Author Topic: Wood in your food?  (Read 2499 times)

Wood in your food?
« on: 18 June, 2009, 05:10:47 pm »
Secondo was pouring himself a bowl of Corn Flakes the other day when a bit of painted softwood about 4.5x1x.5 cm fell out of the packet. most distressed he was since he's already worked his way through most of the packet already.

We contacted Kelloggs who sent us an envelope to return everything in, which we duly did (having first taken photos!), but having given the subject a thorough Googling, I think we should also have contacted Trading Standards or our local Food Safety.

Does anyone have any hints or tips?

As an aside, the spread on eventual outcome runs from a Kelloggs voucher for a box of Corn Flakes and letter of (non-blame admitting) apology to 50 quid, expectations to being to the lower end of the scale.

Anyone care to place a wager?

Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

Re: Wood in your food?
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2009, 05:14:48 pm »
Many years ago I was sent a hard drive as faulty and when I plugged it in it worked fine. A quick poke around revealed that the need user was a well known pie making company. There were some interesting documents including one regarding customer complaints about sawdust in the pies. The suggested resolution was to "make sure the sawdust is ground up smaller". Makes you think.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2009, 05:19:39 pm »
I got £50 for my wrong sort of nut. I wasn't bothered about recompense but merely wanted to make them aware that bits of machinery are going astray. I think they were grateful that I took a humorous approach. Their concern for my mental well being was almost over the top in fact  ;D

Funnily enough, yesterday I was eating an Innocent veg pot (mmmmm  :) ) and bit into a bloody stone  >:( No dental damage this time either. Same size, shape, and colour as the ? haricot beans therein so a hard one to spot.

« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2009, 08:04:26 pm »
Piccies!

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2009, 08:24:40 pm »
I was at school with someone whose mother opened a tin of baked beans only to find no beans, but a large cog entirely filling the tin, and a tablespoon of tomato sauce. They complained, and were sent a voucher for a four-pack of beans.  ::-) They then went to the local paper on the grounds that six-month-old baby Elie might of died if she had accidentally swallowed this. Yup, a six-month-old might have swallowed something the size of a tin can, and her mother wouldn't have noticed due to the cunning disguise of coating it in tomato sauce. ::-)

I'm not sure whose behaviour was sillier.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2009, 08:37:49 pm »

I'm very confident that's a piece off a Chep pallet. Kellogg's use Chep pallets. Nearly all of the UK food distribution industry does.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2009, 08:42:20 pm »
Chep as in GKN?

« Reply #7 on: 18 June, 2009, 08:43:13 pm »
Chep as in GKN?

That's right they used to be GKN.
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

« Reply #8 on: 18 June, 2009, 08:49:33 pm »
GKN as in Guest, Keen and Nettlefold ?

N as in Nettlefold of Nettlefold Hall in West Norwood, part of the library - with its cinema screen where they shot the 'aversive therapy' sequence during filming of "The Clockwork Orange"?

Would that be the one?

Hmmm?

« Reply #9 on: 18 June, 2009, 08:55:53 pm »
GKN as in Guest, Keen and Nettlefold ?

Yes, Chep bought out the pallet manufacturing side of GKN. Even keeping the famous blue pallet colour.

All they changed was the stencilling on the pallets.

« Reply #10 on: 20 June, 2009, 10:03:03 am »
Some time ago I found a small screw in a chicken burger, made a fuss and got £5 back, some time later my pepper mill was playing up .....there was a screw missing ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 20 June, 2009, 10:08:29 am »
I was at school with someone whose mother opened a tin of baked beans only to find no beans, but a large cog entirely filling the tin, and a tablespoon of tomato sauce.
17T or 18T?  Sounds like a cyclist's bonus to me.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12 on: 25 June, 2009, 09:42:07 pm »
Finally got a reply from Kellogg's today - a letter which basically said "No idea how that happened, mate. We're always dead careful and so is everyone who works on our production line. Have 2 £3 vouchers for Kellogg's products and go away please"

No real complaints, but that was RIGHT to the bottom end of expectations!

« Reply #13 on: 25 June, 2009, 10:10:31 pm »
Some time ago I found a small screw in a chicken burger, made a fuss and got £5 back, some time later my pepper mill was playing up .....there was a screw missing ;D

I hope that you donated the £5 somewhere to restore the balance
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #14 on: 26 June, 2009, 11:53:37 am »
Wood in your food?

There's an image (well, a few) on the 'net of a woman about to take a bite from a "loaded"
hot dog roll.

« Reply #15 on: 26 June, 2009, 12:00:43 pm »
Bit ironic really as Dr Kellogg invented Corn Flakes as an aid to stop masturbation.

Zoidburg

« Reply #16 on: 26 June, 2009, 03:47:31 pm »
I know what that wood has come from.

Its part of a "blue" pallet as used in warehousing and logistics. They paint them blue to denote that they are pressure treated timber that will hold more weight. Going in badly with a forklift will knock splinters off them.

How that has ended up in the bag after packing I don't know so maybe find out where the factory is and send an email to the local environmental heath?