Author Topic: Anyone near Tring?  (Read 2290 times)

onyerleft!

Anyone near Tring?
« on: 06 November, 2008, 01:13:52 pm »
Hi all,

I found out about yacf after chatting to two chaps at Tring station a few weeks back. I was moaning about the lack of cycling clubs in the local area, and they said to try yacf cos it's possible to find out about riders that are going out and when. Problem is, I've scoured this website to find a category that fits with that but can't. So, could someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

oyl.

Re: Noobie q: sorting out local rides
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2008, 01:21:24 pm »
Hello and welcome!
Why don't you post something in Rides&Touring and let people know where you are, what sort of riding you're looking for etc. You might find people can suggest a club or a ride that's already arranged. Or you might even start a new one yourself  :thumbsup:

Then there's audax. Thought about going silly distances all over the country, sleeping in bus shelters and living off weak orange squash and cake? Audax is for you! (Only half kidding. Check out the audax board too).

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Re: Noobie q: sorting out local rides
« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2008, 01:24:05 pm »
It may seem obvious but have you checked the calendar on the front page of this site? It lists rides organised, largely by YACF.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Anyone near Tring?
« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2008, 08:56:29 pm »
Rides and Touring board?

I've changed the title of the post to attract more interest.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2008, 09:18:03 pm »
If it's cycling clubs you want here's a few in that area, I guess the closest to Tring would be:

Hemel Hempstead
http://www.hemelcycling.org.uk/default.aspx

Club rides each Sunday from Hemel station, faster training rides Saturday.

There's also

Luton
http://www.ccluton.com/

Verulam (St Albans)
http://www.verulamcc.org.uk/

« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2008, 09:38:24 pm »
Hi all,

I found out about yacf after chatting to two chaps at Tring station a few weeks back. I was moaning about the lack of cycling clubs in the local area, and they said to try yacf cos it's possible to find out about riders that are going out and when. Problem is, I've scoured this website to find a category that fits with that but can't. So, could someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

oyl.

I wonder if they were on my, "Red Kites..." ride?

I can't think of any cycling clubs in Tring or Aylesbury. Not sure if there are any or not. There's High Wycombe CC. I'm in the North Bucks Road Club based in Milton Keynes but it's more time trialing and road racing than social stuff. I rarely ride with them. CTC will be worth investigating for their local DA rides. The Western section of the Herts DA, based around Hemel Hempstead is probably still going. Or there's the very popular South Bucks DA. Hemel Hempstead cycling club is another racing club. I don't know if they do much touring.

I could be up for a ride around the Chilterns in the last weekend of November if you want to make a YACF day of it.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2008, 09:49:29 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks,

oyl.

I wonder if they were on my, "Red Kites..." ride?

Ha ha - that was myself & road-runner, luring another unsuspecting cyclist into the fold.   :demon:

We'd run through a few of the above clubs with onyerleft, but I guess we'll have do some more yacf rides from Tring. 

Inspired by your ride TG, I'm currently planning a route which may include going up the Crong, but also lots of historical bits and also, especially for wowbagger, a devious & dastardly CIA plot.  :o

Further details to follow, in the coming weeks.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #7 on: 07 November, 2008, 07:30:36 pm »

Inspired by your ride TG, I'm currently planning a route which may include going up the Crong, but also lots of historical bits and also, especially for wowbagger, a devious & dastardly CIA plot.  :o

Further details to follow, in the coming weeks.

I was going to start the Red Kites ride by going up the Crong, until Regulator showed an interest.
When are you planning on doing the Tring ride? I can only really do the last weekend of November, or maybe the first weekend of December.
It'd be good to do a few mpre hills this time instead of the B4009.
The autumnal scenery should be very good in late November.

If you're not planning on riding that weekend, anyone fancy a freelance ride around the Chilterns on the last weekend of November?

« Reply #8 on: 07 November, 2008, 07:46:08 pm »
Right.
Over to Rides and Touring then...