Author Topic: Is it OK to start an Audax ride early?  (Read 8900 times)

Martin

Re: Is it OK to start an Audax ride early?
« Reply #50 on: 10 May, 2009, 08:44:23 pm »
If anyone wants their cycling to be unfettered to that extent please do it outside the auspices of AUK.

*raises eyebrow*

And who put you in charge of the auspices of AUK, Martin? 

nobody; I'm not in charge of anything to do with AUK; I was just pointing out that AUK rides have regulations regarding start and finish times and overall riding speeds (maximum and minimum). If riders do not wish to be bound by these very simple regulations perhaps they should not ride AUK events; that's all.

This forum contains a great many members of our national organisation; if we are going to take the piss out that organisation and also of its rules (which exist for very good reasons; notwithstanding the fact that organisers have a duty of care to riders in possession of their route sheets on the day of the ride; and those riders are covered by AUK's insurance, but also that very organisation has the job of validating BRM events and this depends on these rules and adherence thereto for international credibilty)
it's a sad state of affairs.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #51 on: 10 May, 2009, 08:44:32 pm »
This whole thread has left me shocked and concerned.

I was looking for a helping hand with a couple of speeding convictions and was considering joining the Freemasons. I'm not familiar with all the customs but if this means loitering around service stations, sleeping in bus shelters and pretending to like rice pudding, I'll just pay the fine and take the points.

Thanks for the "heads up", as they say in Sturminster Marshall.

H

dehomag

« Reply #52 on: 10 May, 2009, 08:54:44 pm »
It has often puzzled me why people want to "belong" to an organisation, whether as a member or as a guest participating in that organisation's events, and then complain about the rules

Exactly the kind of progressive, dynamic, forward-looking thinking that AUK is renowned for.  

I don't see any problem with discussion (not complaining) about the rules to assess general opinion and stimulate debate prior to, as you say, putting forward a motion at the AGM.  That's one of the things forums are for.

"Like it or lump it" is a bit last century for my tastes.

what would your proposal be ?

« Reply #53 on: 10 May, 2009, 09:02:46 pm »
OMFG.

:hand:

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #54 on: 10 May, 2009, 09:20:38 pm »
It has often puzzled me why people want to "belong" to an organisation, whether as a member or as a guest participating in that organisation's events, and then complain about the rules

Exactly the kind of progressive, dynamic, forward-looking thinking that AUK is renowned for.  

I don't see any problem with discussion (not complaining) about the rules to assess general opinion and stimulate debate prior to, as you say, putting forward a motion at the AGM.  That's one of the things forums are for.

"Like it or lump it" is a bit last century for my tastes.

what would your proposal be ?

That when someone on a public discussion board suggests something that is unusual or not yet tried, it gets the courtesy of a discussion (and yes, I know we've done time limits to death and I'm one of the people who doesn't want to see that changed) rather than just being told, effectively, to sod off.  Intentionally or not, Martin's post was basically telling another rider whether they may or may not ride audax. 

An individual rider might decide they don't like the rules, realise the weight of opinion is against changing them, and choose not to do any riding that fetters them in that way.  But it's up to them, not self-appointed AUK hierarchy. 

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #55 on: 10 May, 2009, 11:28:00 pm »
My circuits have been alerted that certain posts in this thread are showing a lack of excellence to each other, I have reviewed this thread and as the question has been answered my masters have requested that I leave it locked.

threepio.