Author Topic: Sherman’s Neck  (Read 2645 times)

Sherman’s Neck
« on: 31 January, 2023, 06:46:36 pm »
On long audax rides I get Shermans Neck, usually somewhere between 800k and 1000k.  On long rides I carry a light neck brace which works ok but not perfect.  I have a new bike with a slightly more relaxed geometry, which hopefully will help. Does anyone know of any exercises that might help, is it core or more specific?  Thanks. Dai

Re: Sherman’s Neck
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2023, 07:07:41 pm »
Can't answer specifically about Shermer’s neck, but a combination of regular Pilates classes and a 7-minute plank routine 3 x a week has cured me of all my previous neck problems. My initial motivation was the inability to do shoulder checks on the bike due to immobility and just general pain and discomfort.

One Pilates teacher I've been using for many years focuses quite a lot on the neck and there are a few exercises he works in that are specific to neck muscle development and mobility.  It's a commonly neglected muscle group!

I can now happily spend extended periods of up to 1 hour continuously on the tri bars.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2023, 07:40:22 pm »
Were it me I'd do two things. Firstly I'd check my saddle fore/aft position and angle to make sure I wasn't sliding my weight onto the bars. I'd ride in my normal position, then without changing anything see if I could float my hands off the bars without affecting riding balance. If you can't check saddle is level and investigate front of knee over pedal axle as a starting point for fore/aft position.

Then, I beast the fuck out of my core with pilates

« Reply #3 on: 05 February, 2023, 09:20:31 pm »
Planks for core strength. Lots of them.

Certainly check your position.

Also possibly raise your bars, wear the lightest headgear you can find, take breaks when you move to a less aggressive position every hour or so.

That's what I did and it didn't come back.

I wouldn't use a brace. If my neck muscles go I'll stop riding.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 06 February, 2023, 09:24:36 am »
I know where my 2014 dose came from: kyphosis that makes me stick my neck out like a tortoise at the best of times and near maximum flex when I'm down on the drops if I want to look straight ahead. That, and riding for 24 hours wearing a baseball cap under my helmet to keep the rain off my glogs - I had to keep my neck ricked right back to that I could see under the peak.  Got rid of the cap and never had Shermer's since.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 06 February, 2023, 08:36:52 pm »
It’s your neck that goes not your core. At least in my case in 2016, where it occurred from 1850km ish.  I did lots of swimming, plus neck stretching work in my recovery.  Then I also adjusted by position so neck was aligned as natural with back as much as possible when looking down road. If you are arching your neck to look forward you’re straining it, and it’s only a matter of time.  I also switched to shallower drops that came further back so I could switch between hoods and drops without changing that alignment. As above stretch off the bike and don’t skip time off the bike if you’re not on the time limit.

Since late 2019 I’m full time recumbent for anything long distance.  Which basically solved any discomfort issues I ever had.

« Reply #7 on: 06 February, 2023, 09:13:50 pm »
It’s your neck that goes not your core.

Like many bodily things, the core muscles and neck are linked.  That's why Pilates (ostensibly a "core" development program) works wonders for developing muscular neck strength and stability.  Same goes for plank.

As the OP was specifically asking about exercises to resolve their Shermer's Neck issues, those would be the two I'd start with. 

Of course, other things like bike fit come into play.

The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #8 on: 07 February, 2023, 08:06:15 pm »
Actually the other thing I did (which is not an exercise) was to switch to contact lenses and frameless glasses in place of my previous prescription glasses or sunglasses with frames.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 07 February, 2023, 08:26:55 pm »
Methinks varifocals a a pain in the neck for many...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 08 February, 2023, 01:14:59 am »
Shermer’s neck
As a matter of total irrelevance, Sherman's neck is a real thing. Not a cycling thing though:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman%27s_neckties
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 08 February, 2023, 01:19:30 am »
Shermer’s neck
As a matter of total irrelevance, Sherman's neck is a real thing. Not a cycling thing though:

And also nothing to do with craning to see out of your Little Tank, which is the mental image I was getting from the thread title, and am now compelled to share.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 08 February, 2023, 10:22:17 am »
Shermer’s neck

And also nothing to do with craning to see out of your Little Tank, which is the mental image I was getting from the thread title, and am now compelled to share.

Depends on how often you bang your head because you didn't lift the lid.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight