Author Topic: Dehumidifier recommendations  (Read 13054 times)

Re: Dehumidifier recommendations
« Reply #50 on: 10 December, 2022, 05:17:06 pm »
We have a Meaco.  Meacodry ABC 10 https://www.meaco.com/products/meaco-meacodry-dehumidifier-abc-range-10l which we have had for just over 3 years.  We use it in a large cupboard to dry clothes.  Straight from the washing machine into the cupboard on hangers and then left for 24 hours.  smallest dimples in there as well to raise temperature.  Set so that when humidity gets down to 40% it switches off.  After a wet ride shoes and jackets go straight in as well.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #51 on: 11 December, 2022, 04:20:58 pm »
In case anyone's interested here are the summaries from Which Meaco vs Ebac article:
Ebac:
Our verdict: Our surveys have found that while the brand is generally reliable, you're still more likely to experience a fault with an Ebac dehumidifer than other brands –18% of its dehumidifiers developed issues within seven years, which is the second worst for the brands in our rsurvey. Despite this, Ebac customers are reasonably happy, with its customer score of 79% placing it joint fourth out of the 13 brands we received data for. However, with an average test score of 58%, Ebac still trails far behind Meaco.

Meaco:
Our verdict: You can't do much better than buy one of the top-scoring Meaco models. A good number of owners are pleased with their purchase, too, with the brand securing the highest customer score among the 13 brands we received responses for in our survey. Not all their models are Best Buys, though, so it pays to do your research and check the individual reviews before buying.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #52 on: 11 December, 2022, 04:25:16 pm »

Has anyone found a nice heat recovery unit that can go on a 100mm vent duct?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #53 on: 13 December, 2022, 06:36:18 pm »

Has anyone found a nice heat recovery unit that can go on a 100mm vent duct?

J
Do you mean to replace a 100mm through-wall unit?  If so then no, they all involve a large wall wart. These have been around long enough for me to suspect they may be ok:
https://www.envirovent.com/products/heat-recovery-ventilation-mvhr/heatsava/
Or Vent Axia are reliable:
https://www.vent-axia.com/search/site/tempra
Neither are what you'd call unobtrusive.

There's a few such as Kair that fit a 150mm hole which is great if you have the tools to drill out an existing 100mm hole
https://www.kair.co.uk/product/kair-heat-recovery-room-ventilator/

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the below which is heat recovery and does utilise 100mm ducting but there a small-ish box to lose in a loft space:
https://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/vent-axia-370377-hr100r-single-room-heat-recovery-unit-2724-p.asp
I'll be fitting it in late Jan if you're interested.  Whole house units are not practical for piecemeal refurbs but I think I can strategically locate 3 of those around our house to cover a room or two each.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #54 on: 13 December, 2022, 06:48:38 pm »
<i>Marmite slave</i>

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #55 on: 13 December, 2022, 09:43:07 pm »

Thanks for the ideas. We're about to install a new cooker hood, it's currently setup as a recirc unit, but I was pondering the idea of dumping it outside, if I can recover the heat as much as possible. It has a 100mm output, so was thinking something I could plug direct between this unit and outdoors would be great.

Shall look at the links above.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

HectoJ

• 45 to go
« Reply #56 on: 18 December, 2022, 06:50:38 pm »
I have a dehumidifier purchased from Aldi back in 2017, still works to this day and sees quite a bit of use...

« Reply #57 on: 26 December, 2022, 10:14:32 am »
Since Martin Lewis recommended dehumidifiers = sold out everywhere.

Been trying to pick up another one - no cigar.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #58 on: 26 December, 2022, 12:28:47 pm »
We were on the waiting list with both Meaco and John Lewis.
Came back into stock twice at each place and both times we were too late-sold out in hours.
But Argos also stock it, and they don't do a waiting list, so the second time the other shops had sold out, we tried Argos, got what we wanted, and it was delivered within a day or so.
So I recommend going on the waiting list with John Lewis, then when the stock gets moving, promptly buy it at Argos!

PS very pleased with it -  Meaco Arete One 25l

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #59 on: 26 December, 2022, 05:38:56 pm »
So, our dehumidifier works well in our many-roomed house with the two of us, and occasionally a few more. But at the moment ,with five people for Christmas, condensation everywhere.  :demon:
It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #60 on: 26 December, 2022, 07:18:29 pm »
It's all that hot air :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #61 on: 26 December, 2022, 07:20:12 pm »
You clearly know Jaded all too well.  😉

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #62 on: 29 December, 2022, 07:06:23 am »
I've moved from Ebac to Meaco and they have been reliable for the last 6 years.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #63 on: 09 January, 2023, 09:48:28 am »
I get a lot of condensation downstairs lounge/ diner and in the bedroom. 

Would I need to get two and when would I run them - overnight? Would they not make a racket overnight or could I leave in the landing and hope that its enough?

« Reply #64 on: 09 January, 2023, 10:29:38 am »
Our biggest issue is our front room so mostly the machine lives in there throughout the late autumn to early spring.  I run it overnight when we feel the need and also for indoor clothes drying.

It is in the room below our bedroom but it never disturbs us.  We have had it in the adjacent bedroom occasionally and that didn't disturb us either.

I'm not convinced that one could cope with a whole house, even a small one on it's own.

« Reply #65 on: 09 January, 2023, 10:32:12 am »
We are trying to acquire a dehumidifier, then intend on adding a socket to the upstairs bathroom. It is large enough that a socket can be more than 3m clear of bath and shower.

That will be really useful for drying various clothes, wetsuits etc.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #66 on: 09 January, 2023, 10:35:12 am »
Our biggest issue is our front room so mostly the machine lives in there throughout the late autumn to early spring.  I run it overnight when we feel the need and also for indoor clothes drying.

It is in the room below our bedroom but it never disturbs us.  We have had it in the adjacent bedroom occasionally and that didn't disturb us either.

I'm not convinced that one could cope with a whole house, even a small one on it's own.

cheers, let me see if I should get a small one once my house is fixed

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #67 on: 09 January, 2023, 10:55:48 am »
We have a medium sized one in a house with lots of rooms. The front of the house is single glazed, so that is where condensation occurs. With two humans and two cats we only get bad condensation when doors are shut. With more humans - it is overworked.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #68 on: 09 January, 2023, 11:02:20 am »
We are trying to acquire a dehumidifier, then intend on adding a socket to the upstairs bathroom. It is large enough that a socket can be more than 3m clear of bath and shower.

That will be really useful for drying various clothes, wetsuits etc.

I wish I could do this, but alas, the bathroom we use as a drying room is a tiny en-suite so it would be very much not allowed. Instead, I trail an extension lead in there. :demon: (In the rare event that we actually need to use it as a bathroom, the dehumidifier gets moved out.)

« Reply #69 on: 09 January, 2023, 01:12:31 pm »
The Meaco we bought recently is surprisingly quiet - especially on night mode.
I am over-sensitive to noise, spent over the odds for a quieter dishwasher, but the de-humidifier doesn't worry me at all.
Wish we had got one years ago....

« Reply #70 on: 02 September, 2023, 02:12:19 pm »
I checked when I got home - ours is also a Meaco. Zambezi is the model.   According to the panel on back, it’s 650W.   That sounds like a lot. Hmmm.
It was a Which? Best Buy 2017 though.   It hasn’t gone yellow yet.

Thread resurrection

Also picked up a Meaco Zambezi, as it's a dessicant* dehummidifier efficient at lower temps as well e.g. 1-17C+, & last winter some of the house was a bit too cold for our compressor unit to work well.

I note that it's 300W consumption on single fan speed, & boosts to 600W-ish on max fan etc. 'parently dessicant units use more energy than the compressors in general (though work at lower temps.)

Other stuff:  I was initially a bit puzzled by the fan continuing on after powering off, as didn't seem to be in manual - but discovered it always runs on for 10min after.  Decent warm air out put which can be useful for a bit of additional low level heating.   Has a built in timer (as can't generally use external timers) which may be useful for early auto starts etc. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson