Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1335301 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #7425 on: 21 March, 2024, 09:08:50 am »
I've restricted snacks, resisted having seconds in the evening. Exercised every day, some days vigourously, mostly about 40min.

Put on a kilo in a week.

FFS
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7426 on: 21 March, 2024, 04:12:37 pm »
Mr C, that's fucking maddening. I hope that's a glitch in a better longer term trend.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7427 on: 22 March, 2024, 07:45:40 am »
I've restricted snacks, resisted having seconds in the evening. Exercised every day, some days vigourously, mostly about 40min.

Put on a kilo in a week.

FFS

You may have put on muscle.   

Look for the non-weight positives (looser clothing, fewer aches and pains, etc). Don’t get wedded to progress only coming from the scales. 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7428 on: 22 March, 2024, 08:37:10 am »

Put on a kilo in a week.

FFS

You may have put on muscle.   

Look for the non-weight positives (looser clothing, fewer aches and pains, etc). Don’t get wedded to progress only coming from the scales.
According to the not-reliable scale measurements, I've put on 800g of muscle.

Clothes aren't any looser . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7429 on: 22 March, 2024, 11:52:30 am »
In the first month of the Zoe programme, basically trying to establish how I react to various foods, I’ve put on 4kg.

I’m not sure this is going right.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7430 on: 22 March, 2024, 04:32:01 pm »
As I’ve posted before, the tape measure is your friend but you need to use this consistently.

Regulator

« Reply #7431 on: 26 March, 2024, 07:28:32 pm »
Another 1.2kg off this week.  That means just over a stone in the last 4 weeks. 

Green Party Councillor

rr

« Reply #7432 on: 26 March, 2024, 10:29:36 pm »
Back on the way down, I had the shorten my heart rate belt yesterday.

Regulator

« Reply #7433 on: 13 April, 2024, 08:41:49 am »
So, I was a little lax over the Easter weekend and put on 1.5kg.   This week I managed to lose 2.5kg so I’m back on track. 

I’ve started the Man Flow Yoga 6 week strength foundation course.  So I’ve got a gym session in the morning and a yoga session in the evening six days a week.  My rest day is a walking day.  I need to up my mileage in the coming weeks to prep for the Rome walk.  Tomorrow will be 7-8 miles.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #7434 on: 17 April, 2024, 03:18:46 pm »
Meh!  I maintained this week.  I think it may have been the result of a rather heavy Saturday night, when much boozahol was consumed...

Green Party Councillor

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #7435 on: 17 April, 2024, 03:21:20 pm »
Every time I lose a little - I then plateau for a while - I’m kinda used to it now because I’ve been trying to do it in a sustainable way so I have to accept that it’s slower than it could be in the hope that it’ll stay off. I’d love to say woo ! I’ve lost 17kg but at 184cm I was a whopping 110kg

Regulator

« Reply #7436 on: 17 April, 2024, 03:30:27 pm »
Every time I lose a little - I then plateau for a while - I’m kinda used to it now because I’ve been trying to do it in a sustainable way so I have to accept that it’s slower than it could be in the hope that it’ll stay off. I’d love to say woo ! I’ve lost 17kg but at 184cm I was a whopping 110kg

100kg is nothing...

Green Party Councillor

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #7437 on: 17 April, 2024, 03:32:41 pm »
Yeah I wasn’t huge but my belly was

rr

« Reply #7438 on: 22 April, 2024, 09:13:35 pm »
Dropped just over 10kg in 8 weeks of total diet replacement soups and shakes, now tapering back to normal food.

« Reply #7439 on: 23 April, 2024, 07:59:19 am »
Far out, that is a lot. Very rapid loss.

Well done.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

« Reply #7440 on: 24 April, 2024, 09:16:28 am »
I managed to get a kilo off last week - despite a copious intake of wine and gelato over the weekend.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7441 on: 24 April, 2024, 09:32:16 am »
Well done on the continued loss even with some indulgences on the weekend. That's really the name of the game - overall progress over time despite occasional slipping up. Some plateaus are inevitable too so don't sweat it if the scale stays the same for a bit. :thumbsup:

« Reply #7442 on: 26 May, 2024, 10:05:59 pm »
Popping back in to report how things have been gong for me.

I started off in January 23, at 107kg with an objective to hit 92 by my daughter's wedding in June. I hit that, but then managed to get struck down with HSP and 6 Kg disappeared in a week and worried the buggeration out of me. I backed away from dieting for a few months, came back to it around October time, now down to 83Kg. I'd be happy there but I feel 79 gives me an easy trigger point for maintenance at around 80, more of that later.

I thought I'd set down what works for me, in case it is of use to others. It's a mish mash of various practices, in no particular order:

- Positive visualisation. Thinking of myself as a thin person, but with maybe a little too much weight at the moment. This also informs choices and helps my "Won't Power" definitely more relevant than willpower for me - when about to put something in my mouth I can tell myself, that's not what the person I am does. I know that working from home, getting a tan from the fridge light was a real problem.

- The "I can make you thin" book from Paul McKenna. I didn't buy into the whole thing, but I found some of his suggestions very helpful - eating slower, _really_ enjoying your food even if you are breaking your diet, and breaking the link between falling off the wagon and failing the process

- Weighing. Daily with an app to record and graph (I used to use paper). I like trends and can deal with fluctuations

- Eating. I don't calorie count, but I try to make the right choices and - outside of meals if I need to wat I shove an apple in my gob.

The final piece (for me) fell into place a few weeks ago. I had plateaued at around 88Kg, which was OK-ish, but odd. I then came across Tim Spector (actually, on Desert Island DIscs) and I was fascinated by what he was saying, and I found I had "The Diet Myth" on my spotify audiobooks. That was a game changer, he had done proper science around eating and what he had to say was interesting and not predictable. (It appears that some of his more recent books may be more theory and opinion focussed, although I've not read them)

Apparently 60% of body shape is genetic, but 40% relates to other factors (his findings come from science with identical twins). Then, while it is a truism that calories in>calories out = getting fat and the reverse, the diets we hold as fundamental to our world view are universally misplaced. Given the individuality of our makeup, genetic combined with our habits and internal biology as a result, approaching weight loss from the diet side is misplaced. All calories are not equal. Given that the whole diet industry is built on the foundation of the calories printed on the side of a packet, that's a big deal.

Instead he advocated arriving at weight loss through the biome - what's happening in our individual guts. Addressing it's health and making it more efficient.

So, I did that. I changed my food to include more fermented products (yoghurt, kefir, kimchi), added more pulses, EV olive oil, dark chocolate, increased the variety and number of foods. And, despite an apparently higher calorie intake, my weight started to drop again, actually with less effort. Those food choices may not work for everyone, but it is working for me.

I  now want to find out how I mainain at this point.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7443 on: 01 June, 2024, 03:12:42 pm »
Having weighed myself just after Christmas, I decided action was needed. Downloaded the NHS Weight Loss app, set a calorie target (2200kcal/day) and had a go to see what resolve I had. I've made a bit more of an effort to be more active too,with a self imposed cycling distance target. I do some of that by a half hour spin at lunch when time allows.

At the beginning of week 10 (last Saturday) of a 12 week programme I was 5kg down from my starting point. Quite Pleased. That's the lightest I've been for ages and ages.

Other than calorie counting, I haven't really made much change to my diet. I tend not to drink mid week, so that helps I guess.
I'm still using the NHS app to calorie count and the time of year means more cycling (around 280km per week over the last month). Weight this morning was 84.7kg, a shade over 10kg down since Christmas. BMI (yes, I know) is on the cusp of healthy and overweight.
Unintended downside' I could only give a single bag of platelets at St Georges today. (See blood donation thread for details)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7444 on: 01 June, 2024, 03:24:44 pm »
I was heading up and over 73kg in dec/jan, may not seem much, but at my height of rugby playing when shifting some serious weights I was no more than 75kg, I'm only 5'9"/1.75m for context.

Decided to start doing something in mid April. Cutting back on boozahol, eliminating snacks, and 3-4 days a week having an extremely minimal breakfast of coffee with cream and a handful of nuts. Also threw in weights workouts rather than just cycling. Today weighed in at 71.1, with abs starting to appear out of the flab
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens