Author Topic: 9 Counties 600  (Read 601 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
9 Counties 600
« on: 29 May, 2024, 11:51:21 am »
Anyone else doing this?

Have the Alfreton Travelodge booked for 3 nights so will use it as a Saturday night kip stop as well as before and after.  Will take me to some areas I haven't ridden to, and some that I haven't been to for a long while.  The weather might not be dreadful.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Re: 9 Counties 600
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2024, 03:15:04 pm »
Do you have the route for it? I had it pencilled in but I think my legs are still protesting after the MC1000k so I removed it from my calendar in a rare moment of self-preservation/common sense.

« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2024, 03:27:13 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2024, 04:18:05 pm »
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43090517

Thanks. It does cover quite a bit of new territory. I think it might be more sensible to save it for next year or ride it as a Perm or something. I seem to have loaded June up pretty heavy.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2024, 05:54:19 pm »
Its the first leg of my hyper attempt.  But I have spaced the events ou 4 -5 weeks apart so should be able to recover.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2024, 06:12:54 pm »
Its the first leg of my hyper attempt.  But I have spaced the events ou 4 -5 weeks apart so should be able to recover.

I did mine in 2019 (I think I might've done one in a previous year by accident) in the space of a month. It would've been less I think but I wasn't well before Pendle so ended up DNSing that and doing the Last Gasp instead.

Then did AAA Hyper SR when going for the AAA points title in 2022. I can't believe I'm half way through the season and I only have a single 200k on the board from back in Nov!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2024, 09:23:37 pm »
I don't even have that.  I had a mechanical on my November 200.  But I have ridden more this year than most and took a Friday off to ride 200 miles a month or so back, so we will see.

« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2024, 07:46:27 am »
I don't even have that.  I had a mechanical on my November 200.  But I have ridden more this year than most and took a Friday off to ride 200 miles a month or so back, so we will see.

I keep planning a 300k DIY and then knocking it on the head due to fatigue or motivation or weather. Old me would've just set the alarm for 4am and got it done.
We did get around the Mittelgebirge Classique in Germany which was 1000km and 20000m so we can still ride but not the hectic amounts I used to do.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:09:16 pm »
That went somewhat better than planned.

I ended up in company with an ex RAF Mountain Rescue team member who rode about the same pace as me.  The crux was the 72km from Crowland to Horncastle directly into a solid headwind.  This turned into a tough two-up time trial, but we found a Costa in Horncastle that gave us shelter, coffee, and pastries for a nice evening ride back to Alfreton, unfortunately just after the chippy had shut.  That meant a petrol station sandwich supper before turning in at about 11pm.  Booking the Travelodge for three nights meant I had the luxury of a shower, proper bed, and change of kit.

I set out next morning at 3.30am and saw no other riders all day, probably because faster riders with less sleep were ahead of me, and slower riders wouldn't catch up.  The tough stage was Retford to Glews, wide flat featureless roads, where I could have done with some company to keep the mind alert.  Breakfast at Glews fortified me for a short, tailwind stage to Barton-on-Humber, taking a few photos of the bridge they were building when I was at school in Hull for a couple of years).  It warmed up after that.   This was my 4th event where Gainsborough was a control and the first time I didn't stop at the Jet garage.

The wind picked up for the last stage and was mostly a head-cross wind, but I kept my head screwed on and made it in one push, finishing at 4pm, a little earlier than planned, as my pace had been good all day.  First leg of a proposed hyper-randonnee season completed.  Although this event is X-rated as it is all commercial controls, with the option of booking accommodation in Alfreton to have a night stop, it could be a good first 600.

« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:18:38 pm »
Worth doing then? I like the idea of the Travelodge - makes it less stressful having a "home base" and could take/leave stuff based on variable weather too.

I ended up doing a different 300k to the one I'd originally planned but got it done. That northerly/northwesterly down along the coast reminded me of Race Around the Netherlands! :D

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #10 on: Today at 04:39:26 pm »
I'd say the only drawback are a few busy roads between Shepshed and Crowland.  The section between Retford and Glews is really dull - but is good mile-eating territory.  I was a bit worried that it would be one of those routes that never really goes anywhere, but it did have good variety, and the Humber Bridge was nice on Sunday morning in the sunshine.  As its an X-rated event you need to do a bit of cafe research beforehand, but diligent use of Google Streetview paid off, especailly with Leo's in Shepshed.