Author Topic: Been using the search but.... [Al frames / tyre pressure]  (Read 3147 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Been using the search but.... [Al frames / tyre pressure]
« Reply #25 on: 22 July, 2009, 11:30:57 pm »
I agree it's preferable not to use tyre levers to fit a tyre, but sometimes it's too difficult without and not worth investing in special tools when you can use a tyre lever carefully.

In her last post, Vava reported a slit tyre, not holes in the tube.  That's not easy to do with a tyre lever unless it's an incredibly horrible one.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Vava

« Reply #26 on: 23 July, 2009, 08:01:47 pm »
i use tyre levers are they the wrong thing to use? My fingers aren't strong enough to do it without some help!

So the saga continues - I got my spiffy tyres today and fitted one this evening only to find that the bloody wheel isn't true argh! Husband says he will take it in to repair shop tomorrow to get spokes sorted. I really really wanna ride my bike!!!!!

What amount of 'not trueness' is ok? So sorry to be a PITA with all the questions. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #27 on: 23 July, 2009, 08:29:49 pm »
I would never ever get my Blizzards on without my Park levers and the VAR.
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #28 on: 23 July, 2009, 09:04:53 pm »
What amount of 'not trueness' is ok?

It doesn't matter very much as long as you can adjust and use the brake to your satisfaction, and as long as no spokes are broken or terribly loose.  (Note that it's normal for the spokes on the right side of most rear wheels to be tighter than the ones on the left).

The keenest road bikers like their wheels to be true to within 1mm or even less, but you can actually get away with a quite a few mm of wobble in many cases without anything bad happening.  So maybe you could have a bit of a ride tonight or tomorrow afterall before getting it trued.

So sorry to be a PITA with all the questions.

That's what The Knowledge is for!  :)
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Vava

« Reply #29 on: 27 July, 2009, 06:42:32 pm »
The man at the repair shop refused to take the money and said it wasn't out enough to warrant straightening it! Anyhoo over to the fens on saturday and into top gear and flying - bloody marvellous! I love my bikes!  :)

Vava

« Reply #30 on: 27 July, 2009, 06:48:29 pm »
Forgot to mention that husband was trying cleats for only the second time when we were at the fens and he forgot he had them on and rolled straight over like a domino luckily onto a grass verge. He just lay there laughing and once i knew he was ok so did I - be a while before he lives that one down!

« Reply #31 on: 27 July, 2009, 07:15:25 pm »
Aha, the infamous "clipless moment".

We've all been there, although mine was because one of the bolts came loose, rather than a senior moment. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.