Author Topic: Headlight recommendations please  (Read 2151 times)

Tiger

Headlight recommendations please
« on: 08 December, 2008, 01:14:34 pm »
I use solidlights on the recumbent and an auxiliary battery headlight. Last night on the dark lanes I found dynamo going too dim on slow ups - and the headlight not quite poerful enough. What is the best Headlight raygun out there with adjustable beam - focus would be good too. Ideally not with battery pack but built in. Thanks!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Headlight recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 08 December, 2008, 01:46:29 pm »
I think this

http://www.supernova-lights.com/shop/show_product.php?products_id=107

Is currently the most powerful generator bike light in the world

Seems a bit expensive for something "a bit better" than a solidlight

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 08 December, 2008, 01:48:05 pm »
You mean a head-torch, wot you strap to your bonce, Tiger?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

cc93

« Reply #3 on: 08 December, 2008, 01:59:58 pm »
If the Fenix lock-block will fit to your helmet (assuming you use one) then a tactical flashlight like the Fenix or this works very well.

(you can then throw the Solidlights away  :-\)

Tiger

« Reply #4 on: 08 December, 2008, 02:52:41 pm »
You mean a head-torch, wot you strap to your bonce, Tiger?

Precisely. Front mounted headband as I don't use a helmet. and integral batteries so as not to interfere with the headrest.
The Black Diamond and Petzl ones in the camping stores are about the same as what I have now - I want megapower on my head for when the dyanmo is weak (when I am grunting up an icy narrow lane and it is pitch dark).
I am hoping there is a secret weapon type of light out there that only special forces or spetznatz commandos normally get. I want one of those.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 08 December, 2008, 03:47:54 pm »
The Silva ones used to be the best you could get, but these days it moves so fast that there are new models all the time.

Hope are bringing out a headtorch based on their Hope 1 light - that should be good.  My feeling is that you can't really beat a Fenix mounted on yer hat - that's bright as hell.

If you want the absolute top-banana kit, though - join CPF and ask there.  You could probably build your own a lot cheaper than something available commercially.  Be warned, though.  Powerful lighting gets an expensive obsession...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Tiger

« Reply #6 on: 08 December, 2008, 05:29:56 pm »
The Silva ones used to be the best you could get, but these days it moves so fast that there are new models all the time.

Hope are bringing out a headtorch based on their Hope 1 light - that should be good.  My feeling is that you can't really beat a Fenix mounted on yer hat - that's bright as hell.

If you want the absolute top-banana kit, though - join CPF and ask there.  You could probably build your own a lot cheaper than something available commercially.  Be warned, though.  Powerful lighting gets an expensive obsession...

It's not an obsession it is a hobby. Although the difference is not actually noticeable.

« Reply #7 on: 08 December, 2008, 05:35:50 pm »
I'm really ridiculously happy with the Schmidt Edulux I've just fitted to the Brompton. The light is nice and bright if the wheels are turning at all, and it's not bad on the standlight only either. It is also very shiney.

« Reply #8 on: 08 December, 2008, 09:36:26 pm »
Integral batteries make it awkward.
Petzl Tikka XP: spot beam with diffuser, 35 lumen on boost, 3 lower levels
Zebralight H30 or H50: wide-angle beam, 80/66 lumen on high.

Or there's stuff from Dealextreme, which is often a case of order and see what you get.
eg 3xAAA 3W/1W, 100 lumen rechargeable
According to the reviews that get posted, a lot of these lights aren't nearly as bright as the specs would have you believe.

If a torch side-mounted on a headband will do, the Fenix E20 is pretty bright (109 lumen and focusable.

If you would accept a remote battery pack (in a pocket) there is much more choice, with a Petzl Myo XP belt the most obvious, going all the way up to a Lupine Betty with small battery and headmount kit.