Author Topic: First shot with medium format  (Read 2609 times)

First shot with medium format
« on: 30 April, 2009, 06:27:30 pm »
I was out and about last week with an old Lubitel very kindly on loan from David Martin (cheers :thumbsup:). Got my first roll of film developed this afternoon.

I clearly need to get a bit of practice in with guessing the exposure but I'm quite chuffed with most of the shots, less so with the scratches you can see on the last shot (not sure if it was the lab or not).

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: First shot with medium format
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2009, 06:29:38 pm »
I love the second shot!  Where is that?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2009, 06:36:28 pm »
I really like those, especially the top two.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2009, 06:37:39 pm »

That's Dean Village in Edinburgh, down by the Water of Leith. It's lovely down there. Right in the centre of town but it feels like a wee countryside village.

fuzzy

« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2009, 06:38:08 pm »
A good medium format wet film camera produces some stunning results. nice stuff Kyuss :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 30 April, 2009, 06:39:54 pm »
There is a warmth and a timeless feel (aside from the TV aerials) to the last 3 that I like. 

« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2009, 06:42:13 pm »
Lovely pics!

How do you achieve the vignetting seen in the first two - is that down to the camera? or has it been 'shopped?

« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2009, 06:45:11 pm »
Aye, the vignetting is down to the camera, one of the reasons I like old Lubitel and Holga shots. It's not on the last two because those were cropped. No "shopping" done apart from a bit of levels adjustment to correct dodgy exposure.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2009, 07:49:54 pm »
I shot with digital to get the exposure right then used the MF camera.

There is a certain quality (pertaining to property rather than standard)  that the MF camera brings.

nice compositions though.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 01 May, 2009, 09:19:20 am »
Great stuff. 

I never got on with 6x6 because it's a bit static for me (read: My composition was rubbish), and I went for 645 as my preferred format.

But your photos have a stillness and charm to them.  Here's to loads more!
Getting there...

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #10 on: 01 May, 2009, 01:17:25 pm »

That's Dean Village in Edinburgh, down by the Water of Leith. It's lovely down there. Right in the centre of town but it feels like a wee countryside village.

... on the Rhine.

LEE

« Reply #11 on: 01 May, 2009, 04:12:18 pm »
I love 6x6 format.

If you like the format then check ebay for an old Rolleiflex 6x6 or a Mamiya 220/330.  There are some amazing bargains and there will be a leap in quality from the Lada Lubitel

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 01 May, 2009, 04:28:03 pm »
The Mamiya is a lovely bit of engineering.  I had the humbler 220, but I spent a lot of time just playing with it rather than taking pics.  Everything was soooo smooth.

But a decent TLR needn't be a Rolleiflex.  The Rolleicord was a great bit of kit (and less absurdly priced generally as it;s not so collected).  If you want a British one, get an MPP Microcord.  I had one for a very short time - poverty meant I had to sell it :'(
Getting there...

Fi

« Reply #13 on: 19 May, 2009, 12:24:35 pm »
Who developed them for you?  Was it done the old fashioned way, or through a neg.scanner and digitally printed?  I have some mf negs I'd liked developed properly.

« Reply #14 on: 19 May, 2009, 04:24:19 pm »
I had the film developed at a local photo shop, Trumps to be precise then scanned them myself. Very few places seem to do old fashioned wet printing these days. Even mf and large format film tends to be scanned and digitally printed now that the technology has advanced enough to give wet printing a run for its money. I'll print them myself on my photo printer if I ever feel the need.

« Reply #15 on: 19 May, 2009, 04:41:17 pm »
They are gorgeous shots with real warmth.

Makes me think my brother, who is fond of the old SLR he has for taking architectural and city shots, might like an old 6x6 camera as a xmas pressie - maybe a Rolleicord as the Rolleiflex seems to be going for £500ish on ebay  :o

Fi

« Reply #16 on: 19 May, 2009, 05:31:55 pm »
Thanks Kyuss. 

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17 on: 27 May, 2009, 02:08:10 pm »
Once again we see that the most important bit of photographic equipment is this side of the viewfinder.

Very nice.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)