Author Topic: ADSL wired modem playing up...  (Read 2756 times)

ADSL wired modem playing up...
« on: 07 May, 2008, 11:00:09 am »
Our ADSL SmartAX MT882 (TalkTalk) modem seems to be playing up.  For weeks now it hasn't connected directly - you always have to wait for the PC to boot up, and then power cycle the modem before it will connect.  If you power cycle too early this doesn’t seem to work.  I once phoned TalkTalk about this and they said swap the ADSL filter; this doesn’t seem to do the trick.  Could it be that the modem settings need adjusting?  Any ideas?

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

border-rider

Re: ADSL wired modem playing up...
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2008, 11:19:21 am »
Are you connecting it via Ethernet ?

If so, it should be operating independently of the PC anyway.

« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2008, 11:34:48 am »
Are you connecting it via Ethernet ?

If so, it should be operating independently of the PC anyway.

MV, yes ethernet.  It's strange, turn modem on & orange ethernet light comes on OK, but without the powercycle, no connection - just a green link blinkenlight every minute or so.  the cable to the master phone socket is long (goes downstairs), but I not sur if this is the problem really.

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2008, 11:41:05 am »
If the modem is switched on permanently it should stay connected to the adsl line even when the PC is switched off.  The Ethernet port won't show green until the PC is talking to it, I think.  So is the power cycle thing is possibly something to do with the PC initialising its own Ethernet port ?

« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2008, 11:52:13 am »
If the modem is switched on permanently it should stay connected to the adsl line even when the PC is switched off.  The Ethernet port won't show green until the PC is talking to it, I think.  So is the power cycle thing is possibly something to do with the PC initialising its own Ethernet port ?

That's right it does do this.  I can't bring myself to leave it on permanently.  It used to work fine, turn on both PC and modem & by the time the browser was up the connection was there - no longer the case.  I wonder if some software update has interfered with something...?  Come to think of it, a while back AVAST had a false alarm with some anonymous file; I wonder if the two are related...

Andy

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2008, 04:57:45 pm »
If the modem is switched on permanently it should stay connected to the adsl line even when the PC is switched off. 

That's right it does do this.  I can't bring myself to leave it on permanently. 

Why not ?

That's what you are supposed to do. 

If you turn it off every time, you're forcing it to renegotiate with the  adsl line at the same time as it is negotiating with the PC.  I guess it should be able to do that, but for some reason it's struggling. 

« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2008, 05:20:50 pm »
If the modem is switched on permanently it should stay connected to the adsl line even when the PC is switched off. 

That's right it does do this.  I can't bring myself to leave it on permanently. 

Why not ?

That's what you are supposed to do. 

If you turn it off every time, you're forcing it to renegotiate with the  adsl line at the same time as it is negotiating with the PC.  I guess it should be able to do that, but for some reason it's struggling. 

MV, you and vole may be speeding away from your humble carbon footprint in that new Avatar GTi, but I'm concerned that a continuously on modem will increase my 'shoe size' somewhat...  O:-) ;D 

Actually...I just don't like leaving electrical equipment on (the modem has it's own power supply).    :)  But...yes that would be a solution.  I suppose it's just that it used to work every time, but not now.

« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:18:16 am »
Andy think of the modem as an extension of the equipment at the telephone exchange, that gets left on 24 hours a day. Aslo if yuou turn your modem on and off too often the equipment at the exchange will decide that you have a problem with your connection and start lowering the connection speed. It does this quite quickly and you can find yourself at 128K very quickly ! You have to have a stable connection with no more reconnection attempts for at least 24 hours before the exchange starts to up your speed again.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:45:18 am »
Mine  - USB - does a similar thing intermittently.  I sometimes have to unplug the USB cable and bung it back in before the modem will start talking to teh Internets.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2008, 01:39:30 pm »
I'm now leaving the modem on 24-7, as MV suggested, with no probs so far.

Our previous modem was USB powered and that went on and off with the PC with no probs.  For some reason this Huawei SmartAX modem doesn't seem to be able to pick the connection up again once it's been turned off.