Author Topic: Core strength / stability....how do I know?  (Read 3039 times)

Core strength / stability....how do I know?
« on: 15 March, 2009, 12:26:47 pm »
I'm back on the bike after 3 months off following a prolapsed disc.  During that time my only real exercise has been a range of core strength exercises given to me by the physio.  I've been fairly good about it and have probably managed to do the exercises 5 days a week for up to an hour at a time.  The exercises are fairly mixed and utilise a swiss ball, exercise tubes and a range of pilates and yoga moves.

So, my question is this: How do I know when I have a strong core?  The exercises require me to engage my core muscles, which is fine, but will this always be the case?  Or can the muscles be taught to engage subconsciously with training thereby offering permanant back support without having to think about it?

I kind of thought I'd have noticed more of a difference by now....

Re: Core strength / stability....how do I know?
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2009, 01:40:44 pm »
Well, I guess I keep doing it till I find out!

« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2009, 01:54:50 pm »
If you can, just keep doing it.  I don't think you ever get to the stage where your core is permanently engaged without having to train.  As for whether you'll notice the improvement, I think the changes can be quite subtle.  For me, my posture has improved and I've had no back/arm/neck problems even after long back-to-back rides.  My way of seeing it is that it's certainly not doing any harm and is probably helping, so why not.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2009, 01:58:36 pm »
Good question. I have done lots and lots of core work since I broke my pelvis. I notice a difference when cycling, uphill no hands. Or when I bend down to feed the cats, keeping my legs straight pivoting from my hips. Will it happen automatically, permanently I think so, is for me but I am also doing more weight lifting to strengthen my upper back and chest and help my posture.

Stop doing it and see if you feel a difference.

« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2009, 02:04:06 pm »
Difficult to judge - I go on how much back pain I get. I know that if I stop the core strength exercises eventually problems occur. However, the effect of several months of doing core exercises regularly can last quite a while, I'd say it takes 2 month or so to lose the tone.

« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2009, 10:18:17 pm »
The exercises seem to have become a habit now, so yes, I'll keep going (I never want pain like that again).  Hopefully, once I've regained some of the cardio fitness I've lost, I'll be in a better position to judge the benefits.

So, next numpty question: are core exercises like weight training - the better you get the more weight/repitions you have to do? 

annie

« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2009, 10:29:49 pm »
The exercises seem to have become a habit now, so yes, I'll keep going (I never want pain like that again).  Hopefully, once I've regained some of the cardio fitness I've lost, I'll be in a better position to judge the benefits.

So, next numpty question: are core exercises like weight training - the better you get the more weight/repitions you have to do? 

I think it depends on the specific exercise.  As you improve you might find you can add in some more complicated exercises for the core or add weights to give some resistance. 

Good luck Andy Pandy

« Reply #7 on: 18 March, 2009, 08:33:05 am »

Yes. Your core muscles are like other muscles, if you want to make them grow they need to be stressed. As I got better at core exercises I was more stable which enabled me to do different things which causes the muscles to be exercised in different ways, which is a good thing to keep them adapting and developing.

« Reply #8 on: 18 March, 2009, 08:47:45 am »
As I got better at core exercises I was more stable which enabled me to do different things which causes the muscles to be exercised in different ways, which is a good thing to keep them adapting and developing.

Aha, this is just what I was coming here to say. You can increase the reps or intensity of what you're already doing, but it would be worthwhile to bring in some new things that work the same muscles, but in a slightly different way: you want all round, general strength so the more different things you can do the better.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 18 March, 2009, 09:01:13 am »
Does anyone have a good site for pointers on what core strength exercises to do?
I've been thinking I could probably do with some of these after my back scare last year, but I don't really have an idea where to start (except for squillions of sit ups that is!).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #11 on: 18 March, 2009, 09:37:10 am »
Excellent.  Thanks for your replies everyone.

I've re-joined a gym today.  No more excuses - I will have strong abs! 

« Reply #12 on: 18 March, 2009, 09:38:24 am »
You did? which one?

« Reply #13 on: 18 March, 2009, 09:47:59 am »
The ARC - Glasgow Caledonian Uni gym.  5 minutes walk from work.  Hoping to get an early train from Edinburgh and go before work.

« Reply #14 on: 18 March, 2009, 09:55:07 am »
Ah! Cool - good for you.

annie

« Reply #15 on: 18 March, 2009, 09:55:53 am »
Remember with core strength training not to just focus on the abs. 

« Reply #16 on: 18 March, 2009, 10:05:06 am »
Yes I've just been reading about that in one of the links MSeries posted.  Hopefully a knowledgeable instructor at the gym can give me an all round programme that complements the exercises I'm already doing at home including more cardio to help remove the weight I've managed to gain!!! 

« Reply #17 on: 18 March, 2009, 10:17:54 am »
Yes I've just been reading about that in one of the links MSeries posted.  Hopefully a knowledgeable instructor at the gym can give me an all round programme that complements the exercises I'm already doing at home including more cardio to help remove the weight I've managed to gain!!! 
To get back to your original question, from my own experience. I can do exercises now that I couldn't do, or do for so long, or as many reps. of, that I couldn't do 6 months ago.  That's how you know it's making a difference. Or if it keeps you injury free it is working.

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 18 March, 2009, 10:35:45 am »
Another example of this - I'd never been able to do push-ups (5 at a time, max) until I did the 100 Push up challenge. Although I copped out of the challenge before the end - I can still do 60 push-ups, no problemo which is a far cry from how I used to be.

« Reply #19 on: 18 March, 2009, 10:41:50 am »
Fair enough....guess I need to start challenging myself.  Press-ups included!