Author Topic: Ubuntu Commands to install extra Programmes  (Read 2273 times)

Ubuntu Commands to install extra Programmes
« on: 14 May, 2008, 05:29:56 pm »
In spite of lots of info on installing Programmes in Hardy, I just seem to be missing a basic command or perhaps I am using the wrong terminal. As I understand it we have a home terminal and a root terminal

ljerams@ljerams-laptop:~$ appears if I go Applications - Accessories - Terminal. Is that my home terminal from where I start or is another one hiding somewhere?

Guide me please. I have been using apt-get-install with no success so far :'(
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Re: Ubuntu Commands to install extra Programmes
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2008, 05:33:49 pm »
apt-get install "package"

Notice the space before the install. If your not sure what youre doing it's easier to use the graphical installer and just click on what you want to install.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2008, 05:55:26 pm »
Applications>add/remove

brings up the graphical installer

then look for what you by either name, type or key word and install it from there

edit: the first thing I see there is

20.000 Light Years Into Space
single player real-time strategy game with steampunk sci-fi
You have to build and maintain a steam distribution network on an alien planet, while under attack from aliens and other hazards. The game has three difficulty levels, an interactive tutorial, and a scoring system.

;D

As I understand it we have a home terminal and a root terminal

If you do use the terminal...there is only one terminal.  Think of it as analogous to a DOS command line window.  It's a way into the dark heart of the OS which bypasses the nice easy GUI.

By default it opens with you as user ljerams

Some commands do need you to be "root" to be able to run them.  To use these, precede the command with the word sudo, e.g:

sudo apt-get install "package"

This tells the OS that you want to run the command as root.  It'll then ask for your password to allow it to happen.  Enter the password and the command will run.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2008, 07:48:07 pm »
Menu->System->Adept Manager

Also gives a package handling tool - A little more comprehensive than the "Add/Remove Programs"

bobajobrob

« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2008, 08:17:53 pm »
Menu->System->Adept Manager

I don't think that's on normal ubuntu. It has Synaptic Package Manager instead.

So it's either Applications->Add/Remove or System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager. The former is easier to use and the latter is more advanced and comprehensive.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2008, 08:25:32 pm »
Sorry - you are right - I usually use Kubuntu....

« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2008, 06:04:21 am »
Thanks for all your replies. I seem to have issues with Synaptics which I believe was caused by a corrupt automatic update. Maybe a re-install would be advisable as the latest update just "hangs" also.

Applications>Add/Remove seems to be the best method to adopt so I'll give that a try.

Please stand by for more questions :P

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2008, 07:16:06 am »
Thanks for all your replies. I seem to have issues with Synaptics which I believe was caused by a corrupt automatic update.

Have you seen this ? 

Hardy Heron

I had a very similar problem

« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:11:09 am »
Mal, thanks I had forgotten you reported a similar problem. I'll have a look later as I'm in XP at the moment looking at Programmes and Files that I have yet to evacuate  to Hardy.

The important ones are Olympus and Canon Photos plus Quicken, a building design Programme, a Programme similar to MS Project, not thought that one through yet and maybe anti virus,firewall and a few utilities.

When I have Linux running smoothly I will cast Microshaft over board (my dream) :D

« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2008, 06:06:41 pm »
Pleased :D to report that the update bug was indeed my problem also and that everything is running smoothly again ;)

Hope I can remember the cure if it happens again?

border-rider

« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2008, 06:47:30 pm »
 :)