Author Topic: Low blood pressure  (Read 3568 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Low blood pressure
« on: 20 April, 2009, 07:20:36 pm »
I have just started participating in a research project. Nothing terribly sophisticated, just a collecting of data on peripheral vein patterns for use in human identification (like fingerprints).

As part ofthe process I had to do a 30 min CV workout (run on a treadmill) at nominally 60% effort, ie level 3. That did feel a bit soft..
I then had blood pressure, weight and height taken about 5 mins after finishing the workout. 'Resting' pulse was 87 so still very elevated after the exercise. Blood pressure was 117/59 which is apparently a bit on the low side, especially for someone of my build right after exercise.

Is it really that low and do I have to worry about it? I don't have a history of fainting etc. and my fatehr has hypertension.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Low blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2009, 07:26:08 pm »
I don't think there's very much to worry about aside from the risk you might get a bit of a headrush if you stand up quickly or feel a bit faint. Better to be low than high anyway.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

David Martin

« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2009, 07:26:52 pm »
I don't think there's very much to worry about aside from the risk you might get a bit of a headrush if you stand up quickly or feel a bit faint. Better to be low than high anyway.

Never had that problem. Might be something to do with my head not being too far from the ground even when upright..

..d

« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2009, 07:36:42 pm »
Unless you're getting any symptoms you don't need any treatment and it's nothing to worry about
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2009, 09:50:31 am »
Unless you're getting any symptoms you don't need any treatment and it's nothing to worry about

+1

Your brain seems adequately perfused by your accounts, so there's little to cause concern.

Maybe they expect Lardy Blokes (sorry) to have a higher blood pressure.
Maybe your cycling/ime trialling has increased the capacitance of your circulatiion.

Anyway, your circulatory system seems to work and it would be meddlesome to interfere.

If you were fainting/collapsing, the story would be different.

I do not think the pulse pressure is wide enough to suggest an incompetent aortic valve.

I take it you do not have syphilitic heart valve disease...  ;) ;) ;D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2009, 10:02:15 am »

It tends to annoy my GP that, as a fat smoker, I have relatively low blood pressure.   ;D

It runs in the family.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2009, 10:05:26 am »
If you're fit and healthy, then you will naturally have a lower than average blood pressure. Your heart will be strong, and able to pump more blood with each stroke. Your blood will be high in red blood cells and good at carrying oxygen. As a consequence, your resting heart rate will be low and the blood pressure won't be as high. This is not a problem - although you might occasionally get lightheaded standing up quickly.

At least, that's what I've always been told by doctors. :)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

David Martin

« Reply #7 on: 21 April, 2009, 10:14:05 am »

BMI in the obese range, I'm sure they expect me to have all the indicators of unwellness. Bit miffed that they took BP and RP straight after (within 5min) 30 mins reasonably intense exercise (HR at 75% theoretical max).
That will ahve skewed the figures a bit.

I am becoming more convinced that obesity is not a cause but a symptom of underlying lack of fitness.
The good bit was that my weight is still dropping slowly..

..d

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2009, 10:25:13 am »
Obesity is definitely a symptom of something else.

The human body is supreme at adaptation. Each of us is the way we are because that's our body's answer to the lifestyle we give it. Change that lifestyle, our body will adapt.

Within the limitations of your genetics of course...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 21 April, 2009, 10:29:59 am »
I remember going to Woolworth's with my grandmother who was in her mid 60s. We put a 3d coin in the slot and she weighed in at 14 stone (90 kg approx).
She lived on another 35 years...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #10 on: 21 April, 2009, 08:33:22 pm »
I think a lot of doctors still regard the BMI index as a strict requirement to aim for. 

A couple of years ago, my GP started to say I was overweight as my BMI was 26 and I should lose weight but then she shut up when she took my blood pressure and couldn't understand why my pulse was under 45. 

I think she even believed me when I said it was all muscle and not fat!  8)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein