Author Topic: London Lockdown 160 - Group DIY Perm - Fri.25.03.22 - 10pm start  (Read 3105 times)

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
Date and Location

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022
Distance: 160 km (100 miles for the uninitiated)
Climb: 1,086m (flat)
Start Time: 22:00 (late)
Starting from: [REVISED 09/03/2022] Victoria Station car park, London (meet opposite bike racks at car park entrance to Victoria Place mall - see Google Street view)

Route

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38655094

TLDR

Group DIY night ride around London.  Starts at 10pm from Victoria Station (for pre-ride food, the 2nd floor McDonalds closes at 11).  Post-ride brekky at Victoria Station Wetherspoons where I can confirm the taps turn on at 8am (opens at 6).  A great ride to acclimatise to cold night riding, test lights/gear, all safe in the warmth of the city.  This is an X-rated event - i.e. no manned controls.

Genesis

In late March 2020 we went lockies.  Four weeks later the PM would announce “we are past the peak” of the pandemic.  This ride seeks to replicate what it was like for the exercise-inclined during these unprecedented times.  A bit weird, quiet streets, circuitous.  Staying local was the (legal) order of the day.  Non-essential travel was shamed.  Hair grew long.  We all know this so why am I saying it?  Because it's sentimental!!

Accepting the guilt that if I rode outside the M25 I could be “hit by a car and take an ambulance from someone who needed it”, I set about creating and sourcing local London routes.  If I were hit by a car locally, at least I could walk myself to a nearby hospital, the thinking went, or maybe the driver would take me if I were nice.  The London Fixed Beers missions were a particular highlight for me—giving riders a curated tour of London’s boroughs while taking advantage of the empty streets (but for the ominous queues starting to form outside supermarkets).

I rode the first version of this “strava art” in April 2020, and one year later extended the route with the needle in commemoration of the vaccine.  Ironically, as I rode down the Mall while tracing “the needle”, I went right through an anti-vaccine march.

Touring London’s boroughs on empty streets turned out to be actually quite nice.  But daylight scenes reminiscent of Danny Boyle’s 28 Days Later are unlikely—though not impossible—to return this year, and I don’t want to lose half a lung riding 160 km through London traffic, so this year I’m doing the ride at night.

Fee

There is no fee but I ask that you make a minimum £6 donation to the Lewisham Bank of Things.  An admirable project some of you may have seen on the news in recent weeks.

“The Bank of Things is a new Young Mayors Project working in partnership with Lewisham Local aimed at Young People aged 11 to 25 living in Lewisham. Former Young Mayors have used their budgets to develop the Bank of Things to address the issue of poverty and lack of resources for young people in the borough. We now supply everyday necessities to any young person facing hardship living in Lewisham.” - Lewisham Bank of Things

Upon donation, please message me at “ kowalskimark [at] gmail [dot] com ” to inform me of your intention to ride.

Finish

I would appreciate if you confirm back to me you finished (Strava/Komoot/ebrevet).  I won’t be publishing a list of finishers anywhere but I will record you as having completed it for my own records.  If the ride is popular enough, the idea would be to turn it into an annual Calendar event.

Riding in London

Be safe, bring a decent lock or bring your own food.  Let me know your average speed and I can try and match people in groups.  Though the Friday night streets of London may provide plenty of company!

Group DIY Registration

This ride has been registered as a DIYSE Group Perm with myself as organiser. Please use the AUK Entry Form for DIY Perms with MANDATORY routes, select Paul Stewart as organiser, and set the start and 1st/last control as 'DIYSE13609' (150 km distance). The route details will then be copied from my Perm registration.

The RidewithGPS Track has been registered for this GPS/DIY Perm detailing the route to be followed. It is expected that you will follow and complete the track as closely as possible. Failure to complete the track may result in your brevet not being validated. If you find that you are required to divert from the track or take an alternate route because of road closures or other conditions, please provide details when you submit your track for validation.

The route controls are : Victoria Station McD’s, Sydenham McD's, Bow McD's, Holloway McD's, Victoria Station Weatherspoons

Haven't I seen this post before?

The mod moved it to a different sub.  Consider this a rebellion.

Re: London Lockdown 160 - Group DIY Perm - Fri.25.03.22 - 10pm start
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2022, 10:58:19 pm »
Mark,
Thanks for getting this sorted as a DIY. Hope to see you on the day along the route and certainly at Victoria at the finish, though you could have chosen a classier place!

markldn

« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2022, 01:05:08 am »
though you could have chosen a classier place!

Can an 8am beer be classy in any establishment???  The alternative is road beers!  8)

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2022, 08:58:23 am »
I'm in! I love returning to London after spending years there in early adulthood. This will explore some uncharted territory for me as well as visiting a few of my old haunts. Would prefer to ride in a group if possible but happy to go it alone if necessary.

I've splashed out on a First Class return journey back to Evesham (for an extra fiver) to ensure I can sleep in comfort. Afraid I might end up in Hereford though.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Notfromrugby

« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2022, 10:28:12 am »
WHat a great idea!

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2022, 10:34:50 am »
That looks absolutely fantastic. 

Hats off for putting in the thought & effort on this.   :thumbsup:

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2022, 08:53:00 pm »
Looks completely bonkers  :thumbsup:

I may well come along, if I am not put off night riding by the previous Friday night's ride to Southend. It would be my first validated ride since last summer  :-[
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #7 on: 03 March, 2022, 02:06:20 pm »
Moving things around to do this! Fantastci idea!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2022, 07:34:51 pm »
This looks fantastic! Had a proper look after I saw you on Saturday. Despite not being a GPS user, I'd be very tempted to tag along with a 'carer'! But I'm already booked, sadly - Chief's Curry and Camping on that Friday night.

Well done markldn and good luck with this everyone.  :thumbsup:

markldn

« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2022, 03:06:30 pm »
Modification to START meeting point: to accommodate a start that does not require us to congregate inside the station I have changed the start location on RidewithGPS to the car park at the rear of Victoria Station.  Google Street view here.  You then have the choice to wait inside the doors or stand outside  :thumbsup:

markldn

« Reply #10 on: 09 March, 2022, 03:13:44 pm »
Thanks everyone for your support!  It's a bit different to your standard audax and I hope that appeals!  Excited to hear chatter of legendary organisers and Audax UK board members considering joining.  Tomsk - you'd be referenced here but I completely appreciate the desire for a good curry over a McD's to start a ride  ;)

Carers available (me) for those who don't use GPS.  I will also be pacing those who wish to ride in a group.

« Reply #11 on: 17 March, 2022, 09:19:28 pm »
Hi,
I plan to do the event, but i) I really need to finish by 06:00*, and ii) don't have a GPS. Is there anyone riding who would be willing to guide me?
* end time due to wanting to do another audax from Ruslip at 08:00. My plans might change during the ride! ;-)

markldn

« Reply #12 on: 21 March, 2022, 09:37:17 pm »
Did a route check the other weekend and have cleaned up some of the turns and tried to delete as many of the unnecessary cues that RWGPS produces.  There is no need to resubmit your track for validating.

Five riders confirmed on the night with some maybes.  Let's turn those maybes into babies.

« Reply #13 on: 27 March, 2022, 04:21:13 pm »
Mark - great to meet you on the ride on Friday. I thought it was an excellent experience - seeing a lot of London, without too much traffic. Thanks for planning such a great route and for organising the group ride.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #14 on: 28 March, 2022, 07:31:48 pm »
Mark - great to meet you on the ride on Friday. I thought it was an excellent experience - seeing a lot of London, without too much traffic. Thanks for planning such a great route and for organising the group ride.
Echo that - a truly memorable ride. Loved every minute, and thanks to every one of you for helping me round.

markldn

« Reply #15 on: 31 October, 2022, 08:43:43 pm »
Preliminarily setting a couple dates for this...

London Lockdown 160 - Group DIY Perm - either Fri.17.03.23 or Fri.24.03.23 - 10pm start

17 March allows a day recovery to those riding Gently Bentley on the Sunday
24 March gives a week more for spring to arrive but competes with Steam Ride at 08:15 Saturday morning from Ruislip (Bryn - didn't you go on to ride this after 2022??)

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #16 on: 01 November, 2022, 08:36:07 am »
Definitely hoping to come back for another tour of the capital but sadly we're away on the 24th. It was FAB last year, hopefully we can tempt a few more riders to come along.

Don't organise the date around me though, Mark, see what other responses you get.

« Reply #17 on: 01 November, 2022, 11:49:08 am »
Might be up for this but not on 25th as entered an event in Lincolnshire the following day.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #18 on: 01 November, 2022, 11:58:13 am »
Is this an official Audax event though?

It's not a calendar event, it's a DIY Perm as it has to be mandatory route (or else there would be several hundred info controls!). Voluntary donation to charity and normal Perm entry fee.
You don't need to go through the rigmarole of submitting a route to the DIY Organiser, though. Mark had that all in hand last time with Paul Stewart's cooperation.