Author Topic: Sleeping en route - anyone ever tried using a lilo?  (Read 4746 times)

Re: Sleeping en route - anyone ever tried using a lilo?
« Reply #25 on: 18 March, 2016, 07:47:39 am »
Martin, above, points out the major flaw with this idea.  There are two things you want from a sleeping mat: comfort and warmth.  It might provide a bit of the first, but not the second - it will be very cold!

« Reply #26 on: 18 March, 2016, 10:00:11 am »
A can of ‘Spray-a-bed’.

Shake it, spray it in a rectangle on a grassy field, let it set to a two inch mattress of foam and there you have it.
Biodegradable. Just leave it for the rain to wash away.
Contains organic materials that double as fertiliser.

Happy Friday everybody  ;D

Priddy

• One of the "wrong sorts"
« Reply #27 on: 18 March, 2016, 07:16:28 pm »
The only event I've ever slept at the side of the road on is PBP. The weather has always been quite warm even at night so I've always just used one of those silver space blankets, the type they hand out at the end of marathons. Grass provides enough comfort and the blanket under me has kept me warm enough. When it gets a bit chilly just wrap yourself up and it gets nice and toasty.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #28 on: 18 March, 2016, 09:34:34 pm »
Once properly tired I do not find snatching some sleep a hard.  Once slept sheltered behind some concrete blocks at the end of the Severn Bridge (Welsh side).  Now that I have 3 wheels recumbent I already d find myself sitting on a bed (this might bring its own difficulties). 
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #29 on: 19 March, 2016, 07:01:47 am »
Once properly tired I do not find snatching some sleep hard.

Same here. What I would find hard would be having to manipulate any equipment - at that stage it's usually much too bewildering to do anything beyond
1. Select inconspicuous place to lie down.
2. Lie down.
[....and then
3. Wake (cold but very refreshed) about 15 minutes later.]

« Reply #30 on: 21 March, 2016, 11:52:33 pm »
I found a roll of silvery stuff in the attic - I think a plumbing thing used to wrap hot water cylinders that functions like silvery bubblewrap but very tough. I have around 10 metres of it, a lifetimes supply. I cut a 60cm piece off it and folded it into bottom of saddlebag. Possibly suffering from placebo effect but it seemed to work. Lately have just used a cheap lifesystems bivvy bag without a mat - sweaty but keeps wind off and I've found that to be more important that 'comfort'.