Author Topic: Running up the central heating.  (Read 1685 times)

Running up the central heating.
« on: 06 October, 2022, 04:45:53 pm »
Whilst it is still quite mild mllePB suggested that we run up the gas central heating to check it before the rush of emergency callouts proliferate. 

After the visit a few weeks back from the engineer when the hot water was not working, the engineer gave it a check and clean whilst here.  I am quietly confident that it will work just fine.  I have just fired it up ...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Running up the central heating.
« Reply #1 on: 06 October, 2022, 05:22:05 pm »
Whilst it is still quite mild mllePB suggested that we run up the gas central heating to check it before the rush of emergency callouts proliferate. 

After the visit a few weeks back from the engineer when the hot water was not working, the engineer gave it a check and clean whilst here.  I am quietly confident that it will work just fine.  I have just fired it up ...

Mrs robgul suggested the very same process today - especially as I installed a couple of Hive TRVs yesterday to create "a timed zone" in a room we only use in the evening* . . . I may give in tomorrow and put the CH on for an hour, just the hour mind you . . . still weeks away for heating to be on!  [I've already had to deal with her unauthorised use of the gas fireplace this week  ;D ;D]

* another Hive TRV worked fine last winter in the same way to restrict heat to two daily sessions in one of the bedrooms, just need to keep the door shut during the day.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2022, 05:27:22 pm »
Is this like a flagpole?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #3 on: 06 October, 2022, 05:37:05 pm »
I have test fired the rather mature oil burner already, found I needed to build a new wick for the old beastie (glass fibre and stainless steel to replace the cloth and mild steel original parts). The machine is 52+ years old. Most spares became unavailable 30 years ago, I had a copy of a knackered key part handmade from sheet metal 25 years ago in a vehicle prototyping workshop.

Meanwhile I have just condemned a neighbours relatively modern gas boiler - couldn't undo the remains of some screws/bolts (couldn't identify them due to extensive corrosion, there are that bad) to change an O ring.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4 on: 06 October, 2022, 07:05:28 pm »
Still waiting for a repair on mine. Reported to Landlord early August. Heating doesn't work unless water is turned on. The thermostat controls fuck all. We get no hot water unless we use the immersion or boil a kettle.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: 06 October, 2022, 07:31:04 pm »
The machine is 52+ years old.

Excellent!

I test fired ours last week after I changed a stuck radiator valve (while Mrs Snake was away). Water flowed, gas burned, off it went.

I am confident.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #6 on: 06 October, 2022, 07:33:56 pm »
It all worked which was much as I expected.  I hope that I haven't jinxed it now ...  🤔

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 06 October, 2022, 07:45:56 pm »
Still waiting for a repair on mine. Reported to Landlord early August.

See, that's why I was recommending people test their heating at the end of August.  You might be perfectly comfortable for the following six weeks, but all the heating engineers will be busy dealing with the people who aren't, and who knows how long it takes to get parts these days.

« Reply #8 on: 06 October, 2022, 08:18:36 pm »
After last winter's experience with storm Arwen, I've just started nagging my husband to run the backup generator to check it will work when needed.

« Reply #9 on: 06 October, 2022, 08:21:03 pm »
Still waiting for a repair on mine. Reported to Landlord early August. Heating doesn't work unless water is turned on. The thermostat controls fuck all. We get no hot water unless we use the immersion or boil a kettle.
3 way valve needs new head or syncro motor is kaput?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: 06 October, 2022, 08:33:35 pm »

If that's the case, the valve can usually be operated by hand

« Reply #11 on: 06 October, 2022, 10:08:37 pm »
Until I found a round tuit I just slid the manual lever across (it will latch if pressed 90° at end point) you should hear the microswitch click, boiler fire, pump run. I then just turned power to system off at the switched fuse to operate the system manually. Only disadvantages is that the valve will open manually to mid position so 50:50 hot water and heating, therefore cylinder will be dangerously hot probably inside the hour if circuit water is set to cremate as it usually is.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #12 on: 06 October, 2022, 10:17:30 pm »

Aye but try to get the landlord to get someone out to fix it  >:(

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #13 on: 11 October, 2022, 04:41:55 pm »

Do you have a current valid gas safety check.  Write to your landlord and say that unless it is fixed, you will stop paying the rent until it is fixed.

« Reply #14 on: 11 October, 2022, 05:02:23 pm »
I have test fired the rather mature oil burner already, found I needed to build a new wick for the old beastie (glass fibre and stainless steel to replace the cloth and mild steel original parts). The machine is 52+ years old. Most spares became unavailable 30 years ago, I had a copy of a knackered key part handmade from sheet metal 25 years ago in a vehicle prototyping workshop.

Meanwhile I have just condemned a neighbours relatively modern gas boiler - couldn't undo the remains of some screws/bolts (couldn't identify them due to extensive corrosion, there are that bad) to change an O ring.

I've had success getting parts for old oil burners from Irish companies. Heating Parts Warehouse were particularly good.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #15 on: 11 October, 2022, 07:51:19 pm »
Fired mine up last week to find the rad in the living room doesn't get hot now. I assume it just needs flushing out, but it would also be a good idea to get a boiler service at the same time. I have managed to locate 1 (one) single eberspacher engineer, and (of course) he is fully booked for the next two months.

Now stocked up with smokeless coal at HOW MUCH?? a bag. More than double what it was in January.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #16 on: 15 October, 2022, 08:04:35 am »

Classic microswitch failure symptoms

2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 13 November, 2022, 07:22:51 am »
My mum's new house has had first fix electrics and plumbing done.  All the CH piping is plastic flexible shit buried in the walls, and the water uses pushfit and plastic too.  Unlikely to cause her trouble as she's alnost 77 but, in 20-30 years' time, I dread to think.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 13 November, 2022, 12:02:23 pm »
Gasman was telling me that's standard now.

My take on it is that it's the burying that's the issue.  Modern copper pipe is thin enough to corrode over that sort of timescale.