Author Topic: Looking for information/anecdotes on Jan Mertens and the 1928 TdeF  (Read 615 times)

Can anyone help with any information on Jan Mertens and the 1928 tour (he came 4th and Nicolas Frantz won that year).  Books or magazine articles or whatever.  It's for a project that I could tell you about on a PM rather that publicly.

My library is lacking in these areas.

Thanks

Re: Looking for information/anecdotes on Jan Mertens and the 1928 TdeF
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2024, 12:20:29 am »
Have you delved into Ned Boulting's book  1923 about another Belgie a few years earlier? I mention it as, aside from being an excellent read, there may be some cross over date wise. I read it pretty recently and dont remember specifically the mention of Jan M, but it was chock full of info and I have a head like a seive these days so its also possible he is tucked in there.
often lost.

« Reply #5 on: 30 May, 2024, 11:00:06 am »
Thanks Phil, we're aware of those.  I'll look out for that book Morbihan, don't think I've seen it.

« Reply #6 on: 30 May, 2024, 04:41:35 pm »
Had a look in the book a race for mad men an no mention. Not sure where you are in country but interbike schills in marks teybis run by a ex Belgian racer so may be worth a call and ask for Patrick I think his name is

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2024, 05:43:37 pm »
I've had a scan of reports in the British press for info on the 1928 tour, and there's precious little.  Mostly along the lines of 'aren't those foreigners crazy' with descriptions of what the race entails but no mention of riders. No mention of Mertens at all. Franz gets a brief mention, but only that he won the final stage but only the 2nd place rider overall (50 mins down) was within 3 hours of his overall time. The Australian participants get plenty of coverage, including Hubert Opperman, who came 18th. 3 of the 4 Australian starters finished "with grim determination and doggedness". There was also a Tour de France air race going on at the same time.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #8 on: 30 May, 2024, 06:00:03 pm »
How the Athletic News reported the Tour (and various time trials) on Monday 23 July 1928

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #9 on: 30 May, 2024, 06:16:11 pm »
And an eye-witness account from the Pyrenees by cycling writer "Kuklos"

Daily News (London) - Saturday 21 July 1928

« Reply #10 on: 30 May, 2024, 06:20:33 pm »
Since the TDF was to increase sales of l auto, have you looked at the online archive?

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k4632508q/f1.image.zoom

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #11 on: 30 May, 2024, 06:44:22 pm »
There are daily (as far as I can see) reports in the Australian press, concentrating naturally on the fortunes of the "Australian" team (one rider was from NZ)

https://trove.nla.gov.au/search/advanced/category/newspapers?keyword=opperman&date.from=1928-06-01&date.to=1928-10-31&sortBy=dateAsc&startPos=160

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #12 on: 30 May, 2024, 09:06:04 pm »
An Aussie whinge in the Sporting Globe (Melbourne) on 30th June 1928

« Reply #13 on: 31 May, 2024, 09:48:09 pm »
Excellent stuff everyone.  Most useful and interesting.