Author Topic: personal safety for elderly people at home  (Read 1865 times)

personal safety for elderly people at home
« on: 27 August, 2009, 12:30:42 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of alarms for elderly people who are living at home alone? I mean the sort of thing that will send an emergency message to a hospital or doctor when the person presses a button.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: personal safety for elderly people at home
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2009, 12:36:02 pm »
I'm not the expert here.
Your first port of call should be your local council - they should operate an alarm scheme.
What you get is a box which fits between the phone socket and your normal phone. The box has a speaker and a microphone.
The housebound person wears a pendant with a button. If they fall, they press the button. The box autodials the alarm people (not the emergency services). The person can then talk to the operator - so I'm nto sure what you do on a two-storey house! The operator has a list of contact numbers which you supply - ie neighbours or relatives who can help. If necessary the operator will phone police or ambulance. The box has a battery backup, and will make an alarm sound if it is disconnected from the phone line.

I stress you should ask your local council first about telecare or alarm schemes.
As a for instance:
Southwark Council | Monitoring and Alarms

« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2009, 12:37:46 pm »
How does the collapsed person talk to the operator if they can't reach a phone?

I'm just after general information on how these work, as the system would be for Australia, so talking to councils etc doesn't apply.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2009, 12:40:19 pm »
No, I read a horrible story of a lady who burnt to death after she'd used one though.
Her chip pan caught fire, she pressed the button. The call centre contacted her nearest who happened to be away and had informed the powers that be.
By the time the communications had got through she had been immolated.
If she had used a simple mobile phone, which hung round her neck, she could have called the fire brigade...

« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2009, 12:40:35 pm »

The box which sits beside the phone has a microphone in it.
When the alarm is installed, you have to activate it by speaking to the operator, as I remember they ask you to speak from a few positions around the house.
As I say, I would imagine in a two-storey house there might be a different system or an extender box.
Google for 'Tunstall Telecomm' who make these things.

« Reply #5 on: 27 August, 2009, 12:44:13 pm »
Ref. what Hellymedic says, a useful thing besides the alarm call is a DECT phone system with big buttons. I bought one for 30 quid from M+S the other day, with two handsets. Old dear should carry one around.
But please use the alarm system also.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: 27 August, 2009, 12:46:17 pm »
My Mum has one but she has to pay for it. About £120 a year if I remember correctly. The problem is getting her to wear it, it spends most of it's time sitting on the table by her chair.  ::-)

She has also lost one, which has been replaced FOC but we've been warned she will have to pay if she loses another. I still think it is worth getting one on balance but Hellymedic's mobile phone is also worth considering as an alternative.

« Reply #7 on: 27 August, 2009, 01:01:17 pm »
With the alarm system, the operator has a list of contact numbers. If the first one isn't available, they can go down the list. The operator can also make intelligent choices of who to call in for help - the first contact could answer but be unable to get there in a reasonable time, so someone else is called (for instance a neighbour).
The operator can also summon ambulance or fire services. But yes, having a DECT type phone also is good.
Remember that if you were lying somewhere unable to get up you might not be in a mood to remember a string of mobile phone numbers. (Yes, I know that mobiles and DECT phones have speed dial lists).

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 27 August, 2009, 01:25:04 pm »
The smaller and lighter the device, and the less often the battery needs charging/replacing, the more of the time the person will wear it.  A special alarm should have the advantage over a mobile phone in these ways.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #9 on: 27 August, 2009, 06:30:35 pm »
There are several options.

Basic alarm - neck pendant or wrist strap unit, with a base unit connected to the phone socket. Person presses the alarm on their pendant, which sends a radio signal to the base unit, which dials the alarm people. Alarm people will speak through the unit and if the person can speak, they can say what's happened. The units are good enough that they can hear and be heard through most of the house. If the person can't speak or can't be heard, the alarm people will contact the named contacts, or if they can't get them, will come out themselves. (This depends on the scheme - some of the private schemes won't go out themselves).

Other options - falls detector, again as a neck pendant or wrist unit. If it detects a sudden sharp movement, it triggers the base unit. These can be really useful for people who have seizures or are likely to fall and be unable to summon help. But, they're not much use for the people who flop down uncontrolledly into chairs as that can set them off.

There are lots of telecare options too - seizure detectors for under the mattress to monitor seizures at night - they can be set to just monitor number and frequency of seizures, or to get help, or to only get help if a seizure goes on for longer than a certain time. Pressure mats under the mattress can detect if someone has got out of bed and not got back into bed within a set time. Some systems are set so that if a person gets out of bed in the night, the lights come on lighting the way to the toilet and back, but leaving other areas in darkness.

Unburnt gas detectors will switch the cooker off at the mains if the gas is on but not lit. Heat detectors turn the cooker off if things start to burn, and/or call the fire brigade. Smoke detectors can alert the fire brigade as well. Flood detectors turn water off if they detect water on the floor from an overflowing sink or bath. You can get safety valve plugs which open to drain water if the weight of the water on top reaches a certain level which is an indication the sink or bath is too full. Door alarms will monitor if someone has gone out in the middle of the night, or you can get remote listening devices so that you can check the person at the door is a genuine caller and not a bogus workman/violent partner etc.  

There are lots of telehealth developments too, although none of them are mainstream yet. Things like people with long term conditions doing their own daily readings - blood sugars, peak flows etc and transmitting the readings straight to their GP.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 27 August, 2009, 08:45:14 pm »
Other options - falls detector, again as a neck pendant or wrist unit. If it detects a sudden sharp movement, it triggers the base unit. These can be really useful for people who have seizures or are likely to fall and be unable to summon help. But, they're not much use for the people who flop down uncontrolledly into chairs as that can set them off.

Do any of these systems have a delay (say 20 seconds) while the person can press a button to cancel the call?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #11 on: 27 August, 2009, 08:57:10 pm »
Not as far as I know, but when the control people speak, the person can say it's a false alarm.

« Reply #12 on: 27 August, 2009, 09:57:05 pm »

I'm just after general information on how these work, as the system would be for Australia, so talking to councils etc doesn't apply.

There will still be some official advice centre.

gordon taylor

« Reply #13 on: 27 August, 2009, 10:29:41 pm »
Some elderly people are much more at risk from their own families and carers, remember.

<Makes me fume...>

Our response to BBC Panorama: Please look After Mum (12.02.07) | Age Concern England

Which says that 10% suffer abuse.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #14 on: 27 August, 2009, 10:31:48 pm »
My Mum has one but she has to pay for it. About £120 a year if I remember correctly. The problem is getting her to wear it, it spends most of it's time sitting on the table by her chair.  ::-)

My grandmother had one, which she kept carefully in a safe place in the kitchen.  ::-)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #15 on: 28 August, 2009, 07:51:38 am »
The other thing is getting them to actually use it if they do fall in the middle of the night. "Oh no dear, I lay there from 1am till 9am, shivering and turning blue, but I didn't want to press it and bother anyone at that time of night."  ::-)

« Reply #16 on: 28 August, 2009, 07:56:42 am »
I thought this thread would be about guns.  We found a loaded 12 bore under my grandads bed when he moved out, he recons it'd been there (loaded and cocked) since about 1960   :o

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #17 on: 28 August, 2009, 10:19:27 am »
Its worth mentioning that some of these phone helplines tell you off if the button to call them is being overused.