Author Topic: Potential N+1  (Read 1478 times)

fuzzy

Potential N+1
« on: 16 March, 2009, 07:42:38 pm »
I'm thinking of getting one of these as my bike to use when providing cycle patrol training etc.

A friend from the Politie at the Hague has one he has sprayed white and marked up as his travelling job bike. I tred one out at our seminar at The Barbican last year. Weighs in at about 30 lbs. but is a hell of a fun bike (ask PG Tips).

annie

Re: Potential N+1
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2009, 07:45:23 pm »
Ohhh, that's interesting and different and hunky ;)

Looks like lots of fun might be had on that.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2009, 07:51:47 pm »
I think one of herwelshness' friends on Lewisham Cyclists has one of those. Leastways, there was something very similar out with us when we chased the old cars last year.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2009, 08:09:45 pm »
They look quite neat, but looking at the Paratrooper one, if paratroopers were going to use this, wouldn't a rear dérailleur gear be a bad idea?  I would have though a suitably "bomb" proof hub gear would be more protected from abuse, at a minimum it ought to have something to stop the dérailleur be bent into the wheel.

Anyway, aside from any potential armed forces use, the nice wide panel on the "top tube" is handy for branding, and it certainly seems to be a full sized wheel bike that folds up easily without too many compromises, and still largely uses off the shelf components.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2009, 02:11:07 pm »
I had a BiFrame, which was the earlier Montague system.  Reliable, fairly simple fold and solid to ride.  Obviously didn't fold to Brommie standards, but then I'd have panicked rather than take a Brommie over the places I had my BiFrame.

Tim, the actual military spec (not clear if any forces have purchased) is a single speed, IIRC.
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2009, 02:37:17 pm »
The Paratrooper model is geared- 8 speed cassette. it was developed for and has apparently been used by Airborne troops from the USA.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2009, 04:49:54 pm »
It's n+1, how can it possibly be wrong in any way?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 17 March, 2009, 04:59:59 pm »

If Fuzzy was considering this for instance...?

I think that army bike looks cool inna rufty tufty sort of way.  But why would you need a folder?

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 17 March, 2009, 05:08:46 pm »
Why not an equivalent Dahon 26" wheeler?

fuzzy

« Reply #9 on: 17 March, 2009, 05:15:26 pm »

If Fuzzy was considering this for instance...?

I think that army bike looks cool inna rufty tufty sort of way.  But why would you need a folder?

Cos it can go in the boot of the car if I have to travel to a training venue, like I did a few weeks ago for Warwickshire. It can also go on a plane easily if I go abroad on a jolly!

fuzzy

« Reply #10 on: 17 March, 2009, 05:16:59 pm »
Why not an equivalent Dahon 26" wheeler?

I don't think the Dahon is sturdy enough for riding up and down steps and throwing at knife wielding suspects like wot I do when I'm cycle patrol training.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 17 March, 2009, 05:21:56 pm »
An the Paratrooper bike is all bootch, innit Sand?  Like wot we vadad at the Marines Club, Fuzzy with his lallies astride, riah blowin in the wind, it was... etc etc etc ;)
Getting there...