Author Topic: Borders and Flatlands 1000km 23-26 August 2024  (Read 949 times)

Borders and Flatlands 1000km 23-26 August 2024
« on: 20 September, 2023, 10:22:32 pm »
Entries open 9am Saturday 12 November 2023
There may be a bit of interest in this so here's an early update on the plan - it could change a bit but probably not much
Start 11am Friday 23 August in Brampton, nr Carlisle.
You've got 75 hours to finish, that is by 2pm Monday 26th.
The route is a loop around the Scottish Borders then south down the Eden Valley to Garsdale Head. From there it's across to the Humber Bridge and South to Leicestershire where the route turns north and heads back via Yad Moss to finish just outside Brampton.
There's a bit of TLC along the way. You'll get fed at least once and I'm working on a second feed stop on the Friday in Scotland.
There are overnight sleep facilities and food at the controls at
Kirkby Stephen 273km
Bassingham 568/694km
Northallerton 903km and at the finish just outside Brampton 1033km.
Kirkby Stephen, Bassingham and Northallerton all have showers but there may be a queue. The finish is very basic but they’ve got a kettle and I’ll improvise.
I'm also planning an overflow sleep facility in deepest Leicestershire at 630km from 8pm - 6am on the Saturday night between the two visits to Bassingham.
When I say sleep facilities it'll either be on the floor or an option for outside on the grass. There’s plenty of outdoor space at the controls. The plus side is there should be an option for a one drop bag to be taken to each of the three main overnight controls (limited time windows), but it should work. You should be able to pack a small mat and sleeping bag or bivi in your drop bag. (No Tents)
You will be able to sleep at the finish if you get there on Sunday evening/night.
If you intend riding it very quickly be aware the max speed is 25kph and there will be NO  event control facilities at Northallerton and the finish until later on Sunday morning. There is a 24 hour garage near the control in Northallerton and arrangements will be made at the finish.
Realistically if you intend to try and finish sub 45 hours Northallerton/Finish won’t be open so just have another coffee and more cake at one of the controls and enjoy the event. (I’d also ask why?)
It probably won't be an issue for most of you and there’ll be plenty of support at the controls. I'm trying to be efficient in the use of my helpers and keep costs down but it should all work out.
The current very provisional route is here www. ridewithgps.com/routes/41059239
See Calendar event page for more information on entry fee and event. www.audax.uk/event-details/10107-borders_and_flatlands_thousand
Entries don't open until 9am Sunday 12 November and “no, you can't reserve a place”, once it's full there will be a limited waiting list. Entries will obviously be limited.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: Borders and Flatlands 1000km 23-26 August 2024
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2023, 09:40:46 am »
Looks like a nice 1000, not too testing, as long as the wind does not interfere in the flat middle section.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2023, 12:51:55 pm »
Looks very sensible.  Sleep at Kirkby Stephen Friday night.  Depending on wind rain and legs sleep at Bassingham on the way out or the way back (Saturday Night), and that determines Northallerton sleep or push onto the finish Sunday night.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 21 September, 2023, 01:33:25 pm »
I need a 1300, I can't decide between riding the 270km down to Carlisle and then up to Brampton, which with a 2am start gives me a decent sleep in a Carlisle motel over night.
Or ride home, and kip in a bus shelter somewhere