Author Topic: Getting tired of people asking for refunds  (Read 8515 times)

Re: Getting tired of people asking for refunds
« Reply #75 on: 19 April, 2015, 12:54:12 pm »
Hmmm....

My wife works in the NHS and doesn't get her "off duty" (strange phrase but that's what they call it) until sometimes as little as 4 weeks in advance. I'd looked at the WCW but didn't enter straight away because I had no idea if she'd be working that weekend and hence I'd not have been able to ride the event.

£30 was definitely a factor. In no way would I have expected a refund so entering could have been literally the same as taking three ten pound notes and flushing them down the toilet. Something I wasn't keen to do.

Naturally as soon as we found that she wasn't going to be working that weekend I discovered that WCW was full :(

The upshot is that I'll now be using the weekend to volunteer at the Hartlebury control   ;D
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #76 on: 19 April, 2015, 01:22:13 pm »
A minimum of four weeks' notice of days off? Luxury!

One of the downsides of my job is a rostering system that gives me an average of four weeks' notice of days off, with a maximum of six weeks and a minimum of around 10 days. Missed birthdays, weddings, funerals, social events and, of course, rides are part of the deal. Each year I lose anything up to several hundred pounds in entry fees for this reason. I've never asked for a refund - it's my choice to do the job I do, and on the very rare occasion an event gets rescheduled I'm as likely to benefit as to lose from the fact.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #77 on: 19 April, 2015, 01:31:13 pm »
I don't think commercial pilots' and nurses' cashflows are easily comparable.
Says she who earned comfortable amounts in her time and usually had predictable rosters.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #78 on: 19 April, 2015, 01:39:17 pm »
Helly, while it's true that I'm one of the lucky ones (who will soon be extinct in UK commercial aviation), the majority of my younger colleagues who work for, for example, certain orange or green airlines generally earn salaries - once they stop paying to fly - much closer to a nurse's payscale than you might imagine.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #79 on: 19 April, 2015, 01:44:41 pm »
Helly, while it's true that I'm one of the lucky ones (who will soon be extinct in UK commercial aviation), the majority of my younger colleagues who work for, for example, certain orange or green airlines generally earn salaries - once they stop paying to fly - much closer to a nurse's payscale than you might imagine.

:( :( :(

« Reply #80 on: 19 April, 2015, 07:21:14 pm »
I'd think it at least possible that 'my' place may be sold on.

But no-one could take your place.

You old smoothie, Mike ;D