Author Topic: largest tyres for Enigma Etape  (Read 5972 times)

largest tyres for Enigma Etape
« on: 11 February, 2015, 04:03:56 am »
I have an Enigma Etape and I'm using Conti GP4000S 25mm tyres. I'd like to go to the 28mm GP4000SIIs if they'll fit.

Has anyone tried larger tyres? Enigma say 25mm max with the fenders fitted. I'm not using the fenders (it doesn't rain that much here in my part of Australia). And the Contis run a bit smaller than some tyres anyway I think.

Thanks.

Otto

• Biking Bad
Re: largest tyres for Enigma Etape
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2015, 06:22:31 am »
The Enigma website says 25c with narrow guards... you may be able to  squeeze in 28s with out the guards but who knows!

« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2015, 08:14:44 am »
I ran Michelin Dynamics 28c on a frame with tight clearances. I don't know how they compare to the Contis, but they're cheap and a very nice ride.

« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2015, 10:10:25 am »
How big a gap do you have now between tyre and guards? If you have 3mm all round then sure the 28s will fit.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2015, 10:24:08 am »
How big a gap do you have now between tyre and guards? If you have 3mm all round then sure the 28s will fit.

This.  You've already got the bike, now go find a ruler.

« Reply #5 on: 11 February, 2015, 01:27:06 pm »
Mine currently has 25mm Conti Gator Hardshells & mudguards. I don't think I could fit anything fatter under the guards, but it looks as if 28mm might fit without them.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #6 on: 22 February, 2015, 11:27:42 pm »
Thanks all. It looks like I have 3mm easily (I'd guess more like 10), as I'm not using the mudguards and don't really need them here in Australia. Or at least not on the back (I use a rack on long rides).

I'm also interested in trying some other brands of tyres, and there's a lot of variation in how these are measured. I guess I'll just have to order them and hope for the best.

« Reply #7 on: 23 February, 2015, 06:49:10 am »
Thanks all. It looks like I have 3mm easily (I'd guess more like 10), as I'm not using the mudguards and don't really need them here in Australia. Or at least not on the back (I use a rack on long rides).

I'm also interested in trying some other brands of tyres, and there's a lot of variation in how these are measured. I guess I'll just have to order them and hope for the best.

I`ve found that a set Conti 4000sII @25mm are very similar size to a set Vittoria Pave III @27mm when mounted on Mavic Open Pro rim so you could consider those as a different tyre
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #8 on: 12 March, 2015, 12:39:40 am »
I`ve found that a set Conti 4000sII @25mm are very similar size to a set Vittoria Pave III @27mm when mounted on Mavic Open Pro rim so you could consider those as a different tyre
I'm using Open Pros too. So 27mm was similar? Curious. I would like to try
- GP4000SII 28mm, or
- Compass 26mm or 28mm, whatever will fit - but they're a bit expensive if it doesn't work out.
- Just read a good review of Open Pave CG too

« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2015, 07:26:29 pm »
What did you get in the end?

I ran 700x28 Vittoria Rubinos the first two years with my Etape, then yesterday swapped out for Clement LGG 700x28 which are higher volume with a much taller profile. Had to let out one set of stays on the rear mudguard but that was easy and everything fits fine.
Rebecca

2013 custom Enigma Etape
2010 Surly Cross Check
1978 Puch Princess mixte
2012 bespoke Brompton S8L

velovoice.blogspot.co.uk/
@velovoice

« Reply #10 on: 15 October, 2015, 01:00:53 am »
What did you get in the end?

I ran 700x28 Vittoria Rubinos the first two years with my Etape, then yesterday swapped out for Clement LGG 700x28 which are higher volume with a much taller profile. Had to let out one set of stays on the rear mudguard but that was easy and everything fits fine.
Good to know, thanks. I'm still running my 25mm GP4000Ss for now. I'm not riding enough to wear them out quickly... still tempted to try the Compass.

« Reply #11 on: 09 March, 2016, 10:40:14 am »
I finally got some Grand Bois Cerf Blue (26mm) tyres to try on the Etape. The newer Compass ones are extremely expensive to get to Australia, around $250 a pair, compared to $150 for the Cerf Blues, or $120 for GP4000s.

Anyway, there's tons of room to spare around the 26mm, at least without the fenders on (I don't use them). Could go to the 28mm, perhaps 30mm comfortably. Good to know for next time. Let's hope these don't wear out too quickly though.

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #12 on: 11 March, 2016, 01:31:13 pm »
I'm running 700c Schwalbe Marathon plus 30s with full mudguards. The tricky bit is fitting the wheel in the dropouts - tyre needs to be soft to squeeze in. But once in, its runs freely. But muck build-up inside the muddies causes tyre-rub (I've quite narrow muddies @35mm wide).

That said, after Easter, I'll be back to Gatorskin 28s rear, which I've ridden with for years.

When I had the bike supplied, it was "customised" for me by Enigma and specced for 25fr/28r with full length muddies, for audax use.

NOTE: I've had the rear triangle rebuilt by Enigma, under warranty, after a crack developed at the custom-fit disc brake drop-out. I suspect the replacement rear triangle rebuild had forgotten my original spec so it's a bit tighter clearance now and not the 135mm O/D axle/disc-hub width as intended. So, 700c x28 wheel  fitting is now tighter (at full pressure) and 700c x30mm are a phaff to fit. I don't think I can run to 700x32 with mudguards on it. But the BB/chainstay gap looks like it could just about accept a 32mm tyre between the stays if the wheel runs dead true and the mudguard edges were trimmed off?

So, not all Etapes might be equal. And the best way to find out is to try someone's wheel/tyre (before buying wider tyres).  :thumbsup:
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #13 on: 13 March, 2016, 07:44:41 pm »
http://www.enigmabikes.com/collections/versatility/products/etape-caliper

Says that it uses 49mm calipers. Experience says that the frame will take 28mm, but with guards you will have to run 23mm. In theory you can run 25mm tyres, but in practice this rubs the guards.  would like to know the forks that are being used for 28mm with guards as this requires deep drop brakes and the forks on the web site will fit these, but you will be setting the distance to 49mm.

Last year I did LEJOG with a friend who had 23mm and guards with the brakes maxed out for distance. Every time we rode over a rode with recently laid chips they got wedged between the guards and tyres. IMHO there is just not enough room between the tyre and the guard with 49mm brakes - but I am sure someone will come and say it is fine for them. This tells us it is boarder line at best.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #14 on: 13 March, 2016, 08:55:02 pm »
Having three friend with Enigma Etapes and having seen their absolute phobia over any gritty muddy surface riding due to close guard clearance is why I didn't buy an Enigma. For the supposed role for that bike it is a serious design flaw coming from a company who should know UK road conditions.

« Reply #15 on: 14 March, 2016, 01:02:33 pm »
I have an Etape & don't have a phobia of gritty muddy surfaces. I ride around South Oxfordshire in winter, which would be a complete no-no if I was scared of a bit of muck & grit. I'm not scared because I don't have a problem. I don't ride off-road on it  [except short links between paved roads or tracks], even the sort of tracks where I'd happily ride a proper tourer (summat that'd take 32s with room to spare, like the Orbit I used to have), but that's mostly to do with comfort.

http://www.enigmabikes.com/collections/versatility/products/etape-caliper

Says that it uses 49mm calipers. Experience says that the frame will take 28mm, but with guards you will have to run 23mm. In theory you can run 25mm tyres, but in practice this rubs the guards.

Last year I did LEJOG with a friend who had 23mm and guards with the brakes maxed out for distance. Every time we rode over a rode with recently laid chips they got wedged between the guards and tyres. IMHO there is just not enough room between the tyre and the guard with 49mm brakes - but I am sure someone will come and say it is fine for them.
Not in my experience. As I said, I use 25 mm tyres (currently Conti Gator Hardshell). I don't get any rubbing. There's more room than on my old Roberts, which was custom-built, supposedly to take at least 28mm tyres & guards (it didn't - I was pissed-off with Chas).

I often ride a stretch of NCN 23 which the landowners insist on gravelling. I don't recall ever having anything stuck. Ditto with riding over newly laid chippings.

My Etape was made at the end of 2008. Standard frame, custom forks because the standard carbon forks didn't allow enough toe clearance.

Is there a lack of clearance on the standard carbon fork? Has there been a change since Enigma switched frame building to England from Taiwan?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #16 on: 22 August, 2016, 06:05:46 am »
I finally got some Grand Bois Cerf Blue (26mm) tyres to try on the Etape. The newer Compass ones are extremely expensive to get to Australia, around $250 a pair, compared to $150 for the Cerf Blues, or $120 for GP4000s.

Anyway, there's tons of room to spare around the 26mm, at least without the fenders on (I don't use them). Could go to the 28mm, perhaps 30mm comfortably. Good to know for next time. Let's hope these don't wear out too quickly though.
So the Cerf Blue turned out to be disappointing. Within 2000km they had developed a nice lump, lots of cuts, etc. Back to Continental for me.

Now running GP4000 SII 28mm. They fit fine without mudguards although they are a bit difficult to fit through the calipers when inflated. My Etape is from 2012, before the disc model was available unfortunately.

« Reply #17 on: 22 August, 2016, 12:57:07 pm »
What brakes do you have? I can't get 25mm tyres through mine (Centaur) inflated if I forget the quick release, but with it released they'll go through.

I expect that Enigma would probably be happy to supply a bike with non-standard calipers if asked, though I don't know how that would work out down there. If they're shipped to dealers complete & sold as ready-built bikes then it'd have to be worked out with the dealer, though in my experience good bike shops usually accommodate such requests.

Mine was supposed to be standard Campagnolo (they offered Campag or Shimano builds back then), but I was offered a couple of component choices anyway, & it arrived with a Chorus instead of Centaur rear derailleur. I asked about that, & they said they had one 2008 Chorus left over with no groupset for it to go with, so I got it. But that was dealing direct with Enigma, including a personal visit, which isn't exactly practical for those living a lot further away.

« Reply #18 on: 22 August, 2016, 11:37:19 pm »
What brakes do you have? I can't get 25mm tyres through mine (Centaur) inflated if I forget the quick release, but with it released they'll go through.
I have Shimano 6700.

My etape was slightly custom (custom paint, plus Di2 and some other customisations) back at the start of 2013. I ordered it direct from Enigma sight unseen. No complaints!