Author Topic: Good, cheapish tablet - any recommendations?  (Read 1283 times)

Good, cheapish tablet - any recommendations?
« on: 02 September, 2016, 10:57:50 pm »
I'm looking at getting a decent tablet for home use. Internet use but also for a young child to use. At his nursery they make a big deal about using tablets for some reason. They have apps with games that need a tablet to use. They have iPads but I'm opposed to anything Apple on ideological grounds (I don't like how they work, I'm Android or Windows user and to me ios doesn't work as well perversely).

I don't know why use of tablets is considered a key skill for pre-school kids but apparently it is so we're thinking of getting one. I've got the original.nexus 7 but since the last os upgrade came along it.became incredibly.slow. it's completely unusable now. Plus I'd prefer something bigger than 7".

So anything stand out as a good deal right now?

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
Re: Good, cheapish tablet - any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 02 September, 2016, 11:44:19 pm »
Hi

I've recently purchased a Lenovo 10inch (tab2 I think) from John Lewis but price matched with Argos.  Seems to work perfectly for me and I felt very affordable.  It gets good Which reviews.

Interesting comment re Nexus 7 (1st generation) in that I found exactly the same issue after upgrade and persevered for as long as possible before moving to the Lenovo. I've just parted company with the Nexus for the princely sum of £27 when it's probably worth 27p taking into account new speed.  Has made me very cautious to accept upgrades in future.

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #2 on: 02 September, 2016, 11:55:48 pm »
There's a few on offer at Argos, this might be the one I've got

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/4648774.htm

Andrew

« Reply #3 on: 03 September, 2016, 10:05:49 am »
I've got the original.nexus 7 but since the last os upgrade came along it.became incredibly.slow. it's completely unusable now. Plus I'd prefer something bigger than 7".

An aside that might save you money. Not that I'm trying to talk you out of buying a new gadget  ;) which, let's face it, must be one of life's more satisfying activities.

Have you tried the PureNexus ROM? I run it on my 2012 Nexus 7 and find it more than acceptable. It's Marshmellow based and the developer only last month stopped developing the ROM so it's patched up to the latest android security level. Give it a go, you might just find it does what you want.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7/development/unofficial-pure-nexus-project-layers-t3243943