Author Topic: moving upright pianos  (Read 2101 times)

moving upright pianos
« on: 02 October, 2009, 02:11:26 pm »
We've been offered the chance to get an upright piano. I've not seen it, heard it isn't in great shape.

Can these be moved at all by an amateur or do you really have to get piano movers in?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
Re: moving upright pianos
« Reply #1 on: 02 October, 2009, 02:13:04 pm »
They are heavy & awkward, and you & your friends would not be insured in case you messed up & either damaged the piano or a wall/door/furniture etc...

But they aren't too bad.  I've moved loads.
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 02 October, 2009, 02:15:27 pm »
We've been offered the chance to get an upright piano. I've not seen it, heard it isn't in great shape.

Can these be moved at all by an amateur or do you really have to get piano movers in?

It'll almost certainly need retuning after being moved anyway. Professional piano movers often do this as part of the service.

The bunch of Kiwi removal men we used when moving house were happy to move it (inlcuding two sets of stairs) on the understanding that they weren't professional piano movers and they wouldn't pay out if there was any damage.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3 on: 02 October, 2009, 02:22:35 pm »
If it's a very old one, make sure it has a metal sound board not wood.

It will need tuning so I recommend a Piano tuner has a "look see" before you commit to any further expense ;)

"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2009, 02:28:12 pm »
I started off with a Freecycled piano and four of us manually shifted it down a short flight of stairs and into a van etc.  It didn't tune up too badly - expect to pay about £40-50 every 6 months for tuning - but it had various other defects (knackered pedals etc), and  the case was fubar hence we've just replaced.  This time, we bought one (2nd hand) and the shop guys turned up with a couple of decent pneumatic-tyred trolleys, some blankets and short ramps etc. Not a mark on the wooden floor afterwards.

Agree with the post re: metal sound board.  If you're paying money I'd bung a piano tuner an hour's pay and get them to give it a look-see for you first.

Q

« Reply #5 on: 02 October, 2009, 02:31:05 pm »
It's free, and I can't get a look-see first.

Googling on weights brings up a range of 300-500lb. If 300lb, I can shift it myself up and down a few steps. If it's more than that I'd struggle a bit. Would need a dolly and van with ramps.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 02 October, 2009, 02:35:11 pm »
They're very top heavy and if they've been standing on a solid floor the wheels may no longer be round. Trust me, I know that there are pifalls to moving upright pianos!

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #7 on: 02 October, 2009, 02:50:29 pm »
My father had a piano shop. When I was about six years old I used to help him with deliveries. Just the two of us could move any upright piano almost anywhere. The secret is to use a piano trolley. I have one you could borrow, but it is in Northampton.

If it's a very old one, make sure it has a metal sound board not wood.

I think you meant wooded frame, as far as I know the sound board is always wood.

It's free, and I can't get a look-see first.

Googling on weights brings up a range of 300-500lb. If 300lb, I can shift it myself up and down a few steps. If it's more than that I'd struggle a bit. Would need a dolly and van with ramps.

Remove the knee board, board above the keys and the key cover. You'll be surprised how much lighter the piano is without them and they won't then fall off whilst you're moving it.

Handy hint when moving pianos - the treble (right side when looking from front) end is usually a lot lighter than the bass as the strings are thiner at the treble end. This is worth remembering if you are lifting the piano onto a trolley as you only need to lift the treble end and poke the trolley under the piano. It is also worth remembering when moving the piano down stairs - take the treble end down first as it is easier to hold up and hotch the bass end down one stair at a time.

« Reply #8 on: 02 October, 2009, 03:06:48 pm »
That's great, Chris, thanks.

Yeah, I was intending to use a trolley. That and ratchet straps which I already have. These are heavy duty ones and I've used them to lift very heavy bits of the pontoon.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #9 on: 02 October, 2009, 03:30:37 pm »
I recently moved a piano.  The room it was in was about to be repainted so it needed shifting.  Despite being a small upright is still too heavy for me.  My brother and I were able to move it a few feet at a time.  I doubt we could move it a long way.

Years ago I was very impressed by some professional piano movers.  They just picked up the old piano which was even heavier as if it only weighed a feather. I was expecting them to use some sort of winch mechanism to get in the van but they just raised their arms and up it went.

I am happy to give this Piano to anyone who would take it away.  Made by Fuchs Mohr.  Modern (1980ish) compact console design.  Suitable for a beginner.  Proper pianists would want something better.  Needs tuning and may need attention of a piano technician.  Has not been played in years. [It's in Cardiff].

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 02 October, 2009, 03:34:01 pm »
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 03 October, 2009, 07:02:51 pm »
This thread is useless without

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HgzEBLa3PPk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HgzEBLa3PPk&rel=1</a>
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #12 on: 03 October, 2009, 08:08:38 pm »