Author Topic: Dahon Tournado - or alternatives?  (Read 12392 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Dahon Tournado - or alternatives?
« on: 07 November, 2008, 12:17:18 pm »
I'm looking for a road bike I can take with me on my frequent trips away from UK. I'd prefer a 700c demountable rather than a small-wheeled folder. The Dahon Tournado seems ideal, but isn't cheap at £1699 ($2199 in the USA), though that includes a hard case. Availability seems to be an issue too - I can't actually find a UK stockist! An option might be, say, a Thorn Audax Mk3 with S&S couplings, but I'm sure there are others?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Dahon Tournado - or alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2008, 12:30:17 pm »
Tim

I know there is a UK stockist as I checked at the Bike Show - I had a quick lust over the Tournado as well.  I'll see if I can dig out the details.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 07 November, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »
I thought I'd just posted a longish response to this, but it seems to have got lost in the ether.

The Tournado is the same as the BreakAway, which has had excellent reviews.  I quite like them , though the Tournado I saw was in beige & brown - not my fave colours really.

If you wanna go the S&S route, don't feel you have to go with Thorn - there are much better builders who use them.  Roberts, I think, and Bob Jackson.
Getting there...

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #3 on: 07 November, 2008, 12:39:21 pm »
Ritchey Breakaway?

It isn't cheap either though.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

bikenerd

« Reply #4 on: 07 November, 2008, 12:40:52 pm »
Predictable reply from me:  How about a Moulton TSR or Esprit?  You should at least take one for a test ride.
Edit: Surly also do the Traveller's Check, which is a demountable Cross Check.  Not going to be the lightest bike in the world, but will be tough as old boots.

« Reply #5 on: 07 November, 2008, 12:44:47 pm »
Don't ask.

TimC

« Reply #6 on: 07 November, 2008, 12:52:51 pm »
Ritchey Breakaway?

It isn't cheap either though.

That may be a player - I could rebuild my winter bike on a Breakaway frame. £700 still ain't cheap, but better than £1700!!

Sorry, bikenerd, but I really don't want a small-wheeled bike. I do want a bike I can credit card tour with, or just go out for a quick (18+ avg) blat. The Tournado is very pretty (to my eyes), and would probably fit the bill ideally.

Clarion - I'll give Roberts and Jackson a look. I wasn't that impressed with what I seen of Thorn's frames.

Luke - I quite like that, but it's about £650 for the F&F plus £300 for the case! And duty on top of that... The Dahon and the Ritchey come with a hard case as standard.

« Reply #7 on: 07 November, 2008, 12:57:35 pm »
OT, I know, but a Dahon Speedo Pro or a Bike Friday (more expensive) would meet your requirements for credit card tours and speed and would be convenient. My Dahon serves similar purposes to your brief (other than the wheel size) and has taken me on nice routes including on hilly terrain. Check what Wooly did with his as well.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

TimC

« Reply #8 on: 07 November, 2008, 02:16:50 pm »
OK, s'official. I'm in love... Ritchey Breakaway Ti/Carbon

Someone put a lock on my credit card!! ;D

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #9 on: 07 November, 2008, 02:17:56 pm »
OK, s'official. I'm in love... Ritchey Breakaway Ti/Carbon

Someone put a lock on my credit card!! ;D

I can help with that... just send me your card details, pin number and billing address please. ;)
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #10 on: 07 November, 2008, 03:34:21 pm »
the breakaway is excellent, there's a pilot in the irregular sunday morning gang I go out with who takes one with him on long stay-overs and apparently it's been great.  He bought it in NY  and saved a few quid.

If they sold the steel cross break-away over here, I'd be tempted to get that so i could do road, touring or gentle trails on holidays.

I did see a tournado in the flesh at Clarion's LBS near Battersea.  Surprisingly unappealing in real life, I think it was the colour.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 07 November, 2008, 03:35:57 pm »
You're right.  I put it in the post that disappeared.  It's at Stratton Cycles on East Hill, Wandsworth (no longer my lbs :( )
Getting there...

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #12 on: 07 November, 2008, 03:50:47 pm »
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

TimC

« Reply #13 on: 07 November, 2008, 04:04:23 pm »
Thanks, Thor. Beautiful as it is, it probably doesn't fully meet my specs. Neither the steel frame nor the Ti one has mudguard or rack mounts. That's not important for the travel aspect, but I'd like it to earn its living at home by replacing my winter/Audax bike. Of course, I s'pose I could replace my Cannondale with the Ti framed bike. I'm not sure I could bear to part with it, though.

N+1, I know. ;D

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #14 on: 08 November, 2008, 05:41:32 pm »
The Tournado got a brief review in the November edition of Cycling Plus - only a one-pager but it was all very positive. According to the article it's only available in the UK via www.cyclemotion.co.uk
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #15 on: 09 November, 2008, 02:27:14 pm »
I like the breakaway idea but there has been some reports on the lower clamp breaking. So I don't think it's as good as the Sandsmachine S&S system for loaded touring!

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

TimC

« Reply #16 on: 09 November, 2008, 04:56:10 pm »
I'm sure it's not. That said, the more research I do, the more I like the Ritchey Ti/Carbon. I'd just have to hire a van to carry the crap!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 10 November, 2008, 03:04:56 am »
Ritchey developed the Breakaway system, so none of his bikes use S&S couplers.  It is lighter to carry a spare Breakaway clamp than to use S&S coupling.

I've had an S&S bike since 1999 (main bike) but would buy a Tournado otherwise, despite the uninspiring colour scheme.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

TimC

« Reply #18 on: 24 November, 2008, 06:15:27 pm »
I'm sure it's not. That said, the more research I do, the more I like the Ritchey Ti/Carbon. I'd just have to hire a van to carry the crap!

Ok. I have a van and I'm selling the crap! I've been seduced; I've bought the Ti Ritchey - and got it for substantially less than it's available for in the US, which is something of a coup! :thumbsup:

« Reply #19 on: 24 November, 2008, 08:04:36 pm »
good work!  Might I be so bold as to ask where? I still like the look of the cross version..

« Reply #20 on: 24 November, 2008, 08:09:19 pm »
I've bought the Ti Ritchey

Very nice! Hope you do a review - v interesting machine  :)

TimC

« Reply #21 on: 25 November, 2008, 11:43:16 am »
good work!  Might I be so bold as to ask where? I still like the look of the cross version..

Wiggle. £1500 and a bit.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #22 on: 25 November, 2008, 11:59:38 am »
Niiice.
Getting there...