out, why are they moving him from that onto insulin, out of interest?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

« Reply #656 on: 01 June, 2024, 04:05:13 pm »
He developed diarrhoea, which is a known side-effect but should clear up and didn't.  It may have been unrelated but they don't want to take the risk again since he became very ill.

He can't go back on it now he's had injected insulin - it's one of the contraindications.

Update: first feed and insulin injection were easy enough.  He has six different medications at the moment, although that will reduce to just insulin and a liver supplement eventually.

rogerzilla

« Reply #657 on: Yesterday at 09:57:58 pm »
Another update: it turns out he is actually easier than Tigs when it comes to administering tablets.  I thought he'd take my hand off but he swallows them without complaint.  Tigs can hide one in his mouth for 5 minutes before spitting it into a secret  corner!