Author Topic: BBC 4 to close down  (Read 798 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
BBC 4 to close down
« on: 27 May, 2022, 10:23:16 am »
This is dreadful news.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/may/26/bbc-announces-raft-of-closures-cbbc-four-online-only

A cost cutting measure.   So why did they splurge out on bringing back the appalling BBC 3?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Re: BBC 4 to close down
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2022, 11:52:38 am »
I assume you meant BBC3.  But yes, a bit diappointing, but the habit of online "TV" consumption is rising inexorably, like to rise in use of smartphones.  And let be honest, the amount of new content (domestically produced) on BBC4 has been falling dramatically.  For a good while we've only watched it (and we never do that "live", always recorded) for the foreign drama.  Unless the BBC can supplememt it's licence income with advertising (like French TV channels do) it'll continue to shrink.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2022, 12:44:13 pm »
I assume you meant BBC3. 

Yes I did mean BBC 3 in the last sentence.  Thanks.  Post modified.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2022, 01:35:22 pm »
To be fair online only is how my kids watch CBBC/CBeebies and how we watch BBC4 already.  I don't think we are in the minority. 
BBC could scrap BBC2 and 3 while they're at it and just have BBCOlds for those who watch tv in real time without iPlayer and then stick the rest online only.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2022, 04:38:18 pm »
This is dreadful news.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/may/26/bbc-announces-raft-of-closures-cbbc-four-online-only

A cost cutting measure.   So why did they splurge out on bringing back the appalling BBC 3?

Bizarrely BBC3 has fewer viewers than BBC4 but BBC3 stays ....
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.