Author Topic: Eco 'countdown' traffic lights  (Read 2305 times)

Eco 'countdown' traffic lights
« on: 15 December, 2009, 01:37:56 pm »

Nice "simples" idea HERE.
A stop light that tells you how long or short a time it'll be before you're on your merry way.

Singing the "countdown" TV-tune to yourself to coincide with it is totally optional.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Re: Eco 'countdown' traffic lights
« Reply #1 on: 15 December, 2009, 01:43:33 pm »
But my prized local knowledge is knowing the light cycles round here. I know precisely when it's worth powering for the last remnant of amber green and when to dwawdle absent mindedly towards a red.

Doing the commute without putting a foot down is one of my small pleasures in life.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 15 December, 2009, 01:44:31 pm »

Nice "simples" idea HERE.
A stop light that tells you how long or short a time it'll be before you're on your merry way.

Singing the "countdown" TV-tune to yourself to coincide with it is totally optional.

I've seen similar concepts in the UK and Europe, both for cars and for cyclists.

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 15 December, 2009, 02:18:24 pm »
Terrible idea!  You'd have every car driver revving their engine ready to drop the clutch for a proper 'racing start', and gods help anyone caught in their way.  No no no no no! :hand:
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2009, 02:23:42 pm »
Terrible idea!  You'd have every car driver revving their engine ready to drop the clutch for a proper 'racing start', and gods help anyone caught in their way.  No no no no no! :hand:

That's not been my experience of similar set ups in the US and Europe.

But then again, could you imagine such a set up in chavtastic Swinedun?   :-\
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2009, 02:25:32 pm »

What?!? Even 68yr-old Granny Goody-Gumdrops? Put the tartan bootee to the floor. Wahey!!!!!
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 15 December, 2009, 03:10:28 pm »
It was her that nearly mowed me down in Balham this morning, so, yes.
Getting there...

spen666

« Reply #7 on: 15 December, 2009, 03:25:15 pm »

My disguise fooled you then?

« Reply #8 on: 15 December, 2009, 03:32:02 pm »

Ooooh, a toyboy.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #9 on: 15 December, 2009, 06:15:27 pm »
Which reminds me, it's nearly the solstice so we need to get our sweeties ready to leave our solstice offerings to the traffic light goblins.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #10 on: 15 December, 2009, 06:28:09 pm »

I think they should have speakers on the lights to play the opening notes of The Chain during the countdown.  And perhaps they could paint some extra white lines so that people can position themselves correctly on the grid.   :)
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #11 on: 15 December, 2009, 07:19:53 pm »
They would need two countdown rings round here, one for minutes.

My record is 8 minutes 20 seconds waiting at lights, at about 11 pm, during which time one car from the side road came through.

The lights only turned green when someone behind me went through the red lights on the wrong side of the road.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Zoidburg

« Reply #12 on: 15 December, 2009, 07:30:06 pm »
My thoughts exactly, it would be like the start line of a rally stage when they show them the the timer

"Beep...beep...beep"

Floor it!

« Reply #13 on: 15 December, 2009, 07:30:33 pm »

My record is 8 minutes 20 seconds waiting at lights, at about 11 pm, during which time one car from the side road came through.

The lights only turned green when someone behind me went through the red lights on the wrong side of the road.

Was you cycling or motoring?

Zoidburg

« Reply #14 on: 15 December, 2009, 07:54:30 pm »

Was you cycling or motoring?
When I get that I point my bike lights up at the sensor and give the bars a wiggle, then the lights change.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #15 on: 15 December, 2009, 07:58:13 pm »

If I had to wait that long with no counter traffic, I'd mentally tag the lights as "out of order" and invoke the relevant bit of the Highway Code and ignore them. I mean, "proceed with care" - perfectly legal to cycle through red. An 8 minute delay would count as not operational, I'm fairly certain.

« Reply #16 on: 15 December, 2009, 08:07:19 pm »
I was motoring.

The lights weren't working properly, but you can be sure that the CPS could find a bunch of engineers who would be out of their jobs if they didn't swear that they were in perfect working order if I tried to defend a prosecution. It would be expensive.

I've twice written to the local authority about those lights, but they still stay on red for everyone until the sensors see a car (and I'm fairly sure not a bike) coming. If the sensors miss a car, it has to stop and the sensors can't see it any more.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17 on: 16 December, 2009, 04:23:05 am »
This is used at lost of signals in India and Sri Lanka, and it works well. It doesn't result in GP starts, but does prompt people to turn off their engines while waiting. Though as fuel is relatively much cheaper in the UK, that benefit may not occur.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.